RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > Scanners, Receivers and Related Equipment Forums > Whistler Scanners

Whistler Scanners - For discussion of Whistler branded scanners.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 04-14-2017, 3:52 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Whistler responded to my bug report and I've sent them a CCDUMP file with a few minutes of logging. I will update when I know more.
Sponsored links
Old 04-19-2017, 2:11 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Update... Whistler provided me with test firmware that appears to have resolved this issue. I am now able to receive and decode this VHF P2 system on the TRX-1. Hopefully they will release this update in future firmware releases for the other phase 2 scanners as well.
Old 04-20-2017, 6:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scan18 View Post
Update... Whistler provided me with test firmware that appears to have resolved this issue. I am now able to receive and decode this VHF P2 system on the TRX-1. Hopefully they will release this update in future firmware releases for the other phase 2 scanners as well.
Excellent.
Not a Radio Shack fan.....
Old 04-20-2017, 8:54 AM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos

Quote:
I would like to know what was changed and if this test firmware would work with an 800mhz system?
Old 04-20-2017, 10:58 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by seth21w View Post
I would like to know what was changed and if this test firmware would work with an 800mhz system?

I don't know exactly what was changed, but I am still able to receive a P2 700/800 system nearby. I wasn't having issues with that system previously anyway.

I think the issue was specific to the VHF system I was trying to monitor. Perhaps the update will helps others too when it is released.
Sponsored links
Old 04-20-2017, 9:45 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

I am having the exact same issue with my 1095 monitoring the Western PA ICORRS Lawrence County P25. I have been back and forth with a "John" @ whistler. He has only provided me with settings adjustment. I dumped my HP2 for this... Probably a mistake.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 04-20-2017, 10:35 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianLoch View Post
I am having the exact same issue with my 1095 monitoring the Western PA ICORRS Lawrence County P25. I have been back and forth with a "John" @ whistler. He has only provided me with settings adjustment. I dumped my HP2 for this... Probably a mistake.

John is who I was dealing with also... obviously there was something in the log file I sent them that made the engineers see that there was an issue with the decoding of the particular system I was trying to monitor, not just something that could be fixed by changing the settings. Maybe your situation is different, not sure.
Old 04-20-2017, 10:38 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Quote:
John is who I was dealing with also... obviously there was something in the log file I sent them that made the engineers see that there was an issue with the decoding of the particular system I was trying to monitor, not just something that could be fixed by changing the settings. Maybe your situation is different, not sure.

THANK YOU for the heads up... I guess we shall see.

Old 04-22-2017, 3:27 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

I have a 1098 and a TRX-2 and both have a problem with P25 PII systems. If I enter the system frequencies as conventional in a scanlist it will work but not as a trunked system. Uniden had a similar problem with the 436/536 and were nice enough to post a link a to test firmware on this site for all to try and it did work. It would be nice if Whistler would do the same.
Sponsored links
Old 04-25-2017, 11:45 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

I just sent this to whistler...

Old 04-25-2017, 11:46 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Hello,
I've along with multiple users have noticed that VHF P25 P-2 is non-existent on the 1095,1098 and possibly TRX models. All of the mention models according to Whistler are capable. Is there a fix in the works? I had a support dialog with Paul and it has been about a week of no contact. A simple "we are looking into it, stay tuned for updates." Would have sufficed. We at large want to know if we all bought $500 dollar glorified conventional scanners? Thank you for your time. I anticipate your response.

Sincerely,

Brian Loch

Old 04-25-2017, 11:57 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

They indicated to me that the fix they were working with me on will make it into the next firmware update, although not sure if that is only for the TRX-1 or for all the phase 2 models.

I'm sure your snotty response about "$500 glorified conventional scanners" will make them push it right to the front of the line.
Old 04-25-2017, 12:39 PM

Quote:
I'm sure your snotty response about "$500 glorified conventional scanners" will make them push it right to the front of the line.
Yup - that kind of comment always helped me to prioritize where in my task list any given request would end up....

Old 04-25-2017, 1:02 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by troymail View Post
Yup - that kind of comment always helped me to prioritize where in my task list any given request would end up....

Exactly... I'm not saying everything they do is perfect, but I can say that when I submitted my bug report I was polite and just presented the facts. Within 1 week, engineering provided me with test firmware that resolved the issue, which I expressed my appreciation. I'm sure if I was snotty in my responses, the result would not have been the same.

Yeah, yeah, cue all the "we shouldn't be beta testers and submit bug reports for them" and all that crap. Such is life.
Old 04-25-2017, 1:05 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Thank you all for your compassionate concern. I truly am deeply touched. I love the familial atmosphere of this board. This is why I enjoy this little corner of the net. I love you guys. Hugs to you all.

Sponsored links
Old 04-25-2017, 1:08 PM

Quote:
Exactly... I'm not saying everything they do is perfect, but I can say that when I submitted my bug report I was polite and just presented the facts. Within 1 week, engineering provided me with test firmware that resolved the issue, which I expressed my appreciation. I'm sure if I was snotty in my responses, the result would not have been the same.

Yeah, yeah, cue all the "we shouldn't be beta testers and submit bug reports for them" and all that crap. Such is life.
Yup - There is no such thing as "perfect". You;d never get anything new released.

I keep watching (lurking?) what is happening on the other side of the fence with user reports of issues and version after version of firmware that may fix one thing and break other stuff. That action has been going on now for more than a month..

The good news is that you can submit reports of problems and if it is a real problem and you provide the information requested, chances are the problem will be fixed in a future firmware update. But you have to cooperate and have a bit of patience -- sometimes more than at other times.
Old 04-25-2017, 1:08 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Lol, well done... I'll pass on the hugs, but thanks.
Old 04-25-2017, 1:18 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Quote:

If you actually comprehended my post you would see I had a dialog started. At no point during my dialog with them was I not polite or as you put it "snotty". The communication line just stopped. No explaination and no reply to questioning about P II on VHF. This has doubled my frustration with this 1095. However, I digress...Keep throwing those stones. Thank you for your time in this matter and may God bless you.

Old 04-25-2017, 3:13 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Quote:
Hello,
I've along with multiple users have noticed that VHF P25 P-2 is non-existent on the 1095,1098 and possibly TRX models. All of the mention models according to Whistler are capable. Is there a fix in the works? I had a support dialog with Paul and it has been about a week of no contact. A simple "we are looking into it, stay tuned for updates." Would have sufficed. We at large want to know if we all bought $500 dollar glorified conventional scanners? Thank you for your time. I anticipate your response.

Sincerely,

Brian Loch

Brian,

Thank you for your report. We are looking into any and all reported issues and will post updates as soon as they are available. Some of these systems require additional debugging and then need to be confirmed that the fix has corrected the issue before the new version can be made available.

In addition if there are several issues that need to be addressed, we will look to bundle them instead of releasing 3 or 4 versions several days apart.
Please be patient and I am sure the issue will be resolved shortly.

Regards,
Mike

No need for you all to thank me. You are all welcome.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 04-25-2017, 3:16 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Quote:
Brian,

Thank you for your report. We are looking into any and all reported issues and will post updates as soon as they are available. Some of these systems require additional debugging and then need to be confirmed that the fix has corrected the issue before the new version can be made available.

In addition if there are several issues that need to be addressed, we will look to bundle them instead of releasing 3 or 4 versions several days apart.
Please be patient and I am sure the issue will be resolved shortly.

Regards,
Mike

No need for you all to thank me. You are all welcome.

Mike,

I thank you for the heads up. I apologize for my frustration being a burden upon your shoulders.

With appreciation,

Brian Loch