WS1080 Battery Qusetion

Status
Not open for further replies.

mvapg

Premium Subscriber
I am new here....just got a WS1080. I need suggestions on batteries and chargers. Are my phone chargers ok to use to power the scanner? What are the best rechargable batteries to use? thanks

SCPD

QRT
I am new here....just got a WS1080. I need suggestions on batteries and chargers. Are my phone chargers ok to use to power the scanner? What are the best rechargable batteries to use? thanks

You really can't beat the Panasonic BK-3HCCA4BA Eneloop Pro batteries. They are 2550mAh and are listed at 500 recharge cycles but I am seeing around 650 cycles using the Panasonic BQ-CC17KSBA charger. You can get both the charger and 4 batteries for around $25.

You can save some cash and purchase the Amazon branded clone of these (AmazonBasics AA High-Capacity) but I can't comment on the recharge cycles as I only have about 150 cycles on them.

Anne-britt

SCPD

QRT
Best charger out there .. Chargers - 4-Cell Charger & Analyzer - Maha Energy

I do agree on the Panasonic batteries above .. ;-)

Have this model and the BC1000 charger from La Crosse as well, and I agree, both are the best for more advanced users. A nudge goes to the Maha for the better warranty.

The reason I suggested the CC17, it's the best "entry level" charger I have found.

Anne-britt

Ed6698

Thesehttps://www.radioshack.com/products/radioshack-aa-1-2v-2500mah-ni-mh-batteries-4-pack work really well with my PRO-668 (which is essentially the same scanner). Any 500 mA or higher mini-USB charger should work just fine, but I do use a 550 mA Motorola phone charger on mine (5 volts, of course).

I always use the Panasonic Eneloop Pros, however I am going to look into getting a set of the RS rechargeable from the link you provided. They are in the store also, I still have 5 RS stores by me in a 10 mile radius. Bankruptcy does not appear to have effected them much that I can see, but I don't go to RS regularly so I really don't know. Still have the 800mhz antenna in store, even got a right angle BNC adapter from there before.

Maha charger works great for me, I have 2 of them.

SCPD

QRT
You really can't beat the Panasonic BK-3HCCA4BA Eneloop Pro batteries. They are 2550mAh and are listed at 500 recharge cycles but I am seeing around 650 cycles using the Panasonic BQ-CC17KSBA charger. You can get both the charger and 4 batteries for around $25.

You can save some cash and purchase the Amazon branded clone of these (AmazonBasics AA High-Capacity) but I can't comment on the recharge cycles as I only have about 150 cycles on them.

Anne-britt

Sorry for the typo, I meant to say 550 deep-discharge cycles NOT 650.

AggieCon

Premium Subscriber
Good battery recommendations above.

Regarding charging, 95% of the time, I charge my batteries using the scanner through the USB cable either plugged into the computer, the car (it has a computer with a USB hub), a cigarette plug transformer, or an AC transformer (iPhone, etc.). 95% of this charging is done while the scanner is running. Some might attack this practice, but it is incredibly convenient and works well for me. Of course, if you want maximum longevity for your batteries, let them do complete decharge/charge cycles, don't let them sit low or empty for long, and use a good external charger.

Status
Not open for further replies.