TRX-1 USB Cable not recognized Windows 7

Status
Not open for further replies.

del1964

Premium Subscriber
TRX-1 USB Cable not recognized Windows 7

I tried the Windows 10 fix thread and that did not work. Scanner does work and reads from SD card so I know there's no problem with that.

I downloaded from Whistler site the TRX-1 PC Driver. Fiddled around inside device manager and it says "Unknown Device"

Help

del1964

Premium Subscriber
Turn off the scanner when you connect to it.

Ok turned scanner off. Unplugged USB cable. Pugged back in. Made the windows "sound". Scanner shows time and charging.

Then window popped up in lower right hand corner saying USB device not recognized. "One of the USB devices attached to this computer has malfunctioned and windows does not recognize it......"

del1964

Premium Subscriber
you are going to have to uninstall that driver in windows hardware the one with the yellow ! download the whistler driver from the whistler FAQ and update your driver.

I'm in Whistler FAQ area.....where is the driver? Under what question exactly?

Is the Whistler_TRX-1.inf the driver file? I have that Any special place that goes?

Last edited:

SCPD

QRT
Software

Uninstall the WHISTLER softwarre.Turn your computer off and on several times..Plug the scanner in the USB port with scanner Off.
Let the computer install the whistler software itself.
I had Windows 7 and this is how I did it.
If scanner is not off,Windows installs the drivers and its Wrong!

oh and when it says its an untested driver click install anyway because it asks you.The driver or correct .inf file is on the SD card unless you formatted the card( or Prepare SD card) then you need to get a copy of the software because if you clicked format sd card it Erases the Ezscan off the card and guess what gives it the driver>>??The software! So never hit prepare sd card unless you are using a store-bought SD card!
Everyone who buys a WHISTLER or GRE 800,remember to keep the stock sd card and get yourself a spare and play with the spare,your stock sd card is used for installing the software.

Fxdscon provided a link so you can get that software back on your sd card,do it then make the file read only .

Last edited:

del1964

Premium Subscriber
I got to work easily on my older Windows Vista desktop computer. Thank you guys for all the troubleshooting advice. I've been programming scanners for years via the computer but things have gotten trickier with the newer Windows operating systems looking like.

Thanks again!
Great group of radio enthusiasts up in here!!!

del1964

Premium Subscriber
I've tried everything listed here..... Half a dozen times....staying up late late last night.
Still a No Go on my Windows 7 laptop. I'm wondering if it doesn't like the unsigned certificate.....maybe a security measure. Is this overridable?

Like I said, it worked fine on my Windows Vists desktop computer. Puzzled.

SCPD

QRT
Worked on my Windows 7,maybe you should
1.Do a Darik's boot nuke
2.Install Windows 7 all over again using a Full Windows 7 CD

Sounds to me like something is corrupted.
Windows 7 is practically Vista with a prettier face.

Im running 10 now,and that works too.10 is still a pretty Vista.
XP is still the better OS!

del1964

Premium Subscriber
Worked on my Windows 7,maybe you should
1.Do a Darik's boot nuke
2.Install Windows 7 all over again using a Full Windows 7 CD

Sounds to me like something is corrupted.
Windows 7 is practically Vista with a prettier face.

Im running 10 now,and that works too.10 is still a pretty Vista.
XP is still the better OS!

Yikes! No thanks I tried holding down F8 during the booting process and turned off not allowing unsigned drivers. Still doesn't work. Laptop is what I really want to use so I can program the scanner more conveniently anywhere. Maybe I should try a card reader

del1964

Premium Subscriber
GOT IT

I GOT IT

Shut down computer

Shut off scanner

Plug Scanner with USB cable into computer

Power on Computer

That's it.....It installed the driver from the SD card on the scanner and then I was able to proceed with setup.exe and install everything.

I think what it was doing when computer on and plugging in scanner, was quickly installing a useless Windows driver. Computer was faster than accessing the SD card.

If this helps one person, I'll be happy! :)

SCPD

QRT
See it was post #8 .....Glad you got it.
Enjoy yor new toy!

PS transfer is faster with the SD card reader when only doing database changes/updates.

But firmware and DSP updates you must have the scanner connected with USB unfortunately.

PeaceOut-

jaspence

Premium Subscriber
Windows 10 and drivers

"10 is still a pretty Vista" Vista was a memory and processor hog, Win 10 runs great on my tablet with 1 gig of ram and a far less power hungry processor.

For those who do not work with drivers in other computer situations, it is not only scanners that have problems. Touch pads, printers, and other "normal" computer devices have seen plenty of yellow triangles. Each update of 10 has brought improvements, but some older hardware will never work with Windows 10.

del1964

Premium Subscriber
I GOT IT

Shut down computer

Shut off scanner

Plug Scanner with USB cable into computer

Power on Computer

That's it.....It installed the driver from the SD card on the scanner and then I was able to proceed with setup.exe and install everything.

I think what it was doing when computer on and plugging in scanner, was quickly installing a useless Windows driver. Computer was faster than accessing the SD card.

If this helps one person, I'll be happy! :)

Update (7-18-2016).....I have to do this everytime or else if I have the computer running AND THEN plug the scanner, it'll revert back to the USB driver error. Soooooooo I think I'll break down and get an SD card reader.

HOLEBILLY

Brian from whistler tech department just had control of my computer and scanner about 2 hours and could not get it going. He said he did not know what was wrong but he could not get it solved. So now zip scanner is going to research it tonight and call me tomorrow, if they cant get it going he said I could send it back.

TAbirdman

Brian from whistler tech department just had control of my computer and scanner about 2 hours and could not get it going. He said he did not know what was wrong but he could not get it solved. So now zip scanner is going to research it tonight and call me tomorrow, if they cant get it going he said I could send it back.

So you have the same Windows 7 issues that the OP did? What is your issue, PC doesn't "See" the scanner?

HOLEBILLY

same issue. The whistler tech said he did everything he new of and no luck, it just wont work

SCPD

QRT
TRY THIS

same issue. The whistler tech said he did everything he new of and no luck, it just wont work

In search box type services.msc IUnless you know how to go to services.msc Start your WINDOWS INSTALLER SERVICE manually. I had the same issue and thats what fixed it .

Status
Not open for further replies.