TRX-1: 700mhz and a paper clip?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SCPD

QRT
Anyone on here use a paper clip on your $500 Whistler scanner!?
This is what The Whistler Representative told me to do!
Are you serious?!I can not beleive my ears.
How is it supposed to stay in while I take it portable?
Is this going to be covered under warranty if I ruin the BNC connector?!
I still cant beleive it.
The scanner does not receive/decode 700mhz digital Phase 2 well,face it.
I even tried a specialty antenna and it doesnt help.

Raff

Sometimes it works better than a dedicated antenna. Obtain a triangular shaped paper clip, fold out till it is straight. Obtain a 90 degree BNC. Place the end of the paper clip in the BNC, then attach it to the scanner. Right now, that is what I am using.

SCPD

QRT
No, youre missing the point, Im not doing that with a $500 scanner I paid good money for!

Last edited:

ecps92

Exactly and it works, not just for 700. but also the 800 Simulcast issues.

Sometimes Too much signal / antenna is bad.

To the OP, try it, you might like it. :D
Sometimes it works better than a dedicated antenna. Obtain a triangular shaped paper clip, fold out till it is straight. Obtain a 90 degree BNC. Place the end of the paper clip in the BNC, then attach it to the scanner. Right now, that is what I am using.

JD21960

Premium Subscriber
TRX-1 700Mhz Paper clip?

I sympathize with you. I have the WS1080 and have gone through all this before. With each new release of their scanners the forums filled with all the same questions and "fixes" I had to get a big 700/800mhz YAGI antenna for my apartment to defeat Simulcast interference here. It works, but not all the time. And driving with a Whistler? trying to get a Trunked simulcast system, especially Phase II? forget it. I did find something that worked in heavy interference areas but it's all just a crap shoot. This video
https://youtu.be/mKxp3-2_y8g

ON YTube shows my WS1080 getting phase II with just a BNC to RCA adapter AS the antenna. It must be near the correct length or something for the frequency. It worked mobile too with an window antenna clip. But still, not a real solution. I tried this instead of jamming a damn paper-clip in the antenna slot. BUT I finally gave up and got a Unication G5-v Pager. Can't say enough good things about it AND Unication but understand that not everyone has like $1000 to spend on their hobby. The WS1080 and Whistler scanners are pretty good when they work, but they simply don't get what we buy them for... P25 Trunked, Phase II transmissions. It's a shame. Maybe in 2018?

Last edited by a moderator:

adcockfred

yeah,
yeah, yeah, rub it in, if I get back in the field next December I will go to command and get a uni.
non river rat

SCPD

QRT
Yeah I saw how good it works on 700,you are right! You have to see the Whistler, the decode drops out every 1-2 seconds.Dont get me wrong on everything else it works great.

SCPD

QRT
Due to LSM its next to impossible, Im experimenting with things now.
You dont want to know.....
One thing thats helped reception was removing the shield off on the Lower shield box thats opposite the shield box where the BNC connection goes.Helped alot.Takes a few seconds and can be snapped back on.
Also separated the coils in the right hole on the upper box,that helped too.Works now with my antenna with radio sitting on desk
Copper tape in battery compartment and back half is minimizing interference to itself.(that I did awhile ago)
Im using the Radio Shack 800mhz antenna that everyone on here raves about.

Attachments

• dsc01101.jpg
    dsc01101.jpg
    81.9 KB · Views: 739
Last edited:

boanscannerman66

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
One thing thats helped reception was removing the shield off on the shield box thats opposite the shield box where the BNC connection goes.Helped alot.Takes a few seconds and can be snapped back on.

@K1NNG How Much IS home Patrol Any Idea ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
How Much IS home Patrol Any Idea ?
You can find the price of the Uniden Home Patrol scanner at any number of on-line retailers.

Oh, communicating on this forum is not the same as text messaging or using Twitter. If you reply to someone with a quote, there is no need to preface your reply with @K1NNG or such designators.

SCPD

QRT
Interesting question on a Whistler part of the board .... $399-up is the Huome Patrol 2,it does not do NXDN like the Whistler. Home Patrol 1 does Not do Phase 2 decode.

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
Interesting question on a Whistler part of the board...
I agree and it was my error for not deleting the off-topic posts. Let's keep this conversation focused on the TRX-1.

ecps92

You complain about the price of the radio and a simple suggestion that the Vendor suggests that has been known to work

Yet you VOID any warranty by making internal modifications to the radio, o yea a $500 radio :roll:

Peanuts, Popcorn, Antacids :cool:

One thing thats helped reception was removing the shield off on the Lower shield box thats opposite the shield box where the BNC connection goes.Helped alot.Takes a few seconds and can be snapped back on.
Also separated the coils in the right hole on the upper box,that helped too.Works now with my antenna with radio sitting on desk
Copper tape in battery compartment and back half is minimizing interference to itself.(that I did awhile ago)

N8DRC

Premium Subscriber
You complain about the price of the radio and a simple suggestion that the Vendor suggests that has been known to work

Yet you VOID any warranty by making internal modifications to the radio, o yea a $500 radio :roll:

Peanuts, Popcorn, Antacids :cool:

Was thinking the same thing.....

SCPD

QRT
Well

Well it works now on 700 mhz without a stupid paper clip.Nothing that cant be undone and its past warranty time so they arent going to fix it for free anyways.Would have been nice if it worked right out of the box the way it does now.Anyone reading this knows LSM distortion kicks the crap out of the GRE,RadioShack,Whistlers.The only one that worked decent was the BCD-436HP,but I hated the display it was hard to see.Love the big display on the Whistler especially with Capital letters.

w5rah

It seems like with Whistler scanners, with the simulcast systems, one has to tweak settings just right then either use a very minimal antenna or a very high gain antenna to minimize the LSM distortion. I have a 1098 I'm trying to dial in for the TXWARN system here in Houston and its been a little challenge. I have a Uniden 436 that seems to have little to no problem with the simulcast systems and its frustrating to hear it chatter away while I'm trying to figure out the best settings for the 1098 (as well as my 1080). Get it away from simulcast sites, and its a champ...simulcast just does not play nicely with it. I think I will try the factory 1080 antenna on the back of my 1098 horizontally polarized to attenuate it a little more and see if that helps with the reception.

adcockfred

Yeah, you have discovered our little secrete, and thanks for backing me up on 436 and lsm. Also I found if you use your cell phone map, it is a lots easier to find a sweet spot while mobile.

Ubbe

An antenna usually attenuate signals the most when pointing at the source. You should try and point the antenna at the site with the lowest signal to attenuate it more, or just experiment until it works. Having the antenna vertical is no good when experiance a simulcast issue.

/Ubbe

Status
Not open for further replies.