WS1088: New vs Refurbished

Status
Not open for further replies.

troymail

Silent Key
I buy refurbished stuff all of the time (not necessarily Whistler things) -- and I've never had a problem. Saves me ALOT of money. These types of sales still typically come with some warranty either way so if it ain't right and as long as it doesn't say "all sales final" (I'd never buy under those conditions), you shouldn't have to worry.

BUT - it's up to you to read the fine print!

DJ11DLN

I bought a 1095 at the recent sale. It looks brand-new and functions perfectly. Though this was my first one from Whistler, I've bought other refurb'd electronics at a discount over the years and had good luck with almost all of it. In some cases, the items were better than "new," since a tech had actually spent time with them, fixing what was wrong, aligning, etc.

sjgostovich

I'm almost more comfortable buying refurbished stuff because they have fixed what will likely fail on a new unit. I've purchased 4 high end digital scanners that have been refurbished and have never had any issues with any of them.

n5ims

I have also had good luck with refurbished items. One thing to think about though is that often there's a huge difference in warranty with the refurbs having a much shorter warranty than the new item. Chances are that this won't really make any difference since most folks don't have to do any warranty repairs and the refurb unit had more than the automated checks of a new unit when the tech repaired it and got it certified for resale.

SCPD

QRT
You could look at it like this too, the refurbs have all the issues taken out of them so you probably wont need a warranty.

Ubbe

You have to understand that a technician can spend only a very limited time on one unit until the cost exceeds the manufacturing cost of a new unit. But what I understand from reading the RR forum most of the returns are from people that cannot operate or program these scanners and should be safe to buy as refurbished. As the warranty time are reduced on refurbished units and not prolonged one have to think of what the reason might be.

/Ubbe

WhistlerWendy

Premium Subscriber
We've also added a few Scratch and Dent items as well. These are NOT "refurbished". They are in working condition but they may have blemishes - scratched displays, dented case. You get the idea. Limited inventory. FCFS. No holds. Online only. 90 day warranty. No returns. Yadda yadda :)

Status
Not open for further replies.