TRX-2: EZ-Scan & listening to Audio recordings

Status
Not open for further replies.

AK4FD

Catawba County, NC — FF/EMT, COML, AUXC, Skywarn
Premium Subscriber
Is anyone else having an issue when unplugging the SD card from the scanner and plugging it into your laptop, using EZ-Scan to listen to the audio recording files, I would say more than half the time when listening, the recording audio skips every other second, sometimes not being able to make out hat the recording audio was said. It also does it with the scanner plugged into the USB port on the computer as well but the transfer rate is just so painfully SLOW I just take out the SD card and plug it into my laptop for any changes I need to make and it's done in 5 seconds. Is anyone else having this issue with the recordings using EZ-Scan skipping every other second?? Thanks!

••David

rbrtklamp2

Premium Subscriber
Only thing I can think of is do you have a priority channel enabled? That would account for the clips in the audio every 1 or 2 seconds depending on the timing you have the priority channel check set at.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

AK4FD

Premium Subscriber
Only thing I can think of is do you have a priority channel enabled? That would account for the clips in the audio every 1 or 2 seconds depending on the timing you have the priority channel check set at.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Nope, just a Conventional VHF channel being monitored.

Ubbe

I had all kind of problems with the supplied SD card. I reformated it to FAT32 using SDFormatter and prepared it again and it works better after that. It still generates corrupt files when playing back recorded files and deleting them causing errors at start up. Windows check the card and finds several corrupted files that where supposed to have been deleted.

I now normally use another SD card that doesn't give these problems.

/Ubbe

SCPD

QRT
The answer .. some SD cards work better than others in these scanners.

Some think that the faster the card the better it will work, in fact the opposite is true when it comes to recording.

As someone that has done extensive recording in these scanners .. I can tell you that the slower cards tend to work better when it comes to recording.

In fact the best cards I have found when it comes to audio recording .. the stock cards. I know :wink:. That is why I keep a number of them around, because they do not skip like the faster cards.

My SanDisk cards skip .. the stock cards don't. You can take that as you will.

Last edited:

jackj

Two types of priorities on the 800, "Priority Channel" and "Weather Priority". Either will make the audio sound like it's cutting out.

BrianG61UK

The answer .. some SD cards work better than others in these scanners.

Some think that the faster the card the better it will work, in fact the opposite is true when it comes to recording.

As someone that has done extensive recording in these scanners .. I can tell you that the slower cards tend to work better when it comes to recording.

In fact the best cards I have found when it comes to audio recording .. the stock cards. I know :wink:. That is why I keep a number of them around, because they do not skip like the faster cards.

My SanDisk cards skip .. the stock cards don't. You can take that as you will.

Skip?

Bits of audio get left out of the recording??

SCPD

QRT
Skip?

Bits of audio get left out of the recording??

Absolutely .. and it is not related to turning on any priority as mentioned above. This is 100% SD card related. This is why I have a collection of older SD cards cause if you do a ton of recording like I do .. then you want the recordings to work with no audio skipping.

BrianG61UK

Absolutely .. and it is not related to turning on any priority as mentioned above. This is 100% SD card related. This is why I have a collection of older SD cards cause if you do a ton of recording like I do .. then you want the recordings to work with no audio skipping.

Report as a bug I think.

My WS1088 is fine with a class 10 Sandisk 8GB card.

Colin9690

Delaware County, OH
Premium Subscriber
Happens to me too. Not all the time, only occasionally. And only on the sole VHF channel I have in my scan list. Running the stock SD card as well. Never have priority enabled either.

AK4FD

Premium Subscriber
Happens to me too. Not all the time, only occasionally. And only on the sole VHF channel I have in my scan list. Running the stock SD card as well. Never have priority enabled either.

Well for the record, I am using the 4GB stock card it came with AND a 16GB high-speed card I bought at Walmart, the recording skipping does it to both cards so that debunks the slower stock card theory, also I don't have ANY priorities going no weather or anything. As the same person above me, happens on the only VHF channel I am recording and monitor, no scan or anything. It's quite an aggravating mystery. And I'm not a newbie, as you can see from my signature list below my name, I have been programming 800-Trunked & Conventional radios and scanners for 20 years. :)

••David

Ubbe

And there's no problem when you listen live to that VHF channel?

It could be another scanning radio that interfere with that frequency, especially if you have them connected to the same antenna and the isolation is bad between the receivers. Or a data transmitter pumping out short transmissions with a couple of seconds intervals that interfere.

Listen with squelch fully open and then check the recording.

/Ubbe

AK4FD

Premium Subscriber
No problem listening only on the recording. I don't have any other radios or scanners around it. When I tell you I've investigated every possible interference issue you can believe it, and I'm still puzzled! My Uniden BCD536HP doesn't do it and neither do my radios or scanners. It has to be device-specific.

Wackyracer

Premium Subscriber
When you listen to the recording on via the scanner.....does it also skip? if so try reinstalling the cpu firmware. If not try reinstalling ezscan. Be sure to archive your data, then delete the ezscan files in your documents folder to fully remove the program.

SCPD

QRT
The best way to tell .. listen to the long recordings, you will see very quickly if there is an issue.

Just for those that are paying attention .. just pulled my Class 4 SanDisk card with over 32,000 recordings on it and no issues. I also have Class 2 cards that work just fine. These scanners do not need fast cards to operate.

Scanner .. WS-1095 with current updated software.

I am now going to use a SanDisk class 10 card and see if it skips. The ability to listen to the audio on the scanner has no relationship to this. The only way to tell is to listen to it on playback .. or use EzScan or a similar program to listen to the audio.

I just re-read the OP's post .. if it skips CONSISTENTLY every 2 seconds, it is a programming issue. But I am going to leave it at that, as people are going to complain that I know too much.

Status
Not open for further replies.