Got a TRX-2 my first whistler

Status
Not open for further replies.

cistercian

I have been scanning a long time and already own a GRE built scanner...my Pro 2006 Radio Shack. It is still a superior receiver for analog work. I bought a Uniden Homepatrol 2 and have really enjoyed it but since the TRX-2 decodes more modes I decided to get one and add it to the shack.

The first couple of hours went badly after unboxing...The radio was dead...nada.The dc supply it came with was fine so I tried reseating the front panel...and it sprung to life.I was unable to make a copy of the SD card that would work...because when I recently upgraded my PC I lost my dedicated SD formatting program. I finally succeeded using the ez scan program. Then I tried programming the radio via the front panel...agony...

I was not happy...and then it clicked. Once I finally understood what the nomenclature meant I rapidly programmed my local P25 phase 2 system and the state police for my area which is a P25 phase 1 system and let her rip. I set up the HP-2 to compare. The TRX-2 locked up faster on transmissions than the HP...and the audio is better as well.

I like the HP front panel and very simple user interface a lot...the TRX-2 is very different with a much smaller display... but I really like the receiver in the TRX-2. It works better than I hoped and is a major upgrade not even taking into account the additional modes it is capable of.

The only thing I would ding whistler for is how slow the updating is when upgrading firmware...it acted like it had locked up multiple times...I waited and it finished everything correctly. I can see how some could easily corrupt the SD by interrupting the flash because they thought it was unresponsive.

Other than that criticism I love the radio and it is on whenever I am home.

Excellent scanner!!!

TRX-2

i got mine few month's ago i replaced my Pro-197 so far it works 90% of the time better scanner also got me the G5 VHF pager that BLOWS away all scanner i hope in time Unication makes scanners like the pagers.

cistercian

i got mine few month's ago i replaced my Pro-197 so far it works 90% of the time better scanner also got me the G5 VHF pager that BLOWS away all scanner i hope in time Unication makes scanners like the pagers.

Commercial grade scanning receivers would be epic. I am considering trying a SDR. I think it would be fun.
The Airspy looks promising.

I heard a great stakeout/ close in to apprehend transmission on it yesterday. A great catch. It seems to be barely warm after 12 hours. I like it!

Machria

Premium Subscriber
I have been scanning a long time and already own a GRE built scanner...my Pro 2006 Radio Shack. It is still a superior receiver for analog work. I bought a Uniden Homepatrol 2 and have really enjoyed it but since the TRX-2 decodes more modes I decided to get one and add it to the shack.

The first couple of hours went badly after unboxing...The radio was dead...nada.The dc supply it came with was fine so I tried reseating the front panel...and it sprung to life.I was unable to make a copy of the SD card that would work...because when I recently upgraded my PC I lost my dedicated SD formatting program. I finally succeeded using the ez scan program. Then I tried programming the radio via the front panel...agony...

I was not happy...and then it clicked. Once I finally understood what the nomenclature meant I rapidly programmed my local P25 phase 2 system and the state police for my area which is a P25 phase 1 system and let her rip. I set up the HP-2 to compare. The TRX-2 locked up faster on transmissions than the HP...and the audio is better as well.

I like the HP front panel and very simple user interface a lot...the TRX-2 is very different with a much smaller display... but I really like the receiver in the TRX-2. It works better than I hoped and is a major upgrade not even taking into account the additional modes it is capable of.

The only thing I would ding whistler for is how slow the updating is when upgrading firmware...it acted like it had locked up multiple times...I waited and it finished everything correctly. I can see how some could easily corrupt the SD by interrupting the flash because they thought it was unresponsive.

Excellent scanner!!!

Nice write-up, After months with the TRX1 I am really h1-appy with it. You touched on my 2 biggest beefs with it though. Screen size which is jut ridiculous. 2- the update/download speed which takes for-e-v-e-r!! Take the chip out and put it directly in your PC and it downloads/uploads in seconds. Use the USB cable and it takes what seems like days. I'm not sure why it takes so long via USB, it shouldn't.

Enjoy!

Machria

Premium Subscriber

Excellent scanner!!!

Remove the SD card from the scanner, and update it directly in the PC/laptop card reader and it takes seconds. Once you figure that out, the updating is fine.

But your comment on the small display is dead on. The display on the TRX2 is nothing short of being ridiculous. I'll say this until something is done, and it's not just directed at Whistler because they are all guilty. PUT A REAL DISPLAY on the scanners please!!! One a 50+ year old can actually read without a magnifying glass. Maybe even a splash of color would be nice to add some contrast. It is 2017 after all, not 1972!

Ed6698

much obliged

The best way I have found to program the radio is to use the Preferred method in the Select Import Type. It gives better control on what you want to listen to. The other methods usually bring in far to much stuff to scan. I always include a Wildcard in the Options and set it to record. That way you will be able catch some things you may not have in radio and can add later.

SCPD

QRT
How do you like the TRX2 so far,is it fast to scan and does the squelch open quickly?Are you missing any action or words?

Ubbe

Probably all TRX-2 open squelch slowly, or rather enable the audio chain to the loudspeaker slowly.
When listening to the recordings the audio opens up fast as it should and you even hear, on conventional channels,
that the squelch opens up before the carrier audio is heard, making a pssht sound with each start of the recoding
due to the audio delay line whistler uses to get rid of the squelch tail.

/Ubbe

greggk

Premium Subscriber
Just out of curiosity, what handhelds do you have? what model did you buy? Thanks. Greg

greggk

Premium Subscriber
Glad to hear that. You did the right thing. I've had no issues with my 436/536, no software problems, and Sentinel can program both of them the same, if you wish, and only one cable. Enjoy. Greg IMHO. YMMV. FWIW.

(Are you sending the Whistler back?)

Status
Not open for further replies.