RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > Scanners, Receivers and Related Equipment Forums > Whistler Scanners

Whistler Scanners - For discussion of Whistler branded scanners.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 05-15-2017, 12:13 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Default NEXN LCN slots

Hello, I did pick up the TRX 1 and am looking for some help with programming Nexn systems.
I have version 3.4 of the ex scan software.CPU FW is 5.3 DSP FW is 3.0
I read through several posts from back in Dec that after the 3.0 ex scan was in there was a Nexn tab at the bottom, however I don't see that. I also have questions about the LCN and how to enter that with the freqs. I have the freqs but unclear how to enter the LCN to match. My screen only shows LCN up to 32. These systems were not in RR so trying to build from scratch. My manual is 72 pages in length but does not have specific info on programming the Nexn systems. If anyone could point me in a direction if additional pages were released on how to program or have info on how to set up the LCN's that would be great.
Thanks, Scott
Sponsored links
Old 05-19-2017, 12:21 PM

If NEXN is a thing, then disregard this. I think you mean NXDN.

In that case, don't worry about the LCN and channel order. Whistler doesn't trunk track.

While possible to identify channel order with just a TRX, it's pretty time consuming. It is much better done with software radio and DSD+.

Have you called Whistler support about this? What did they say?

Feel free to email me.
Old 05-19-2017, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swm239 View Post
Hello, I did pick up the TRX 1 and am looking for some help with programming Nexn systems.
I have version 3.4 of the ex scan software.CPU FW is 5.3 DSP FW is 3.0
I read through several posts from back in Dec that after the 3.0 ex scan was in there was a Nexn tab at the bottom, however I don't see that. I also have questions about the LCN and how to enter that with the freqs. I have the freqs but unclear how to enter the LCN to match. My screen only shows LCN up to 32. These systems were not in RR so trying to build from scratch. My manual is 72 pages in length but does not have specific info on programming the Nexn systems. If anyone could point me in a direction if additional pages were released on how to program or have info on how to set up the LCN's that would be great.
Thanks, Scott
Scott - Programming a NXDN trunk system is pretty much the same as programming any other type of trunk system - in fact, easier than some (i.e. LTR, EDACS, etc.).

If you know the frequencies are used in a trunk system and you must program them manually (i.e.they aren't in the RRDB/library), just create a new trunked system in the EZ Scan software, leave it set it to NXDN(C) (unless you know for sure it's a Type D system), click on the site, enter the frequencies (in any order), and add a wildcard talkgroup (optionally: add a wildcard radio ID).

Then, copy the configuration to your radio and listen....

Note: you can also create conventional objects for each of the frequencies and set them to NXDN. It will work but this option is a little less flexible if the system is truly a trunked system.

And and I don't know anything about a "NXDN tab".... it's just a frequency and/or system type in the software.
Old 05-19-2017, 12:36 PM

^ +1

I've been busy lately, but I checked in and saw a lot of unanswered threads. Good tips.
Old 05-19-2017, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AggieCon View Post
^ +1

I've been busy lately, but I checked in and saw a lot of unanswered threads. Good tips.
Somehow I missed this one so your response "bumped it" and put it back in front of me again (er, I mean, for the first time!).

Teamwork!
Sponsored links
Old 05-20-2017, 7:49 AM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by troymail View Post
Scott - Programming a NXDN trunk system is pretty much the same as programming any other type of trunk system - in fact, easier than some (i.e. LTR, EDACS, etc.).

If you know the frequencies are used in a trunk system and you must program them manually (i.e.they aren't in the RRDB/library), just create a new trunked system in the EZ Scan software, leave it set it to NXDN(C) (unless you know for sure it's a Type D system), click on the site, enter the frequencies (in any order), and add a wildcard talkgroup (optionally: add a wildcard radio ID).

Then, copy the configuration to your radio and listen....

Note: you can also create conventional objects for each of the frequencies and set them to NXDN. It will work but this option is a little less flexible if the system is truly a trunked system.

And and I don't know anything about a "NXDN tab".... it's just a frequency and/or system type in the software.
Well done! Working great both ways..