RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog
 

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > Scanners, Receivers and Related Equipment Forums > Whistler Scanners

Whistler Scanners - For discussion of Whistler branded scanners.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #21 (permalink)  
Old 12-15-2016, 5:12 PM
rustynswrail's Avatar
Member
   
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 101
Default

I wonder if UPMAN has done the NXDN upgrade to his TRX-1 yet?

R
Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
  #22 (permalink)  
Old 12-15-2016, 5:36 PM
sparklehorse's Avatar
Member
   
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Portland, Oregon
Posts: 821
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by oz1jua View Post
After update to new version TRX-2Install_3.0.0.480.exe and run all updates from new program today I got some problems.
When press Scan it scans fine. But When select menu and then select Scanlist for browse scanlist following error comes.

-Error Detected-
Please contact
Whistler Service
for assistance.
Code: 1-01

When select this before using scan it its OK.
I'm also having major problems after updating everything on my TRX-2 today. I can copy over my modified V-Scanner folders OK, and copy the updated library OK, and afterwards the radio works fine until I go into the menus and make a change. After that the radio continues to scan OK, but has lost all my Scan List alpha tags. They just say "Scanlist 001", "Scanlist 002", etc. I tried switching to a different V-Scanner, but when I do that I get the same error message of death that oz1jua got, except my error code is 1-00. I tried pulling the card out of the radio and re-formatting it on my Win7 laptop with SD Formatter as FAT32, but after re-loading it with EZ-Scan and placing back in the radio it's déjà vu all over again. I even tried starting over with a brand new SD Card, but same story. I don't think it's related, but my TRX-2 AC adapter gave up the ghost today, so I'm using my WS1065 power cord instead. But it's the same pin configuration, output voltage, amps, etc, as the TRX wall wart.

Anyone else having weird issues following your update today?

.
__________________
Unication G5, TRX-2, BCD536HP, BCD436HP, BCD325P2, AR8200Mk3, FT-8800R, WS1065, BCD996XT, BCD396XT, BCT15X, Satellit 800, VX-6R, TG-UV2, UV-B5, BC796D, BC250D, BC780XLT, Pro-2006, Pro-90

Last edited by sparklehorse; 12-15-2016 at 5:49 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #23 (permalink)  
Old 12-15-2016, 6:10 PM
AggieCon's Avatar
Member
   
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Texas
Posts: 1,332
Default

Digital Frequency Quick Import

The NXDN tool near the bottom of the page should now be working with the new EZ Scan update. Ignore what my website says about it being analog. Reference/chat this thread for more info: http://forums.radioreference.com/whi...cy-search.html

Thanks MtnBiker2005 for posting the link earlier.
Reply With Quote
  #24 (permalink)  
Old 12-15-2016, 6:28 PM
mclove's Avatar
Member
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: HAMILTOIN CANADA
Posts: 262
Default NDXN

I HAVE SAM THING HAPPEND TO ME error code is 1-00. ? I HAVE TRUN BACK ON THE SCANNER AGAIN TO RESET IT ...
Reply With Quote
  #25 (permalink)  
Old 12-15-2016, 7:06 PM
Member
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: St. Louis County, MO
Posts: 2,211
Default

Yep,

Same exact issues here.
Error code 1.00 after I go into the menu and then try and go back to scan.
It does not matter if I enter the menu and make changes or not. As soon as I hit scan, the error pops up on the screen.

Like you, I also tried different SD cards including brand new and letting the PC App set them up but same issue over and over.

I applied the updates without a hitch in the recommended order.

I cannot make any changes in say the Global Config menu as it gives me the error after I save and try and power down even before I select Scan from that menu. The changes I made are stored however as I can reset the thing and power it back up and look and see my changes I'd made so they are being saved.

I also receive Error 1.01 at times in addition to the 1.00 error code.

This is on a new TRX-2.

The radio powers on fine and goes through it Verify routing without any problems so I don't get it.
It seems to scan fine as well but I've yet to turn on all my scanlists and see if any pop up errors at load. They should not but who knows what the new firmwares are looking at if something did not convert over correctly with the newest database. I actually saw these errors when I powered the radio off before I did the final Database update so I don't think it is related to the database itself but it could be something in one of my imported scanlists.


Quote:
Originally Posted by sparklehorse View Post
I'm also having major problems after updating everything on my TRX-2 today. I can copy over my modified V-Scanner folders OK, and copy the updated library OK, and afterwards the radio works fine until I go into the menus and make a change. After that the radio continues to scan OK, but has lost all my Scan List alpha tags. They just say "Scanlist 001", "Scanlist 002", etc. I tried switching to a different V-Scanner, but when I do that I get the same error message of death that oz1jua got, except my error code is 1-00. I tried pulling the card out of the radio and re-formatting it on my Win7 laptop with SD Formatter as FAT32, but after re-loading it with EZ-Scan and placing back in the radio it's déjà vu all over again. I even tried starting over with a brand new SD Card, but same story. I don't think it's related, but my TRX-2 AC adapter gave up the ghost today, so I'm using my WS1065 power cord instead. But it's the same pin configuration, output voltage, amps, etc, as the TRX wall wart.

Anyone else having weird issues following your update today?

.
Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
  #26 (permalink)  
Old 12-15-2016, 7:21 PM
radio3353's Avatar
Member
   
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Bucks County, PA
Posts: 352
Default

Whistler,

Do you test updates before you unleash them to the public?

Thank you.
Reply With Quote
  #27 (permalink)  
Old 12-15-2016, 7:33 PM
Member
   
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 5,689
Default

Mine updated ok except for a general problem I have with my USB ports not recognizing the scanner and other devices sometimes. I programmed up a couple of conventional NXDN freqs and the audio quality is pretty good, seems similar to P25 and maybe a bit better than DMR.
prcguy
Reply With Quote
  #28 (permalink)  
Old 12-15-2016, 7:35 PM
sparklehorse's Avatar
Member
   
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Portland, Oregon
Posts: 821
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kruser View Post
Yep,

Same exact issues here.
Error code 1.00 after I go into the menu and then try and go back to scan.
It does not matter if I enter the menu and make changes or not. As soon as I hit scan, the error pops up on the screen.

Like you, I also tried different SD cards including brand new and letting the PC App set them up but same issue over and over.

I applied the updates without a hitch in the recommended order.

I cannot make any changes in say the Global Config menu as it gives me the error after I save and try and power down even before I select Scan from that menu. The changes I made are stored however as I can reset the thing and power it back up and look and see my changes I'd made so they are being saved.

I also receive Error 1.01 at times in addition to the 1.00 error code.

This is on a new TRX-2.

The radio powers on fine and goes through it Verify routing without any problems so I don't get it.
It seems to scan fine as well but I've yet to turn on all my scanlists and see if any pop up errors at load. They should not but who knows what the new firmwares are looking at if something did not convert over correctly with the newest database. I actually saw these errors when I powered the radio off before I did the final Database update so I don't think it is related to the database itself but it could be something in one of my imported scanlists.
Yeah, something is definitely janky with these updates, but it seems not everyone is having problems. I wonder what the common thread is amongst those who are getting hosed. Are your scan list names also reverting to generic names on the radio? I don't know if it's related, but after I updated EZ-scan today I archived all my V-scanner folders I had in the program, deleted them from EZ, then downloaed the V-folders from my radio to EZ-Scan. I made a few minor tweaks, added some talkgroups, then copied back to the scanner after updating the CPU and DSP and Library in the order that Wendy posted.
I want to try and update the CPU and DSP again, but am getting an error. Perhaps too many users accessing their website at the moment.

.
__________________
Unication G5, TRX-2, BCD536HP, BCD436HP, BCD325P2, AR8200Mk3, FT-8800R, WS1065, BCD996XT, BCD396XT, BCT15X, Satellit 800, VX-6R, TG-UV2, UV-B5, BC796D, BC250D, BC780XLT, Pro-2006, Pro-90
Reply With Quote
  #29 (permalink)  
Old 12-15-2016, 7:44 PM
sparklehorse's Avatar
Member
   
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Portland, Oregon
Posts: 821
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by prcguy View Post
Mine updated ok except for a general problem I have with my USB ports not recognizing the scanner and other devices sometimes. I programmed up a couple of conventional NXDN freqs and the audio quality is pretty good, seems similar to P25 and maybe a bit better than DMR.
prcguy
Have you made any changes in the menus on the radio? That's where things go terribly wrong for me. Also, are you using a TRX-1 or TRX-2? I think so far it's only been TRX-2 units affected. I see similar 1098 issues popping up in another thread, but that's another mobile unit. Maybe that's a clue? Mobile vs portable?

.
__________________
Unication G5, TRX-2, BCD536HP, BCD436HP, BCD325P2, AR8200Mk3, FT-8800R, WS1065, BCD996XT, BCD396XT, BCT15X, Satellit 800, VX-6R, TG-UV2, UV-B5, BC796D, BC250D, BC780XLT, Pro-2006, Pro-90
Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
  #30 (permalink)  
Old 12-15-2016, 8:26 PM
Member
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: St. Louis County, MO
Posts: 2,211
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparklehorse View Post
Yeah, something is definitely janky with these updates, but it seems not everyone is having problems. I wonder what the common thread is amongst those who are getting hosed. Are your scan list names also reverting to generic names on the radio? I don't know if it's related, but after I updated EZ-scan today I archived all my V-scanner folders I had in the program, deleted them from EZ, then downloaed the V-folders from my radio to EZ-Scan. I made a few minor tweaks, added some talkgroups, then copied back to the scanner after updating the CPU and DSP and Library in the order that Wendy posted.
I want to try and update the CPU and DSP again, but am getting an error. Perhaps too many users accessing their website at the moment.

.
Yes, scanlists are also reverting to default values but not every time.
I also tried to write my config back to the SD card after the scanlist went back to default but the write failed with a message stating there were too many write errors.
This occurred again with another brand new card.
When I'd mount a card in the computer after it has been in the radio a while, a chkdsk returns a lot of errors fixed. Files with the wrong length etc.

It seems like something is going on with whatever communicates with the card when in the radio since the updates.

I've not even tried any NXDN yet because of all the errors.

I'm going to go back to CPU 3.2 and see if things work again. Not sure if it will handle the new database format but I have backups I can restore from.
My TRX-2 had CPU version 3.3 on it but I did not see that as an old version download. Maybe Whistler will put it up. They only offer 3.1 and 3.2 and 4.0 now.
Of course there is no download for the DSP firmware so I'll be stuck with what downloaded today along with CPU 3.2 or 4.0 depending on if 3.2 fixes the card corruption problem.

I guess I should go back to the earlier release of the PC App as well if I'm going to downgrade the CPU firmware but I'll try leaving the app alone for now as that may be all that is needed to work with the new DB format now on the radio.
Reply With Quote
  #31 (permalink)  
Old 12-15-2016, 8:34 PM
rustynswrail's Avatar
Member
   
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 101
Default

From a purely Australian point of view, it would be nice if we could enter many of the narrow NXDN frequencies used here. For example a frequency like 491.196875 returns an error message. Yet if the frequency is below 470 MHz the scanner, prima facie accepts the 6 decimal places.

As most of our NXDN and IDAS systems are above 470 MHz it sort of renders the scanner a little useless in respect of NXDN and IDAS. If the firmware developers or someone from Whistler would like to PM me, I can assist them with the Australian band plan.

Or, alternatively make the Flexible Frequency Entry provisions truly flexible.

R
Reply With Quote
  #32 (permalink)  
Old 12-15-2016, 10:00 PM
Member
   
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 5,689
Default

I have a TRX-1 and have made changes to the menus via the keypad and software. It takes me a few attempts before my computer will recognize the radio and once its found it I might have to hit the upgrade button a few times, but it has always done the upgrades.
prcguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparklehorse View Post
Have you made any changes in the menus on the radio? That's where things go terribly wrong for me. Also, are you using a TRX-1 or TRX-2? I think so far it's only been TRX-2 units affected. I see similar 1098 issues popping up in another thread, but that's another mobile unit. Maybe that's a clue? Mobile vs portable?

.
Reply With Quote
  #33 (permalink)  
Old 12-15-2016, 10:07 PM
Member
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: St. Louis County, MO
Posts: 2,211
Default

I found that I had downloaded CPU version 3.3.

In order to make my TRX-2 work again without card corruption and the 1-00 and 1-01 errors, I had to downgrade the CPU version back to 3.3.

That did fix all the issues as listed above in this thread by a few here.

I don't know why this is only a problem for some but it sure rendered my TRX-2 pretty useless. After a bit of runtime, the SD card would corrupt itself while scanning. I don't use any recording so I have no idea what may be writing to the card.
Sometimes the only way to recover was a card format and setup from the PC App. And sometimes, power had to be removed from the radio to get it to do anything.

All these problems are gone now with CPU 3.3.

Of course I tried several SD cards including brand new cards.
All the cards work fine again under CPU 3.3 but if they were corrupted, I had to use the PC App to prepare them again and then write my config back to the cards.
I'm glad I did not read my TRX-2 in this state as my files on the computer would have also been corrupt most likely.
I do have backups of the data I could have restored from however.
It seemed the longer the radio was on with all new updates from today, the worse things became with the SD card. You could no longer even write your configuration to the card. You could not change any settings in the radio's menu including turning scanlists on and off. When you tried to exit out of the menu, the radio would crash and turn its backlight off and display a 1-00 error and on occasion, a 1-01 error.

Others are seeing the same issues so hopefully Whistler will figure out the cause and get it fixed.
I was never even able to monitor any NXDN systems

I also reinstalled the prior PC App and restored the 498 DB version and put that and a 498 based version of my config back on the radio and into the PC App on the computer.
The only thing I could not get back was the prior DSP version but that does not seem to be a problem as my P25 and DMR systems are all still working fine since I rolled everything back.
I'm not sure all that was necessary but I know they made some DB changes so I did it to make sure all NXDN stuff was gone until this gets fixed.
Others are also reporting communications issues with the radio since the updates. I suspect this is all related with my experience as I also have those issues when the card in the radio corrupts itself. Once corruption happens, you will sometimes see the 1-00 or 1-01 error when you just try and power the radio off.
I'm also having the issue where scanlist names ALL go back to their default names.

Oh well, at least going back to CPU 3.3 allowed me to use the radio again.

I may try again tomorrow and do a full default reset before I install the CPU update just in case there is something odd with my config.
If that works, then I'll start changing the config back to my preferences and hope I find a setting that causes it to go nuts again. Lastly, I'll load my scanlists back in if the config settings do not break anything.

Last edited by kruser; 12-15-2016 at 10:37 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #34 (permalink)  
Old 12-15-2016, 10:24 PM
vkkev's Avatar
Member
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 17
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustynswrail View Post
From a purely Australian point of view, it would be nice if we could enter many of the narrow NXDN frequencies used here. For example a frequency like 491.196875 returns an error message. Yet if the frequency is below 470 MHz the scanner, prima facie accepts the 6 decimal places.

As most of our NXDN and IDAS systems are above 470 MHz it sort of renders the scanner a little useless in respect of NXDN and IDAS. If the firmware developers or someone from Whistler would like to PM me, I can assist them with the Australian band plan.

Or, alternatively make the Flexible Frequency Entry provisions truly flexible.

R
agree 100%, thanks Rusty.

Regards

Kev
Reply With Quote
  #35 (permalink)  
Old 12-15-2016, 10:42 PM
Member
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Circleville, Ohio USA
Posts: 23
Default

I wonder how long it will be when we be able to buy a TRX-1 and have NXDN out of the box?
Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
  #36 (permalink)  
Old 12-15-2016, 11:08 PM
milcom_chaser's Avatar
Member
   
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 375
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustynswrail View Post
From a purely Australian point of view, it would be nice if we could enter many of the narrow NXDN frequencies used here. For example a frequency like 491.196875 returns an error message. Yet if the frequency is below 470 MHz the scanner, prima facie accepts the 6 decimal places.

As most of our NXDN and IDAS systems are above 470 MHz it sort of renders the scanner a little useless in respect of NXDN and IDAS. If the firmware developers or someone from Whistler would like to PM me, I can assist them with the Australian band plan.

Or, alternatively make the Flexible Frequency Entry provisions truly flexible.

R
They could make them flexible by allowing the choice of Step Size and Mode for the entire band plan. Unidens have this, and it's incredibly helpful...
Reply With Quote
  #37 (permalink)  
Old 12-15-2016, 11:12 PM
AggieCon's Avatar
Member
   
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Texas
Posts: 1,332
Default

For those who've gotten the update working, I have a new Quick Import for NXDN: Digital Frequency Quick Import

Also, the regular NXDN search is up to date, United States NXDN Frequency Search

Frequencies that were effective or first used within the past 6 months are signified in the results in bold font weight, and there is an option to show just the newer frequencies.

Regarding the flex step, I'd have to know exactly what filter the scanner is using in this mode, but it may not even matter if you just use the closest frequency the scanner accepts. I suspect the filter bandwidth of the scanner is much wider than the NXDN signal you are after. If any frequencies from my website cause import errors, please let me know the exact search you did; that way I can work to modify the frequencies so the E-Z Scan software will accept it.
Reply With Quote
  #38 (permalink)  
Old 12-16-2016, 12:04 AM
trentbob's Avatar
Member
   
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Bristol, Pa.
Posts: 348
Default I'm Amazed!!!

So given the fact that none of the rebranded GRE radios have been able to work properly on x2 tdma Phase 2 I had little hope for this nxdn upgrade. I use a apx 7000 for everything except some VHF. The city I work news photography in uses nxdn for about a year now for the police and fire. It's a real pia to use the mounted laptop in the car with DSDplus to get the job done. When I heard about this nxdn upgrade on the ancient psr-800 with a keyboard I thought I would take a chance. I did the programming manually on the radio and the tags on EZ scan. To my utter amazement it works GREAT!!! Sounds terrific. Hopefully you will work on making the other modes you say you offer on this radio work like the nxdn. Fix the phase 2 problems and you will be the industry leader using radios that have been around for years now... thanks for making my job easier... Bob.
Reply With Quote
  #39 (permalink)  
Old 12-16-2016, 1:36 AM
Joseph11's Avatar
Member
   
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 2,326
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by oz1jua View Post
After update to new version TRX-2Install_3.0.0.480.exe and run all updates from new program today I got some problems.
When press Scan it scans fine. But When select menu and then select Scanlist for browse scanlist following error comes.

-Error Detected-
Please contact
Whistler Service
for assistance.
Code: 1-01

When select this before using scan it its OK.
Same issue with my TRX-2 after updating.
Reply With Quote
  #40 (permalink)  
Old 12-16-2016, 3:41 AM
Member
   
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 567
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by W4KRR View Post
I can confirm it works on a trunked NXDN4800 system locally. Can't confirm NXDN9600.
Thanks for the info Ken.
Anyone else know if this latest upgrade covers NXDN9600 (12.5khz bandwidth) decoding?
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:47 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
All information here is Copyright 2012 by RadioReference.com LLC and Lindsay C. Blanton III.Ad Management by RedTyger
Copyright 2015 by RadioReference.com LLC Privacy Policy  |  Terms and Conditions