Zipscanner?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TXscannernut

Question: Has any one bought a scanner from zipscanner.com? My Pro-106 is out dated for my area ( Flower Mound, Tx). So I'm looking around. I was told either a Whistler 1080 or 1088. But Zipscanner is really pushing the TRX-1 when I'm emailing them.

Any suggestions about. iOS Anne.com or TRX-1? They will also program the scanner for me, since I had someone program my Pro-106.
Thanks,
John

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
Question: Has any one bought a scanner from zipscanner.com? My Pro-106 is out dated for my area ( Flower Mound, Tx). So I'm looking around. I was told either a Whistler 1080 or 1088. But Zipscanner is really pushing the TRX-1 when I'm emailing them.

Any suggestions about. iOS Anne.com or TRX-1? They will also program the scanner for me, since I had someone program my Pro-106.
Thanks,
John
I have not purchased from Zipscanner, so I can't rate them either way. I've seen a number of good comments about them, and a few not so good.

The WS1080 (discontinued, but still available from some sources) and the WS1088 are basically the same scanner. The 1088 is an updated version that added a numeric keypad.

The TRX-1 is an updated version of the 1088, but with additional features and supposedly a better receiver. I bought the TRX-1 because it offers something that the other scanners do not- NXDN capability. Four Dallas suburbs near me use that format. I will say that, when connected to my rooftop antenna, the TRX-1 performs poorly compared to my other, mostly Uniden, scanners. I suspect that it is overloading from too much signal strength from cell towers, which is the same thing that affected my PSR-500. (The PSR-500 is the same scanner as your Pro-106, but has the GRE nameplate on it. GRE made the 106 for RadioShack, with the R/S nameplate.)

All three of these scanners can do P25 Phase II, which is what you need for the Denton County system now. They all can be updated to handle DMR. While there are not a lot of public safety systems using DMR in the DFW Metro area, CareFlite (medevac) uses a DMR system for dispatches. There are a number of DMR trunked systems used by businesses in the area, and some of the school districts are also using DMR.

The TRX-1 can be updated for NXDN, but there are no public safety agencies near you that use this format. Eventually, long term, the railroads are supposed to shift to NXDN, but that could take years to be fully implemented. I believe I have seen comments in the past that the DCTA (the A-Train that runs from Denton to a DART light rail station in Carrollton) may be using NXDN.
Any suggestions about. iOS Anne.com. They will also program the scanner for me, since I had someone program my Pro-106.
I'm not familiar with this.

The three scanners you asked about are all 'database scanners'. These have the RadioReference database loaded on a memory card, and can be programmed by using your location, If you have a Windows computer you can create your favorites list easily in the software that comes with the scanner. Lots of past threads on doing that, as well as other webpages.

SCPD

QRT
So excited ,I tried to buy my TRX1 from them, they told me they had it in stock then they dialed me over and told me they didnt have it (what a let down!) and they'd ship it in a week, I would avoid them like the plague! Glad I didnt place an order.

mandcaff

I just got a trx-2 from bearcatwarehouse.com very fast shipping, very good price and actually got a call from a real person to make sure all my shipping info was correct.

MTScannerNut

I just got a trx-2 from bearcatwarehouse.com very fast shipping, very good price and actually got a call from a real person to make sure all my shipping info was correct.

That's where I got my TRX-2 as well. I'm not completely satisfied with the service I got though. The first unit I got was defective (a TRX-1), and I had to pay the return shipping cost as they would not provide a shipping label.

I'm spoiled by Amazon Prime, and I try and buy everything I can from them. I regret not having spent the extra $15 and purchased from Amazon. Free shipping and free returns no questions asked, no BS. Most of these other smaller vendors have unreasonable restocking fees, shipping fees, strict return conditions, etc. Just my opinion.

nacsr

Premium Subscriber
Amazon

Bought my TRX 1 from Amazon . Got in a few days, no complaints.

cal50

+1 for Ham Station.

I have a TRX currently on order with them.
I emailed them and got a quick reply and they held it for me.

Daleb49

Premium Subscriber
I bought my TRX-1 from Hamstation.
Quick service had it a few days after I ordered it.
Very pleased with Jeff and Hamstation.

cal50

I actually emailed both places and inquired about paying by money order and Ham Station was the 1st to respond, on a Saturday to boot so they got my order. I have read nothing but good things about them so it was an easy selection.

AggieCon

Premium Subscriber
Ham Station consistently has the lowest or at least competitive price on TRX models.

No surprise that Zip Scanners tried to upsale you. Nothing wrong with having NXDN capability, but if you have a specific scanning goal that does not require NXDN, no reason not to save some money. I suspect that Zip Scanners is going to say about whatever is needed to try to make a sale and make the most money. You can search on this website for more stories. That said, they are trying to do some useful things like posting how to videos.

I can also tell you that a lot of people order Whistler Scanners from Amazon via my website (DigitalFrequencySearch), and, to date, no one has emailed me any complaints. But no positive reviews either to speak of.

Ham Station--and you'll deal with Jeff who does the scanner sales--I have received a number of stories about positive experience with Ham Station.

As far as programming goes, I do not recommend paying a dealer for that "service." I have not been impressed with the "custom" programming I have seen. Most appear to be little more than using this website's import functions. Additionally, if you pay for programming help, it ought to come in a format by which you learn how to program along the way. Without outing anyone, I will say that I've seen programs from a couple of dealers, but, to my knowledge, Ham Station does not do programming. I have seen Jeff's programs and can attest that he knows how to program scanners.

*If you are a dealer offering programming services and think that your programs might impress me enough to recommend the prices you charge, please send me an example. I am happy to reevaluate my position on this.

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
Ham Station consistently has the lowest or at least competitive price on TRX models.

No surprise that Zip Scanners tried to upsale you. Nothing wrong with having NXDN capability, but if you have a specific scanning goal that does not require NXDN, no reason not to save some money. I suspect that Zip Scanners is going to say about whatever is needed to try to make a sale and make the most money. You can search on this website for more stories. That said, they are trying to do some useful things like posting how to videos.

I can also tell you that a lot of people order Whistler Scanners from Amazon via my website (DigitalFrequencySearch), and, to date, no one has emailed me any complaints. But no positive reviews either to speak of.

Ham Station--and you'll deal with Jeff who does the scanner sales--I have received a number of stories about positive experience with Ham Station.
I've ordered from The Ham Station before. No problems at all. Ordered my 536HP and one of the 436HP's from them.

As far as programming goes, I do not recommend paying a dealer for that "service." I have not been impressed with the "custom" programming I have seen. Most appear to be little more than using this website's import functions. Additionally, if you pay for programming help, it ought to come in a format by which you learn how to program along the way. Without outing anyone, I will say that I've seen programs from a couple of dealers, but, to my knowledge, Ham Station does not do programming. I have seen Jeff's programs and can attest that he knows how to program scanners.

*If you are a dealer offering programming services and think that your programs might impress me enough to recommend the prices you charge, please send me an example. I am happy to reevaluate my position on this.
I've seen Jeff, on occasion, offer 'free programming' for one county with the purchase of a scanner. That's usually when there is a mini-price war going on, or a major holiday is approaching, and he might add that to sweeten the pot. Currently, programming is not listed.

Besides the fact that someone not in your area is going to simply guess what you want and can hear when pre-programming your scanner, there is also the issue of updates. On any given day, a number of states, counties, cities, and systems are updated. You can see them colored in green on the initial database page. If you pay an out of state party to program your scanner, are you going to send it back to them again, and pay another fee, to get something updated? You're better off using the resources on this site, plus the various YouTube videos, to program your scanner. While it is in your best interests to learn to program manually at some point, for a person new to scanning, or to that specific type (DMA or OOS), using software is a much better starting choice. Using software, you can see virtually all of the information needed at the same time. If you get stumped, you can post your file here on the forums and let someone take a peke at it to see what was omitted or incorrectly entered. Also by using software, you may be able to get a file for your area, that you can install and get to explore using the scanner. You can also review how the information on a file someone provided is entered, so that you can begin to do it yourself.

scotttish

C grade

I have bought a TRX 1 and 2 from them. Their web site says great things about their customer service BUT it lacks in actuality. They are not my "go to guys" for any questions about scanner issues. 90% of the time, they will refer you to Whistler Customer service with any questions about troubleshooting and such. Overall, I'd give them a C grade.

kb7ado

I emailed them when I found a lower price at Ham Station, which was $479.95, because they said they'll do price matching. It was about $50 cheaper than their price at the time. Zipscanner also posts on their site that shipping is always free. They said they would match that price but the total would be $497.95 which included shipping. So they were charging $18 extra for shipping because Hamstation did, even though their site specifically stated shipping was free. The unit I got had a bad connection in the control head and they told me to contact Whistler. No offer to send a replacement or anything. As for programming, I downloaded the software days ahead of time so I could play with it and see how things worked.

cal50

Looks like I get my TRX-1 Thursday from the Ham Station.
Great guys to deal with but the USPS postal service took a LONG time getting my money order to them.

The pony express would be faster.
Fingers crossed for a good unit with no issues but its good to know HS has your back for help if needed.

eorange

♦Insane Asylum Premium Member♦
So you're not impressed with scanner programming services, yet you're trying to haggle a sample for free? :roll:

HOLEBILLY

zipscanner send me two bad TRX1 scanners. I had to contact whistler and they made it right. Would not buy from zipscanner again. I did have to pay shipping to whisller but it was worth it in the long run.

MTScannerNut

What is it with these companies that expect the customer to pay return shipping on a brand new defective product? This is not 1985. There are many companies, namely Amazon, who will provide a return label no questions asked. I don't care if you are a small business or not. That is the cost of doing business in 2017.

cal50

Buying factory sealed items that are defective should be covered by the factory IMHO.
I never expect something for nothing but incurring added cost to cover a factory defect is also wrong.

Ubbe

Sometimes in the retail business they buy goods from a manufacturer without any warranty insurances.
They get the goods at a better price that way and they try to handle the warranty claims by buying extra swap units. Sometimes the retailer tries to fix the units themselfs, to save a buck, without really making a proper final test and sell them as new, not refurbished. Try to stay away from those retailers, if their business concept gets known.

/Ubbe

Status
Not open for further replies.