RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > Scanners, Receivers and Related Equipment Forums > Whistler Scanners

Whistler Scanners - For discussion of Whistler branded scanners.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 10-17-2016, 9:39 AM

That will require a hardware change, something to be considered for future scanners.

/Ubbe
Old 11-19-2016, 4:05 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Thumbs down DAC settings etc for Ohio MARCS p25-IP

The scanner is so sensitive I get numerous sites in the Williams/Fulton/Defiance County area of Ohio when I use the scanner mobile. I have a constant problem of the scanner opening for a transmission and then cutting the transmission of after a syllable or two. Other than global attenuation (which cuts out too much) are there other settings (such as DAC) that will solve this problem?
Old 11-19-2016, 8:19 AM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos

Thanks for the review!
Old 12-27-2016, 10:02 PM

Default Reception Issues on P25?

Now, I don't know if anyone else is having the same issue as me. I live in the Hudson Valley of New York where we have implemented a Motorola P25 Phase II TDMA 700 MHz Digital system. I have the scanner mounted in my car with the unit itself under the passenger seat, the remote head on the dashboard, with it getting power from a fuse block which is connected to the ignition, and grounded to the chassis. I'm running a PCTEL 740-870 MHz antenna with a trunk lip mount mounted to the hood of the car. I am still experiencing poor reception issues. No matter where in the county I go, I only get bits and pieces of whatever digital talkgroup I am monitoring. It's as if I can hear a conversation perfectly clear in one spot, but if I drive 30', I cant hear anything. The TGID comes up, with UIDs displayed, but no audio. Yet with my Uniden BCD536HP, using the same antenna, same mounting, and same power supply, I can hear everything. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Old 12-27-2016, 10:57 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

In the trunking system tab have you adjusted the multi site settings
In the advanced tab have you adjusted the DSP settings
Old 12-28-2016, 12:06 AM

No, I didn't adjust any of that, I downloaded a direct CSV file from RR and put the system in. Any idea what I should adjust them to?
Old 12-28-2016, 8:57 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Lack of GPS killed it for me, I am a bigtime user of GPS in a mobile unit. Went with another 996P2 since it has it, and it works good. If the TRX-2 had GPS capability, I would have gotten one. Huge disappointment.

On that note, I would LOVE to have a handheld with GPS. No need to set scanlist while you travel. Can't see how much of a problem this could be, virtually every cel phone out there has GPS....
Old 04-02-2017, 12:48 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

[QUOTE=Ubbe;2655035
I made a memory function that remembered the last status, either the radio was on or off when the power dissapeared and started up in the same status when power was applied. I feel that is the most logical way to handle power on from ignition. If you manually turn off the scanner before switching off the ignition, you'll probably want it to be off regardless of the ignition. There could be situations where you don't want the scanner to switch on every time you turn the ignition on, and then have to wait for the startup procedures to finish before you can use the on/off button.

/Ubbe[/QUOTE]

Agreed. I plan on running a power switch to control a TRX-2 and a 2m/70cm rig, but don't want to have to manually power the scanner on in addition to throwing that switch. As of now, the remote head is the only reason I'm looking at getting one of these.
Old 05-18-2017, 6:13 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Default TRX-2 Analog/P25 Phase II?

So. I'm the new owner of the Whistler TRX-2 Scanner. First time owning anything but a Uniden. I have P25 Phase II and Analog in my scanlist, I have the Squelch set to 9 and now I'm not picking up my Phase II system. I'm on an outdoor antenna. Any settings I'm missing, I really like having the analog channels in the same scanlist as not all of the towns around me have converted to the county wide system. So I still need to monitor the PD & FD preferably in same scan list as it just makes things neater.

Any suggestions are appreciated.
Old 05-18-2017, 6:50 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyscan View Post
So. I'm the new owner of the Whistler TRX-2 Scanner. First time owning anything but a Uniden. I have P25 Phase II and Analog in my scanlist, I have the Squelch set to 9 and now I'm not picking up my Phase II system. I'm on an outdoor antenna. Any settings I'm missing, I really like having the analog channels in the same scanlist as not all of the towns around me have converted to the county wide system. So I still need to monitor the PD & FD preferably in same scan list as it just makes things neater.

I would try using another antenna that has worked with Phase II. You can also try searching your control channels and see if will lock on and decode.
Old 05-18-2017, 6:55 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Just for giggles turn on the attenuation and see it you get a flashing T from time to time.
Old 05-18-2017, 9:38 PM

Quote:

Hi there...neighbor from Chicago here with a TRX-2. Like you I also came from Uniden and took me a couple days to get the hang of the EZ Scan software which I'll assume you're using. Recheck your System/Site settings and make sure you have your Talk groups and Radio ID's (If Programmed) on the same Scan List number. Also Add Wildcard under Talk group, that way you'll be able to pin point if the issue is programming or something else. Wildcard will bring up all active Talk groups (Like Uniden's ID Search). Start there...see if you can back track. I've been there...lol!
Old 05-29-2017, 6:38 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Hello all! I've been a faithful die-hard Uniden user for many years now, usually nobody can come close to their quality of scanner! I own a BCD536HP since the first week they came out and so far I've liked it. But then I saw the TRX-2 and it looks like a really sharp scanner, plus doing NXDN and stuff. I've been considering selling my BCD536HP and a couple of my Unication alpha pagers & my Minitor fire pagers to try and get the money to get a TRX-2. My only concern about the TRX-2 is it doesn't follow the Control channel true trunk-tracking like Unidens do. Can anyone compare the 2 units for me, and can someone also tell me when switching from a Uniden can you notice any difference with trunking since it scans all the frequencies instead of Control Channels? Thanks!
Old 06-03-2017, 12:41 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Ok so I have Checked all those suggestions. Im able to hear some stuff but not like with my Uniden BCD536HP. Using same antenna. Its like its too much like its signal overload. I have attenuated but then miss stuff. I'm thinking it needs to go back and I'll just use another Uniden BCD536HP remote mounted with a windows tablet running PROSCAN to control remotely. Any suggestions.
Old 06-03-2017, 2:17 AM

When I had my 436HP, I walked around my apartment scanning the same small group of active digital 3600 talkgroups with 436 in one hand and my TRX in the other. I gotta tell you, each one would pick up stuff the other one would miss, it was not at all a consistent experience. I summed it up to be a toss-up between the two. I went TRX because the HP scanners have way too much bass in the audio, which I find difficult to understand, and they vibrate the case at high audio levels. My 536 is even worse with the bass..it does make the scanners sound more "expensive", but not good for if you really need to clearly hear voice.

And if you want to do a side by side of Uniden and Whistler, or any scanner, please ensure you set the system hold/dwell time to the maximum. On a Uniden, if you set it for 0 or 1 second, it will literally DROP listening to the control channel every second or so, which would cause a disruption in it's ability to receive a hit. The Whistlers are probably the same, but they lack the signal bars and such to know really WTF they are doing when scanning...I don't even know what S means.

Paul
Old 06-03-2017, 6:13 AM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos

Quote:

Add the Squelch Tone to the couple of towns that are still conventional , and run the squelch set to Min. Use a RS800mhz antenna or equivalent with a right angle adapter.
Old 06-03-2017, 6:45 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

I definitely agree that the Uniden has way to much bass. I'll give the squelch tone a try.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 06-04-2017, 9:00 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Default Whistler TRX-2 Review

Ok. I have added the squelch tone. Which seems to have helped a lot more than I thought it would. Reception def better but it still seems like I'm getting garbled reception. What's the zero,attic settings in EZ scan all about.

Old 06-04-2017, 9:23 AM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos

Quote:
Ok. I have added the squelch tone. Which seems to have helped a lot more than I thought it would. Reception def better but it still seems like I'm getting garbled reception. What's the zero,attic settings in EZ scan all about.

Did you set the squelch to Min? Lowest setting it can go. I think you mentioned you were using a outdoor antenna, I would take it off of that if you have the squelch set to Min. I am listening right now and have very little to no garbled reception. However that could be that I am in a good location. I usually have no problems at all with reception, if I do all I have to do is change the angle of the antenna, right now all I am using is a stock rubber duck antenna from another scanner, with a right angle adapter, I have it at a 90 degree angle now. There are some times I use the RS 800mhz antenna. It seems like weather effects reception the most. I find usually clear warm to hot sunny days effect it the most.
Attached Images

Old 06-04-2017, 9:58 AM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos

Here is a better view of my antenna. Also Zeromatic is more for when using the Search function I believe, I rarely ever do any searching so I have not messed with that setting, I just leave it at its default setting.
Attached Images