TRX-2: TRX-2 or 1098

Status
Not open for further replies.

N5JMC

I'm looking to buy a mobile to have installed in truck. Will use the remote head. I like how programming the pro106 and pro651 so are these programmed the same way?

What are pros of each and cons of each. Looking for suggestions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

troymail

Silent Key
Very, very similar- however, I don't expect new features, etc. to be added to the 10xx line -- they'll be in the TRX line. NXDN is only in the TRX -- some other newly released features were only added to the TRX line I believe.

You need to look at your needs but also need to not be unhappy later when the TRX gets updates and the 10xx gets left behind (and not get improvements)....

kf7yn

Another issue is price. I just bought a 1098 to replace my aging Pro-197. I got the 1098 for under $370 on Amazon. The TRX-2 is well over $100 more and since there is no NXDN of interest in my area, I didn't think the extra money was worth it. Having said that, troymail brings up a good point of future improvements and updates for the 10xx series, but that is likely way down the line.

Programming is a little different but not extremely so. I quickly became familiar with the EZ-Scan software. The 106 and 197 are limited to 20 banks. I really need and appreciate the vastly expanded banks (Scanlists), there are 200 Scanlists available for each V-Folder. I have about 30 Scanlists programmed going and still adding more.

To me it's a no brainer, I like the WS 1098. If you have the extra scratch, get the TRX-2.

SCPD

QRT
If you dont listen to railroad,you probably wont need NXDN,but railfans will want to spend that extra $100....

troymail

Silent Key
If you dont listen to railroad,you probably wont need NXDN,but railfans will want to spend that extra $100....

Depends on where you are -- I'm coming across trunked NXDN public safety systems as well as conventional channels.

You have to do your homework - or risk being unhappy with your decision(s).

K9JLR

Another issue is price. I just bought a 1098 to replace my aging Pro-197. I got the 1098 for under $370 on Amazon. The TRX-2 is well over $100 more and since there is no NXDN of interest in my area, I didn't think the extra money was worth it. Having said that, troymail brings up a good point of future improvements and updates for the 10xx series, but that is likely way down the line.

To me it's a no brainer, I like the WS 1098. If you have the extra scratch, get the TRX-2.

Just bear in mind the caveat that there is no way of knowing what some agencies are going to decide to purchase when they upgrade their communications equipment in the coming years.

A year and a half ago almost everyone around here was on analog, except for the state police and few agencies that opted to join their P25 system. In the last 18 months, with forced 911 consolidations at the state level, along with departments looking to replace aging analog systems, just about every local and county LE agency that I monitor has since opted to adopt either a TRBO or an NXDN system, and one of the adjacent counties, as of yesterday, has a newly licensed suite of NXDN frequencies that they are apparently upgrading to soon as well. My educated guess is that in the future more and more agencies will be upgrading to newer digital emission modes, so that's a serious consideration for long-term scanner investment. Prior to acquiring the TRX-2 a couple of weeks ago, I hadn't had to upgrade scanner equipment since 2006 when P25 started to roll out on the state system.

N5JMC

Arkansas is p25 phase 1 but going to phase 2 so that's main reason for new one. I like remote head on them and I think the trx-2 will get more upgrades than 1098 so I was thinking trx-2. Just wanted to get thoughts.

Is programming it the same as a pro106 and pro651 where you create the system with control channels and add talk groups to them and assign talk groups to scan lists?

Can I ask the limit on control channels for a system? The pro651 and 106 has 32 I think. Hoping for a lot more.

DJ11DLN

I bought a 1098 because we're going to start seeing p.2 here in a few years, and also because I found a few things locally using DMR that I was interested in. Nothing around here so far using NXDN that I'm interested in and everything Public Safety (which is my primary focus) is on the statewide System, Safe-T. I couldn't see the extra hundred bucks for a TRX, but reading about the improvements in the front end I'm beginning to wish I'd spent it.

I'm not sure off the top of my head about the control channel limit, but I know it's higher than the GRE500-type radios. I know I was able to do a lot more with my GRE800-type radios keeping everything on a single system than with my Pro-197, where I had to create a second system to get everything I wanted in there.

AggieCon

Premium Subscriber
Search here: United States NXDN Frequency Search

If there is something of interest in your area, you can go ahead and take the 1098 off the table. If there isn't, when will you be prepared to buy another new scanner? If you want to make this a 10 year purchase, for instance, I would go with the TRX2 even if NXDN isn't on your radar right now.

You can download EZ Scan before you buy the radio to see if you like it. https://whistlergroup.com/pages/trx-2-downloads

Machria

Premium Subscriber

Exactly. I just purchased the TRX-1 a week and a half ago and went thru the same "should I" question with the 1098. Three things made me select the TRX over the 1098:
1. I'm lucky enough to have the extra $100 cost not be an issue. Besides that, remember this is a long term purchase item, it's not likely you will only use it 2 months or something. If your like me and most users, you will have it a couple years at the very least. Divide the extra 100 beans into a couple years and it is really pennies. ;)

2. The TRX has more memory in it. This will allow it to be upgraded in the future with more features, more new systems possibly, enhancements... The 1098 is probably about done. So if you get the 1098, and the trx gets a new feature the 1098 doesn't get, you will likely be bummed out. Then have to upgrade to the TRX, and now add up what that will cost you! Much more than the 100 difference. ;)

3. The TRX likely has a slightly faster processor being it's a newer unit/design and can handle the newer systems. So why wouldn't your go for the best....

Unless the extra $$ is a real issue, go for the TRX.

N5JMC

OK thanks all. I will look at the software. Think I'm gonna go with trx2. This will be a long term purchase as all my scanners have been except the extra 651 I bought and been in my closet. Trying to sale it as I don't need it.

N5XTC

Premium Subscriber
the scanner I own with the best ears (i know ops can debate this, for me, it just IS) is my pro 197. is the trx2 comparable to as a scanner to the trx2

given the out of the box issues with the 536hp (and that i own a 436hp already), my thinking for my next scanner is the trx2. has anyone owned both the pro 197 and trx2 who can speak to a comparison?

kf7yn

Well you guys make compelling points with the extra memory, future improvents and better front end in the TRX2. I just ordered one and am returning my WS1098.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.