New Whistler WS1088 owner with a bunch of ??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi everyone,
I have a few questions about the Whistler WS1088. Please forgive me if these questions are commonly asked questions, as I have tried to find answers, and although I have found answers to some of my questions, I have not found answers to all of them.

1) When I store a trunked system or a conventional frequency in one scanlist, and then store some of the talkgroups or conventional frequencies on another scanlist, the talkgroups or frequencies from the first scanlist will not stay in the memory and will be deleted. This seems to be a feature to prevent copying the same data which could be very useful. However, sometimes I want to keep a few frequencies the same over a couple scanlists. Is there a way to disable this feature?

2) Is there a way to have the radio use the spectrum sweeper while actively scanning a scanlist?

3) How do I turn down the audio on P25 phase II which is much louder than Phase I?

4) For some reason the Spectrum Sweeper will not pick up my HT's transmissions on 70cm while it will on 2 meters. (It works on 70cm on another radio) I've turned Zeromatic off and then it picks it up but was wondering if there is a possible explanation or solution to this problem while keeping Zeromatic on?

5) When recording, is there a way to get the radio to display the information Pl tone, Nac, color code, tg, etc. I've read that the radio can do it, but I'm having a hard time finding out how?

6) Also, on the EZ-scan software if I delete conventional objects, I have to click each object. I feel weird asking this, but is there a way to highlight the objects so it speeds the process up?

7) Finally, last but not least, I'm having some more trouble getting the EZ-scan software to display all radio id's for conventional objects. I can edit each object individually via the radio, but even when I go to the software and select what I want for each line it still doesn't work. Could this possibly be taking place because these conventional objects were programmed before I edited via EZ-scan?

Quick edit, I see an auto power on feature. Is there an auto power off?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by a moderator:

JD21960

Premium Subscriber
Whistler 1088

#3. Press Menu and scroll using up/down arrows to find Program Menu, Go into that menu and look for GLOBAL SETTINGS: Scroll up from there and look for ADC GAIN and DAC GAIN. The controls to change the LOUDNESS factor is there. Default is 0 ADC and -5 DAC but with phase II blasts? I usually set mine at --1 and -9 or 8.

#6. In EZSCAN you can do batch edits by scoring the line you want gone, holding down SHIFT KEY and scoring the last line and delete. Just like with Excel spread sheets etc.

#3. Press Menu and scroll using up/down arrows to find Program Menu, Go into that menu and look for GLOBAL SETTINGS: Scroll up from there and look for ADC GAIN and DAC GAIN. The controls to change the LOUDNESS factor is there. Default is 0 ADC and -5 DAC but with phase II blasts? I usually set mine at --1 and -9 or 8.

#6. In EZSCAN you can do batch edits by scoring the line you want gone, holding down SHIFT KEY and scoring the last line and delete. Just like with Excel spread sheets etc.

Thanks, will the ADC and DAC controls change Phase II so its at the same noise level as Phase I transmissions?

troymail

Silent Key
Hi everyone,
I have a few questions about the Whistler WS1088. Please forgive me if these questions are commonly asked questions, as I have tried to find answers, and although I have found answers to some of my questions, I have not found answers to all of them.

1) When I store a trunked system or a conventional frequency in one scanlist, and then store some of the talkgroups or conventional frequencies on another scanlist, the talkgroups or frequencies from the first scanlist will not stay in the memory and will be deleted. This seems to be a feature to prevent copying the same data which could be very useful. However, sometimes I want to keep a few frequencies the same over a couple scanlists. Is there a way to disable this feature?
Not clear on what you are doing or asking here but you probably want to import (store?) a system and then, using EZ Scan, assign various sets of talkgroups to different scanlists. I typically do this where I'll import a system and then put fire in scanlist 1, police in scanlists 2, etc.
2) Is there a way to have the radio use the spectrum sweeper while actively scanning a scanlist?
No.
3) How do I turn down the audio on P25 phase II which is much louder than Phase I?
There is no option for that as far as I know.
4) For some reason the Spectrum Sweeper will not pick up my HT's transmissions on 70cm while it will on 2 meters. (It works on 70cm on another radio) I've turned Zeromatic off and then it picks it up but was wondering if there is a possible explanation or solution to this problem while keeping Zeromatic on?
Sorry, can't help on this. Maybe more information would help.
5) When recording, is there a way to get the radio to display the information Pl tone, Nac, color code, tg, etc. I've read that the radio can do it, but I'm having a hard time finding out how?
I believe on playback on the radio directly, the info displayed is limited. However, additional things like NAC etc. are usually captured in the recordings and can be seen when you play the recordings with the EZ Scan software
6) Also, on the EZ-scan software if I delete conventional objects, I have to click each object. I feel weird asking this, but is there a way to highlight the objects so it speeds the process up?
EZ Scan uses the standard Windows click then Shift-A or Ctrl-A, etc. to select groups of rows.
7) Finally, last but not least, I'm having some more trouble getting the EZ-scan software to display all radio id's for conventional objects. I can edit each object individually via the radio, but even when I go to the software and select what I want for each line it still doesn't work. Could this possibly be taking place because these conventional objects were programmed before I edited via EZ-scan?
Again - not sure what this is asking. It is possible that the radio "missed" the part of the transmission where the radio identifier was sent. None of the scanners are 100% in this area. For optimal results, you'd need to (at a minimum) HOLD on a channel or system/talkgroup.

Thanks, that's cleared up a lot for me! I'll try to give a clear example for question #1.

Let's say I currently have 2 scanlists I want to program. (Only an example)
One is for interops and another for PD dispatch. However, when don't want to listen to both scanlists at once I switch interops off. However, now I'm missing a channel I really want to listen to. So, I put it in the scanlist for PD dispatch just so I can hear it with my interops scanlist switched to off.

This is essentially what I'm attempting to do, however on a much larger scale. The problem is, whenever I attempt to put the same frequency in the second scanlist, it will delete the frequency from the first scanlist.

SCPD

QRT
You have it as an Object go to browse Objects and find the frequency you can set that frequency for multiple scanlists by ticking the box for each scanLIST. on radio .

or in ezscan under conventional frequencys its in the last row tick a box for each scanLIST you want it in.
Frequency,double click highlight it blue then it brings up a scanlist box selector .
Dont forget to hit SET at the bottom this is like Save.

No need to enter 1 frequency in multiple scanLISTS.

Last edited:

SCPD

QRT
3.) is in Global settings DAC gain set to -3 or -4 to control loudness of digital audio phase 1 and 2.

Then set audioboost on for the phase 1 audio frequencies thats are not loud enough.

A bit quirky but works for me.

troymail

Silent Key
Assuming your are talking about a conventional frequency/channel, just assign the single frequency object to both scanlists. Objects can be assigned to zero, one, or any number of scanlists at the same time.

Assuming your are talking about a conventional frequency/channel, just assign the single frequency object to both scanlists. Objects can be assigned to zero, one, or any number of scanlists at the same time.

Can I do the same for trunked?
For example, if I want to import the same talkgroups for different scanlists , but instead using one different site for each scanlist, is there a way to do that?

troymail

Silent Key
Can I do the same for trunked?
For example, if I want to import the same talkgroups for different scanlists , but instead using one different site for each scanlist, is there a way to do that?

There are limits to what you can do on import from the library. To do "fancy" programming like split sites over scanlists (using the system "Duplicate" button), etc., it needs to be done AFTER the import.

Keep in mind is that it's the channel/talkgroup objects that are assigned to scanlists - not the systems and their sites.

You can import groups of talkgroups for a given system on subsequent imports and assign each group to different scanlists (but I do not believe you can "split" import to multiple scanlists on a signal pass/import).

Whether conventional or trunked keep in mind that the channel/talkgroup objects are "set" to the scanlists you identify on import. That is - the object scanlist values are "set" on import (they are not "add" to existing). So, if you import something and then import again trying to put one or more objects into a second scanlist, you must assign all of the scanlists on that subsequent import as the scanlist assignment will be a complete overwrite of the existing values.

Hopefully that makes sense.

Last edited:
I can't find anything in the global settings but is there a way to change the default delay time when programming channels? Thanks!

OK, so I'm assuming there's no way to change the default. The only way to make the delay longer is to adjust it per object correct? I appreciate your help!

Cool! I didn't realize that before, but after a little bit of experimenting I figured it out. Many thanks for the help! It is unfortunate that there's no way to adjust the default, but I guess that's why the best strategy is to import and then adjust the settings via EZ Scan.

Status
Not open for further replies.