Speaker issues - amplified

Status
Not open for further replies.

hosehead88

Premium Subscriber
I have an amplified speaker in my vehicle (possibly a Speco). Since I switched out my 99XT with my TRX 2 I can no longer get sound to that speaker using the out on the back - only the hedaphone jack. When I plug in an older Radio Shack non-amplified speaker, it works on both ports. If I barely plug in the amp-ed speaker to the back or the TRX I can get sound, but obviously this is not a solution.

Am I missing something?

kf7yn

Same issue here with my TRX-2 with amplified speaker. Using a separate power source for radio and speaker solved the problem but that isnt practical so I went with a Motorola non-amplified speaker. Isolating scanner and speaker power source should work if you want to go to that hassle.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

ScannerSK

When I plug in an older Radio Shack non-amplified speaker, it works on both ports. If I barely plug in the amp-ed speaker to the back or the TRX I can get sound...

I have found that using a mono plug (or mono to stereo adapter) on the scanner side takes care of the issue. GRE used a funky pinout on the speaker out jack which likely carried over to Whistler models.

Shawn

BrianG61UK

I would guess that the Whistler scanners probably require a stereo jack plug while maybe hosehead88's speaker has only a mono one.

But that's very much just a guess.

Swipesy

I would guess that the Whistler scanners probably require a stereo jack plug while maybe hosehead88's speaker has only a mono one.

But that's very much just a guess.

You are correct. The GRE PSR-800 used a mono jack and Whister, starting with WS-1080 uses a stereo jack.

hosehead88

Premium Subscriber
I had tried a mono to stereo adapter and that did not work. Everything was corrected with the Mpow

BrianG61UK

I had tried a mono to stereo adapter and that did not work. Everything was corrected with the Mpow
There is no correct adapter available. You would need a stereo to mono (the other way round). As far as I know the only way is to get someone to cut off the mono plug and fit a stereo one. The Mpow is probably just making it so that the short caused by the mono plug in a stereo socket isn't completely shorting all the signal, just some of it.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

BrianG61UK

I should add:

The Mpow isolator is probably a good idea for in car amplified speakers.

You could make an adapter - it would be like a stereo extension lead without the ring (right channel) connected through.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

BrianG61UK

You probably don't need to do anything unless you're a perfectionist and don't like the idea that one channel of the Mpow is feeding into a short circuit.

I don't know exactly what's inside the Mpow isolators but it probably doesn't matter if one channel is shorted.

Status
Not open for further replies.