TRX-1 DMR/MotoTRBO Talkgroup discovery

Status
Not open for further replies.

gwbaker

My local government uses MotoTRBO Capacity Plus Multi Site system. The radio reference database has all the freqs, but only a few of the most popular talk groups such as police and fire dispatch. I know that there are many other talk groups. Using a wildcard only search and recording everything, I hope to identify most, if not all talk groups.

The busiest talk groups are already known and in a 24 hour period there were 1800 recordings to sift through, most from groups that I already know. But, I think I at least identified one new group.

Now, if I add the known talk groups and lock them out, will they still hit using the wildcard search? I want to stop recording the known groups and only record the unknown groups to help speed my work of identifying the unknown groups.

Thanks for the help!!!

bravo14

Premium Subscriber
My local government uses MotoTRBO Capacity Plus Multi Site system. The radio reference database has all the freqs, but only a few of the most popular talk groups such as police and fire dispatch. I know that there are many other talk groups. Using a wildcard only search and recording everything, I hope to identify most, if not all talk groups.

The busiest talk groups are already known and in a 24 hour period there were 1800 recordings to sift through, most from groups that I already know. But, I think I at least identified one new group.

Now, if I add the known talk groups and lock them out, will they still hit using the wildcard search? I want to stop recording the known groups and only record the unknown groups to help speed my work of identifying the unknown groups.

Thanks for the help!!!

If you lockout the known and still want to record new TG you can do that it will not stop on a lock out channel.

kikito

Premium Subscriber

Thanks for the help!!!

I believe that's how it works HOWEVER, I also believe you'll have to be 'scanning' the WIldcard in order for it to skip the known, locked out TGs. Otherwise, if you're 'paused' or 'on hold' on the Wildcard, it'll stop on everything that becomes active.

troymail

Silent Key
To my knowledge, if you program the frequencies as conventional, lockout locks out frequencies and not talkgroups.

If it is and/or you have programmed it as a trunked system with both known talkgroups and a wildcard object, you'll be able to lock out the known talkgroups. Then, as new talkgroups appear as a result of the wildcard, you can add those talkgroups by pressing MENU and then selecting "Store Wildcard" and pressing SEL. Then, when that talkgroup is known and you want to lock that one out, you can and keep searching for more.

SCPD

QRT
I think of you "skipped"all known talkgroups it would "find" those talkgroups as "new"
same thing happens with Unidens.You have to scan the known talkgroups to be able to find new ones or "wildcard talkgroups".What a pain right?
You could set the wildcard to beep or alert you.When scanning ,hit MENU and store the new wildcard item to a "special default playlist" while you arre looking,this way all the new ones would be stored in that "special default playlist" for review later......
In settings you can change the default playlist Number.

WIldcard>STORE>default playlist

gwbaker

Okay, with your help and a lot of experimentation I have found what I hoped is correct. As I find new groups that I have identified, I add them to the trunked system talkgroup list, along with the wildcard search. I then lockout the known talkgroup in the same list with the wildcard. The result is not hearing or recording the known group and only hearing and recording the talkgroups I have not yet added.

This is exactly what I was hoping and within a week or so I hope to have every talkgroup identified. I will then submit it to the rr database for the benefit of others.

Thanks for the advise and help!

AggieCon

Premium Subscriber
You figured out the key: They have to be in the same scanlist. I have a separate V-Scanner folder for discovery that I run at night or other times I am not using the scanner. That way I can easily switch back to the v-scanner folder with all of the good stuff active when I want to listen.

Sorting the recordings by talkgroup can be useful. But sometimes chronological order is best since they might give a hit like "hey switch to tac 2."

When you go to share the info with Radio Reference, while you are spending the time to duplicate your info, remember Radio Reference is the reason you cannot export from your own scanner the data that you discovered on your own, and, to my knowledge, this website is not expending any resources to discover radio information through methods such as FOIA or trunking discovery.

Edit: I just bought the domain digitaltalkgroup.com. I will post to it any talkgroups I receive. I will create a Quick Import function that will make it extremely easy to import into existing systems in Sentinel and EZ Scan.

Last edited:

Voyager

I think of you "skipped"all known talkgroups it would "find" those talkgroups as "new"
same thing happens with Unidens.

No. On the Uniden if a TG is programmed and avoided, it will not be found in ID SEARCH (the Uniden equivalent of Wildcard).

I thought the GREs were the same - any TG locked out would not be found on the Wildcard.

kikito

Premium Subscriber
No. On the Uniden if a TG is programmed and avoided, it will not be found in ID SEARCH (the Uniden equivalent of Wildcard).

I thought the GREs were the same - any TG locked out would not be found on the Wildcard.

GRE/Whistlers ARE the same as long as you keep 'scanning' the Wildcard TG. If you're paused or on 'Hold' on the Wildcard, it'll monitor everything. Just like I said earlier above.

I see the behavior as a nice feature to monitor everything easily without having to unlock everything each time you want or need to do that.

Status
Not open for further replies.