TRX-1: Help me with TRX-1 P25 800

Status
Not open for further replies.

mejnetguru

Ok, longer post on a unexplained issue, hoping the masses can help.

Earlier I had horrible issues getting usable decode on my TRX-1 for the local PS (FFX County, VA) P25 Phase 2 (800) system. No matter what I changed, system was largely deaf on the TRX-1. Largely "S", with flickers of "T". I eventually gave up and just use my 1098 and 1080 (former GRE) that work perfectly for FFX, even on a simple rubber duck.

I also had similar issues with VA STARS P25 (VHF) on the TRX-1 but slightly different. I was surprised when I added a multi coupler to put the TRX on the external antenna and suddenly STARS was perfect. Someone suggested (a different thread) that the multi coupler might have reduced overload that TRX known for allowing the STARS to come in. Sounds reasonable, and so I went back to trying to get FFX working thinking it might be a similar situation. Nope, still deaf.

So, right now I have three scanners on the multi coupler connected to an external discone, two pull in FFX perfect, the TRX was still deaf. Getting frustrated, I dug into the setup again. Monitoring one TG as an object (not a scanlist) I saw the same 90% "S" with flickering "T" but noticed the signal bar was "toggling" between 0 and full bars and seemed to be in-sync with the "S"/T" switching. Hmm, almost like a problem with CC. So I deleted all the CCs except the currently active one. Bamn, almost perfect decode. Full bars, mostly "T" with flickers of "S" and voice works fine (mostly, still some LSM issues, probably a separate problem).

So why can't the TRX seem to stay put on the primary CC, seems like it's checking all the CCs (very slowly) even though the primary is strong so thus I miss most traffic. My other scanners do not have any issue, they stay put.

I checked STARS (VHF) it has no problems with multiple CCs programed in the one site I have active. I checked another site WMATA (UHF), it too works fine (low strength due to my distance). Seems to be just the FFX system.

I started looking at the Threshold Hi/Lo settings but could find no settings that made any difference.

Help. Please :)

Ubbe

Try to enter one CC in tune mode, Fn+0, then it will stay put on that frequency.
If the TRX are actually trunktracking from the control channel in a P25 system
I would guess it scans all CCs in a system and they will have different signal strenghts.

As soon as you deal with a scanner I recommend getting a variable attenuator to get more familiar
with what the antenna signals are doing to your scanner. If more attenuation only makes the signal worse
it could be a bad connector or coax or you'll need to increase the signal levels with an amplifier.

/Ubbe

Ed6698

I wonder what is different, I listen to my WS1095 all the time on 2 different simulcast systems and it works perfectly, one is P1 and the other is P2. Must be your location more then likely.

Ed6698

Negative. Other scanners work fine. Even the PSR-800 works fine.

Well if that is the case and you know it is set up properly, I would be sending it in to get looked at. if you have other radios that work, there must be something not setup right or not right with something internally.

budevans

Here's something you can try. Check your squelch setting. My TRX-1 won't receive P25 if the squelch is set above the 9 O'clock setting. None of my other scanners have this problem. Just the TRX-1.

Try turning the squelch all of the way down, if your P25 starts working slowly turn it up to find the cut off point.

Bill1426

I don't know about mejnetguru, but as for me, I've tried that. I have also imported P25 Phase I, DRM, and NXDN channels to see if there is an issue there.. I get nothing..
It looks like I can only receive Non-Digital Talkgroups, and Conv channels. Sent an email to Whistler...

gman65

Premium Subscriber
With some help on systems here in the west, I've been told the issue is how the TRX processors work to decode. It constantly cycles and is a design issue.

The solution is as you found, is programming just the control channel and extending the Dwell setting so it stays there instead of tuning other frequencies. You also need to only have that list active for best results.

It isn't very practical, but it seems to work.

mejnetguru

Try to enter one CC in tune mode, Fn+0, then it will stay put on that frequency.
If the TRX are actually trunktracking from the control channel in a P25 system
I would guess it scans all CCs in a system and they will have different signal strenghts.

As soon as you deal with a scanner I recommend getting a variable attenuator to get more familiar
with what the antenna signals are doing to your scanner. If more attenuation only makes the signal worse
it could be a bad connector or coax or you'll need to increase the signal levels with an amplifier.

/Ubbe

That is what I did. I removed all CCs expect the currently active one (the primary). I don't have any need for attenuation (and it doesn't help) as the primary has good strength. With the active CC (only) programed, it works fine (I can deal with the remaining LSM issues with some DSP adjustments). If I put any other CC (FFX has three alternates), I start dropping traffic.

mejnetguru

Here's something you can try. Check your squelch setting. My TRX-1 won't receive P25 if the squelch is set above the 9 O'clock setting. None of my other scanners have this problem. Just the TRX-1.

Try turning the squelch all of the way down, if your P25 starts working slowly turn it up to find the cut off point.

Generally speaking, on any other P25 system with the TRX, I've had to set squelch to 0 to get it to work reliably. Same with FFX, even with only the primary CC programed, I have to set squelch to 0

devicelab

Whacker Extraordinaire
I removed all CCs expect the currently active one (the primary). I don't have any need for attenuation (and it doesn't help) as the primary has good strength. With the active CC (only) programed, it works fine (I can deal with the remaining LSM issues with some DSP adjustments). If I put any other CC (FFX has three alternates), I start dropping traffic.

This doesn't work for me. I can have one frequency (the CC) and the TRX-1 will hit on a voice channel and then the VC will start 'cycling' on the display. The TRX is getting confused. Every so often it will work but it fails about 95% of the time.

I submitted a bug report to Whistler and they contacted me for more information. Per their request, I submitted detailed debug logs back to them.

I haven't heard anything further from them since.

gman65

Premium Subscriber
This doesn't work for me. I can have one frequency (the CC) and the TRX-1 will hit on a voice channel and then the VC will start 'cycling' on the display. The TRX is getting confused. Every so often it will work but it fails about 95% of the time.

I submitted a bug report to Whistler and they contacted me for more information. Per their request, I submitted detailed debug logs back to them.

I haven't heard anything further from them since.

I had similar issues. I had to go into the Whistler software and duplicate the downloaded system to get the talkgroups I wanted. Then manually delete all the site frequencies. I also set the Dwell setting to 25 seconds so it sits there longer. Turning squelch down all the way helped also. In addition, when you run an update for the library, it will overwrite the frequencies even if you uncheck all the update settings for your stored data. It's a pain to repeatedly do that. Luckily things don't change that much here so I avoid updating my lists and systems unless I know there is a change I need.

I've also manually created a new system and typed in the control channel and selected talkgroups I wanted to hear. Again, you need to set it up to sit on one frequency and nothing else. It's silly, and a good reason to have more than one or two scanners. Kinda like women and shoes.

devicelab

Whacker Extraordinaire
I had similar issues. I had to go into the Whistler software and duplicate the downloaded system to get the talkgroups I wanted. Then manually delete all the site frequencies. I also set the Dwell setting to 25 seconds so it sits there longer. Turning squelch down all the way helped also. In addition, when you run an update for the library, it will overwrite the frequencies even if you uncheck all the update settings for your stored data. It's a pain to repeatedly do that. Luckily things don't change that much here so I avoid updating my lists and systems unless I know there is a change I need.

I don't use the RR database. I want my scanner to work.

I've also manually created a new system and typed in the control channel and selected talkgroups I wanted to hear. Again, you need to set it up to sit on one frequency and nothing else. It's silly, and a good reason to have more than one or two scanners. Kinda like women and shoes.

Again, this didn't work for me. I messed with the dwell setting before but will try it again. There have been a few firmware versions since I messed with it.

Ed6698

I don't use the RR database. I want my scanner to work.

Again, this didn't work for me. I messed with the dwell setting before but will try it again. There have been a few firmware versions since I messed with it.

What antenna are you using? I have the RS 800mhz antenna on my 1080 and 1095, run the squelch as low as it can go on both.

My reception is near perfect on a 700mhz P25 Phase II simulcast system and a 800mhz P25 Phase I simulcast system.

Status
Not open for further replies.