RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > Scanners, Receivers and Related Equipment Forums > Whistler Scanners

Whistler Scanners - For discussion of Whistler branded scanners.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 01-18-2018, 2:11 AM

Paul, I have also used a bluetooth earpiece with amazing results it also keeps it private and that's good - its a great app

Ray
Sponsored links
Old 01-26-2018, 12:12 PM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos

I have 2 questions:

1) Can more than 1 client connect to the server at once? I have a phone and tablet.

2) Do the call logs include audio? In other words, can you go back and replay a call in any way (even if it means doing so from the server machine)?
Old 01-26-2018, 8:12 PM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos
Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Curious (did I overlook it?) if there are plans for iPhone/iPad and Windows 10 support? If so, any idea of an ETA? Thanks - software looks very nice. I have an old ASUS tablet running Android, I am wondering if it will work with this? After I clean off the cobwebs and rust that is haha
Old 01-26-2018, 9:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TailGator911 View Post
Curious (did I overlook it?) if there are plans for iPhone/iPad and Windows 10 support? If so, any idea of an ETA? Thanks - software looks very nice. I have an old ASUS tablet running Android, I am wondering if it will work with this? After I clean off the cobwebs and rust that is haha
No plans for Apple, at least not now. They are too restrictive for software vendors who don't make that much money. Maybe I can play one day when I have spare time for those who jailbreak.

I thought the server works on Windows 10. I don't see why it would not work in windows 10. Did you try? Let me know if it does not.

The minimum Android version is 4.1 (Jelly Bean). Older than that does not work. Or at least that is what I have in the compiler as the min version.
Old 01-26-2018, 9:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillydjdan View Post
I have 2 questions:

1) Can more than 1 client connect to the server at once? I have a phone and tablet.

2) Do the call logs include audio? In other words, can you go back and replay a call in any way (even if it means doing so from the server machine)?
The software can only handle one connection at a time. You can disconnect from your phone then connect with your tablet, but both cannot be connected simultaneously.

Only data is logged, no audio. That could be a feature for future releases if there is enough desire and time. Since I don't charge for the server, It would be less of a priority in life honestly. When I get spare time, it could be something to play with for sure!
Old 01-26-2018, 10:03 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

I am using Windows 10 and everything works great here. Thank you for the great app!
Old 01-26-2018, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lehigh4me View Post
I am using Windows 10 and everything works great here. Thank you for the great app!
Thanks a ton for verifying this! Glad you are enjoying the app!
Old 01-26-2018, 10:46 PM

Art, the only thing I can think of that I could request of the app, is the ability to "keypad lock" the controls by tapping on the LCD display. I have mine set to keep display on, and if I accidentally brush the screen, I get unintentional button presses, things get skipped, sometimes I go into no scan list selected mode, which is kind of a PITA to get back scanning again while covering breaking news. I don't know how simple/difficult that would be to include, but if you do, maybe just access the function that reads the server as sending out the controllable enable checkbox...that would grey out the keys giving a visual indication the keypad is locked. :-)

Paul
Old 01-26-2018, 11:18 PM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos
Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Ok great on the Win 10! Thanks!
Old 02-06-2018, 10:25 AM

Default Oh Wow!!!

This is really cool. I see myself having a new toy in the near future. What kind of bandwidth consumption are you all seeing and how much average data is the app using? I know that depends on the feed, I'm just looking for averages. Is there an option in the software to disallow connections when on cell data? I ask these questions because I have a company phone and I have to watch my data usage. I connect to wireless when I can but wouldn't want to blow my data usage through the roof.
Old 02-06-2018, 1:51 PM

I don't think I ever really looked into how much data it pushes. I know you can use compressed audio, which I use, and it uses about 10x less data. Others with better ears say it sounds a lot better uncompressed. As for blocking cell data use, the app itself does not have that feature. I know in my androids, I can go to settings and data usage and restrict usage there. You may want to check that area, it will tell you what is using your data the most.
Old 02-07-2018, 7:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by visegrip72 View Post
I don't think I ever really looked into how much data it pushes. I know you can use compressed audio, which I use, and it uses about 10x less data. Others with better ears say it sounds a lot better uncompressed. As for blocking cell data use, the app itself does not have that feature. I know in my androids, I can go to settings and data usage and restrict usage there. You may want to check that area, it will tell you what is using your data the most.
ok thanks for that info.
Old 02-07-2018, 3:12 PM

Thumbs up Thanks!

Thank you for such an awesome app, we all appreciate your efforts on the Whistler user side!
Keep em coming.
Old 02-08-2018, 11:41 AM

Cool Thanks.

Thanks for this it works treat on windows 10.
Very nice app you have built.
Old 02-10-2018, 10:53 PM

With UNCOMPRESSED audio, my Android is telling me my phone ate 560MB of TRX App data in the past 5 day work week. I remember on the Win500 App I was seeing about 2GB per month...so the same, but important to remember I use the app extensively for my job. Whenever I am out of my vehicle, the app is on and streaming. Uncompressed audio is so clean, it sounds like I am connected to the scanner with a wired headphone jack...I typically have to check to see that the app is started if I don't hear any talking for too long, as it has almost zero hiss or background noise.

Paul
Old 02-16-2018, 12:29 PM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos
Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

I don't know if this has been discussed but I'm trying to figure out a few things. Help!
Lol
1. Do I use the port number that's already in the box (8086) or a different number?

2. When i foward a port which ip address go where?

I'm trying to connect to the trx1 from my cellphone and I'm getting confused with what ip address goes where. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk
Old 02-16-2018, 1:54 PM

The away IP is what you see when you type "what is my IP" into Google search. Enter that number into the Android phone.

For port, you can change it to anything you wish to, I always change mine, because I get lot's of hacker connections on my server log from random IP address on the other side of the planet!

For port forwarding, your router should be able to show you the connected devices. Find your PC's sub IP local address, best to see if the router has a selection to keep that local address static so it doesn't change. Use that local internal number to port forward whatever port number you set in the TRX server app. A normal example, if you leave the port 8086, would be local PC 192.168.1.11, forward port 8086 traffic to that number.

Paul
Old 02-16-2018, 2:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anderegg View Post
The away IP is what you see when you type "what is my IP" into Google search. Enter that number into the Android phone.

For port, you can change it to anything you wish to, I always change mine, because I get lot's of hacker connections on my server log from random IP address on the other side of the planet!

For port forwarding, your router should be able to show you the connected devices. Find your PC's sub IP local address, best to see if the router has a selection to keep that local address static so it doesn't change. Use that local internal number to port forward whatever port number you set in the TRX server app. A normal example, if you leave the port 8086, would be local PC 192.168.1.11, forward port 8086 traffic to that number.

Paul
There are proper names for these things.
So Away IP is really the server's public IP.

And you need to configure the router the server is connected to so that it forwards the chosen port to the server's local IP.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk
Old 02-16-2018, 9:40 PM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos
Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

I'm up and running, thanks for the quick response. Thank you very much!
Old 02-17-2018, 2:04 PM

Glad you are up and running. Quick note - make sure your PC (the one running the server) has a static IP, or the port forwarding updates properly, in case your computer restarts and gets a new IP from your router. The same goes for your public IP. Either pay for a static IP from your ISP, or use a free DDNS service, such as FreeDNS, which is what I do. Using that setup, you can either have your router configured to update the DDNS, or your server (since it is online anyway) run a free app to keep the DDNS updated.

Or, if your IP does not change often, just remember to double check your IP addresses if the system fails to connect.