How do you differentiate Con+ from Cap+ from Tier III in the TRX series

Status
Not open for further replies.

jje64

I am close to pulling the trigger on purchasing either a TRX or a Uniden DMR scanner. I am partial to the Whistler brand, but it is not clear to me on how one differentiates between those 3 trunking systems in the SW. Can someone please give me some pointers on how i differentiate between them in the programming?

Does the TRX do auto LCN sorting like the Uniden?
Also, will the display show a symbol as to which system the radio is tuned? For example, will it show "CON" when on a Connect plus system?

Thank You
jje64

Last edited:

kikito

Premium Subscriber
Put simply, on the TRX you just enter the frequencies as a trunk system or conventional and go!

The TRX does not show a symbol for the type of system or frequency being monitored. But since you don't really needed to program it I guess it becomes a moot point.

jje64

If you don't know the system type (Con+,Cap+, conv) beforehand then it sounds like you must either always enter it as a trunk system or use DSD+ to ID the system before entering it in the scanner,'

For example, if i am searching a range of frequencies with the radio and ID a freq as DMR and get the CC and TG from the radio, the radio has no way of telling me any other info about system type.

I wish to use the radio to help ID systems w/o resorting to DSD+ and a PC.

Is my assumption on the radio operation incorrect?

kikito

Premium Subscriber
I know what you're saying and the short, quick answer would be to get a Uniden if you want the extra piece of info at this time.

Haven't heard if Whistler will ever do an update to show system type, etc. like the Unidens but for me is not a deal breaker.

The TRX does tell you Color Code, Slot #, Talkgroup and Radio ID.

The Unidens will tell you in addition to that: System Type, Network ID and Site ID.

But you don't need all that latter info to program the DMR stuff on the radio, especially on the TRX. In fact, neither radio brand has a place where you can enter system type (CON+, CAP+, etc.) or the Net or Site ID. So that's all only good to help identify specific systems as you stated you wanted. And the best way, in my opinion, still is the good old fashion way and fun part of the hobby: monitoring.

Status
Not open for further replies.