Is it worth switching from a BCD536HP to a TRX-2?

Status
Not open for further replies.

divison200

Is it worth switching from a BCD536HP to a TRX-2

In My opinion, no, the 536HP is a much better radio, through performance, larger screen, easy to use, plus you have wifi. It has been a pleasure to use. I have used both radios for this conclusion.

radio3353

Can you be a little more specific?

For example, does the TRX-2 have a feature you want that the 536 does not have? Is there a problem with your 536 that a TRX-2 will fix? You didn't give us much to go on.

ecarvalho

Can you be a little more specific?

For example, does the TRX-2 have a feature you want that the 536 does not have? Is there a problem with your 536 that a TRX-2 will fix? You didn't give us much to go on.

As far as decoding DMR and P25 I / II ... I get tired of fiddling with my 536 settings to get somewhat better P25 and DMR

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

radio3353

As far as decoding DMR and P25 I / II ... I get tired of fiddling with my 536 settings to get somewhat better P25 and DMR

I have read on these forums that people seem happy with the DMR performance. If your P25 systems are simulcast, you may be very disappointed depending on your location relative to the system's towers. This has been discussed extensively on these forums. There is no consumer scanner that will reliably receive P25 simulcast systems unless you are very lucky to be in a sweet spot.

ecarvalho

Understood- perhaps I better wait for Uniden to get a stable firmware out past this last update

Jay911

Silent Key (April 15th, 2023)
Feed Provider
I've never had to "fiddle" with the P25 settings on my x36 (or really any other scanner with the ability to "fiddle" with the settings). That may be more telling of the good design/implementation of the systems around me than anything else, though. I just put in the freq, set it to P25, and it comes in crystal clear.

ecarvalho

I've never had to "fiddle" with the P25 settings on my x36 (or really any other scanner with the ability to "fiddle" with the settings). That may be more telling of the good design/implementation of the systems around me than anything else, though. I just put in the freq, set it to P25, and it comes in crystal clear.

I believe one of the P25 systems around here is mixed ... TDMA PT0 / 1 and I find myself having to change to Manual 7 instead of Auto 8.... DMR is also a pain here... a simple ham repeater DMR is impossible to hear on my 536 but I hear it on my MD-380

SCPD

QRT
Youre kidding,right?

In My opinion, no, the 536HP is a much better radio, through performance, larger screen, easy to use, plus you have wifi. It has been a pleasure to use. I have used both radios for this conclusion.

I had the 536HP and the radio in it just sucks on airband and 440MHZ!
For 800 its ok.
For a better overall experience,I would get a TRX2!Sounds better,clearer audio,better sensitivity,the radio in it blows the Uniden out of the water!
I hated the muddy hard to understand bassy sound recessed speaker on the BCD-536HP.Phase 2 and airband were impossible to hear.I actually modified the cabinet on my BCD-536HP to make the speaker flush to the holes on the cabinet,why should I have to modify something that much if its new?
I had to get rid of it in favor of a Whistler.The BCD-536Hp took away two of my scanners,I was so excited to get it too.What a let down it was.And the Uniden software is garbage compared to EZscan! With Ezscan,I dont need MICROSOFT .NET FRAMEWORK (to me,is spyware)
I was a Uniden guy until the HP series of scanners,now I am pro-Whistler.

Oh and if you get the TRX2,your GRE 800 can use the same ezscan file .

Nasby

You are a lucky, lucky man.

ecarvalho

Running against my old GRE PSR-800, on the same system holding on the same channel, the BCD536HP is not following the conversation and I heard it all only on the GRE. Is a P25 system.
I will continue to monitor both radios on the same channel.
I am probably not doing a very good test as the Whistler is not the same as the old GRE but perhaps similar.

ecarvalho

Are you using factory settings for decoding? You might change the decoding settings and find a big suprise.

on the BCD536HP on this particular system I have to use P25 manual 7 instead of Auto 8.
factory settings on the GRE.

ecarvalho

Would Whistler send me a demo TRX2 locked on this system and particularly this channel so I may compare and make a decision?

Status
Not open for further replies.