RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > Scanners, Receivers and Related Equipment Forums > Whistler Scanners

Whistler Scanners - For discussion of Whistler branded scanners.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 07-28-2017, 2:07 PM

What is the proper or preferred method to connect the audio to the pc?
Am I correct that you need a usb and a audio connection ?
Sponsored links
Old 07-28-2017, 2:37 PM

I use a cable that goes from the headphone jack of the TRX-1 to the line in jack in the back of the computer. 3.5mm headphone jack on both ends. You also need the USB cable.
Old 07-28-2017, 2:46 PM

Per this thread , whistler advises against connecting in this manner , not trying to be negative , just cautious as I don't want to damage the radio .

https://forums.radioreference.com/wh...nnections.html
Old 07-28-2017, 2:48 PM

Thanks for the tip - I didn't know that!
Old 07-28-2017, 4:02 PM

You missunderstood. As the speaker jack uses a non grounded floating push-pull amplifier you must galvanic isolate the grounds but the headphone jack is a standard one and is perfectly safe to connect to a computer.

The connector type will ground both units before making contact with the signal. If that connection type wasn't safe to use Whistler would have adviced against connecting a USB cable between scanner and computer.

/Ubbe
Old 07-28-2017, 4:26 PM

Cool , so am assuming that is a stereo cable from headphones to line in on pc ?
Next question . Any thoughts of the server side ever working on a raspberry PI , so a stand alone set up could be achieved?
Last question , I promise !!
Old 07-28-2017, 4:36 PM

I don't mind the questions!
Yes, that's what I use, 3.5mm jack on both ends of the cable, stereo cable. The audio is converted to mono anyway.
I have not really programmed for the Pi yet. I've only played a bit with an sdr and Pi. I don't think Microsoft DotNet works on a Pi, but I have not looked into it at all either.
Old 07-28-2017, 4:47 PM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Being my normal cautious (paranoid? pessimistic?) self, I'm quietly waiting for others to download, experiment and report before I move on this product.
Old 07-28-2017, 9:17 PM

I have been running it full time on my night shift as a news photographer for the last week. It works without issue, completely reliable, no disconnects, much better reliability than I was having with the Win500 server and app.

Just remember, good advice to put a cheap $8 ground loop isolator at the speaker output jack between the base scanner and PC line input. Audio delay PC vs app on using local WiFi is roughly the same as audio delay of a bluetooth signal...slight echo if your listening to both at the same time, which you should be doing anyway.

Paul
Old 07-28-2017, 9:24 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Still or video? And do they still do "spot news" out there?

Sorry for the thread drift.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anderegg View Post
I have been running it full time on my night shift as a news photographer for the last week. It works without issue, completely reliable, no disconnects, much better reliability than I was having with the Win500 server and app.

Just remember, good advice to put a cheap $8 ground loop isolator at the speaker output jack between the base scanner and PC line input. Audio delay PC vs app on using local WiFi is roughly the same as audio delay of a bluetooth signal...slight echo if your listening to both at the same time, which you should be doing anyway.

Paul
Old 07-28-2017, 9:30 PM

I should mention that on one of my PC's, I get a buzz/hum when I attach the line from the scanner without the USB cable also attached...unjack USB, instant buzz/hum...vey odd...I think that was using headphone jack for testing.

Pul
Old 07-28-2017, 9:38 PM

Video, I shoot for KGTV 10News, the overnight photog. When I am out of my news car, I rely on this app, Win500 version previously, to be able to hear more news while shooting a story. Runs audio through my Bluetooth headset, and my remote system consists of now a WS1098 and three PRO197's hooked up to a passive 4 port mini mixer, so I can have four scanner audio streams coming through on the TRX app's audio stream at the same time. The controllable scanner works with the app, the other scanners are set to scan limited scanlists for various important FD dispatch channels and mutual aid stuff, so they don't talk as much, but set to alert a tone and I can hear the dispatches over the normal controlled scanners random scanning audio chatter. I can pause/lock in on a working incident channel, but still continue to get multiple dispatches coming through my audio feed from the secondary mixed scanner lines. :-)

Paul
Old 07-28-2017, 9:40 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

AVG identifies it as a virus and zaps it.
Old 07-28-2017, 9:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scosgt View Post
AVG identifies it as a virus and zaps it.
Then whitelist it.
Old 07-28-2017, 9:56 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Having trouble doing that in the free edition
Old 07-28-2017, 10:03 PM

Many virus "protection" software have a "feature" that prevents you from running anything that is not popular. If they don't know the file you want to run, they think it is bad. Overprotective mommy. You might have a right click option to whitelist it.
Old 07-28-2017, 10:15 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by visegrip72 View Post
Many virus "protection" software have a "feature" that prevents you from running anything that is not popular. If they don't know the file you want to run, they think it is bad. Overprotective mommy. You might have a right click option to whitelist it.
Nope. Only the option to restore, but it still shows as quarantine with no guarantee it won't keep doing the same thing.
Old 07-28-2017, 10:16 PM

I updated the suite so the demo lasts about 10 minutes a day, it was ending WAY sooner than that before. It only uses data received towards the packet limit. Set up the audio on the pc and use the "Listen Locally" checkbox to make sure you can hear the scanner via your pc speakers. If you cannot hear it with that option checked, the Android app will not either. Don't bother trying the Android side until the pc side is all working properly. Once you connect and hear audio, the system is working. You can press buttons and view everything like you are using the scanner. Not much to it once it's up and running.
Old 07-28-2017, 10:16 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Are you working on a new .apk that actually allows the program to be tested?
Old 07-28-2017, 10:18 PM

Just saw this other option for anyone interested. Beside the teamviewer or other pc remote control app, check out this thread:
Streaming FROM an Android phone? Pretty cool idea!

Last edited by visegrip72; 07-28-2017 at 10:35 PM..