won't go past Bandplan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gadgetman728

Premium Subscriber
Just got my new TRX1, put batteries in it and when it boots, it stops on BANDPLAN USA. It says press SEL to SET. When I press SEL it just beeps.
Any ideas?

Gadgetman728

Premium Subscriber
Called Whistler again, Miranda said the techs are still on the phone - For 2.5 hours. Very disappointed.
Probably just going to box it back up and send it back. poor scanner worse support!

greggk

Premium Subscriber
Called Whistler again, Miranda said the techs are still on the phone - For 2.5 hours. Very disappointed.
Probably just going to box it back up and send it back. poor scanner worse support!

FWIW...I have had two Whistler TRX-2 scanners over the last month or so. Neither worked correctly and both were sent back. On both scanners, the SD card inside was a "no name" card with no identifying information on them. I don't see Whistler stepping up on these forums to offer any help.

My opinion: Send it back and buy a Uniden 436. I love mine, and I suspect most other 436 owners are happy as well. I exchanged my TRX-2 models for a new, shiny Uniden 536. When possible, I always buy from Amazon. They usually have the lowest prices and, without doubt, the best customer service around.

Again, IMHO.

greggk

Premium Subscriber
By the way, I was told by Whistler that they only have two scanner techs. I could never get thru either. They took my name/number and never called back. It was not until the day I called and explained my $600.00 scanner is not working, and I WANT TO TALK to someone. They called me back in 5 minutes.

Gadgetman728

Premium Subscriber
I sent the vendor off ebay a message about it, and he wants to charge me a 15% restocking fee if I don't take an exchange. 15% of $500 is $75 for something that wasn't my fault. Are there no honest people left in this world?
I'm truly disappointed with Whistler, I thought maybe Whistler Wendy would show up and help out, but nope!

woodpecker

I sent the vendor off ebay a message about it, and he wants to charge me a 15% restocking fee if I don't take an exchange. 15% of $500 is $75 for something that wasn't my fault. Are there no honest people left in this world?
I'm truly disappointed with Whistler, I thought maybe Whistler Wendy would show up and help out, but nope!

Doesn't Ebay / Paypal offer you protection, fire in a dispute.

Gadgetman728

Premium Subscriber
They do, but I really wanted a working TRX1 in my collection. I've got so many in my collection, I even have a set of parts drawers with frequency crystals in them from way back. My first Hand Held had 4 crystals in it, back in 1972!

As far as the 436 goes, I'm not a huge fan of the programming the BCD396XT uses, with all the different quick keys. Is the programming for the 436 any different or the same? I don't mind the SD card for programming.

I've always liked the programming software Don Starr puts out, Win 95,96, 97 and 500. I love object oriented scanning. It seems very intuitive.

D

darunimal

For the BCDx36HP Series
They made 3 different List to decipher your stuff, 2 List for Quick Keys and 1 List for Service Types, download Sentinel and try for free http://wiki.radioreference.com/index.php/Sentinel_(Uniden_software)

For the TRX Series
1. Did you upload programming to the card?
2. Is it brand new?
3. Have you attempted to hook it up-to the computer and do updates that way.
4. Have you tried constant power from a USB power cable.
5. When you removed batteries did you hold the power button down without batteries for 30seconds to dissipate energy from internals?

K9DAK

Premium Subscriber
Check to see if there's a stuck key on the keypad... I remember a thread here a few weeks ago where a user had a similar problem (stuck key), exchanged the scanner, and the replacement was fine.

Gadgetman728

Premium Subscriber
It's Brand new, I installed freshly charged, fairly new eneloop batteries, turned it on, it ask what bandplan, USA? It said press SEL to set. I pushed SEL, it just beeped, one time per push.
I remember reading about updating the DSP & CPU firmware so I hooked up the cord and tried to update. It wasn't reading what version was on the scanner, but it went to the net and downloaded the update. It said waiting for scanner, then timed out and said to check the usb cord.
I was using my shop computer, which has USB extension cords strung from the back, suspecting that might be the problem I got out my laptop that has programmed dozens of scanner previously and started over. I dug out the eneloops, and replaced with a newer set, and yes I discharged the voltage before replacing. I used a different micro SD card, formatted and loaded it and tried several more times, and one time it went into update mode for CPU, downloaded update but timed out again saying to check the usb cord again.
I've received a reply from the ebay people and they are ok with an exchange. I sent them a reply voicing my concern that if I got another faulty unit I didn't want to be hit with a 15% restocking charge. I await their next message.
I'm very familiar with scanners, computers and programs, I feel confident I tried all the right steps and just received a bad scanner. Thanks for the replies. - Gadget

D

darunimal

Good deal, just didn't have much detail to go on at first. Good luck with everything. Keep us updated with what a new one brings.

Gadgetman728

Premium Subscriber
The ebay vendor said they don't charge restocking fee on defective units. I sent mine back today, and They'll send me a new one when as soon as the defective one gets there. I post how the next one works when it gets here. Thanks again for the replies. - Gadget

Gadgetman728

Premium Subscriber
I wrote to Whistler "Contact Us" and told them of my crummy experience with that stupid, lying ***** Miranda. I told them if my second scanner was faulty, I'd be through with Whistler.

I've been programming scanners for a long time, and even though I'm not fond of Uniden quick key programming, I've always liked Uniden scanners, and will adapt to their programming accordingly.

I sell and program many scanners out of my computer store, but as I stated in my letter to Whistler, you can bet your *** I won't be recommending Whistler EVER to any of MY customers!!

TES

I wrote to Whistler "Contact Us" and told them of my crummy experience with that stupid, lying ***** Miranda. I told them if my second scanner was faulty, I'd be through with Whistler.

I've been programming scanners for a long time, and even though I'm not fond of Uniden quick key programming, I've always liked Uniden scanners, and will adapt to their programming accordingly.

I sell and program many scanners out of my computer store, but as I stated in my letter to Whistler, you can bet your *** I won't be recommending Whistler EVER to any of MY customers!!

If you're selling scanners out of your computer store, why buy off ebay instead of dealing directly with Whistler?

Gadgetman728

Premium Subscriber
I've never had any problems buying off of eBay. With the very limited exchanges I've had with Whistler, it'll probably never happen. I see we can't use bad words here so I'll close for now saying - Miranda = Cant Understand Normal Thinking.

Status
Not open for further replies.