TRX-1: Anyone running an add on antenna?

Status
Not open for further replies.

cal50

......or better put using an aftermarket antenna that works better for all around reception?

Just got my TRX and will not have a chance to fire it up until this weekend and curious from actual users how good or bad the stock antenna really is.

W8RMH

Feed Provider Since 2012
The problem with the stock antennas is they are wideband, designed to cover the full frequency range of the scanner. If you just listen to say 700/800 MHz. an antenna for that frequency range will work a lot better, such as the Remtronix, who manufactured the antenna for RS by the way, mentioned in #2.

cal50

Thx guys and with having zero time using the unit just trying to gauge if the stock antenna is good or if most get replaced.

questnz

Totally agree with devicelab. Things like: best antenna, best indoor, best mobile, best dis cone, best coax, best software, best batteries, best chargers, DMR, SDR, how I reset Uniden xyz to defaults etc. SEARCH THE FORUM FIRST !, this stuff have been thrashed dozen of times over and over again, there is NOTHING to add what was already answered many times. And yes, will get different answers from different users experiences and perspectives. If anyone still have specific problem or additional info to ask for sure many here only glad to help after all this why we have a forum. C'mon help yourself first. There is also Mr Google always ready to help.
ps NO offense please this is NOT aimed at specific user rather how best utilize expert information already submitted on the forum or specific sub forums.

Last edited:

cal50

Its special a couple people feel the need to chime in NOT answering the question but take the time to reply off topic. Priorities, not just for your favorite channels........

I have searched and read most of the posts BTW but you likely already know that as well.

questnz

Amigo as I already said "ps NO offense please this is NOT aimed at specific user rather how best utilize expert information already submitted on the forum or specific sub forums".
If you already read stuff about your question "or better put using an aftermarket antenna that works better for all around reception?" you may find that for 700-800 MHz consensus is that Remtronics 800 will be the best, BUT for "all round" reception Diamond SRH771 is the most preferred antenna. There is also Watson WSMA 881 and shorter version WSMA 801 as a alternative. Good luck

cal50

I look for the common denominator in replies and the comments surrounding them.
That being said I jut ordered a Remtronix antenna for all around use.

Thanks to everyone that replied.
Enjoying my new TRX-1 and playing with the programming software....

AggieCon

Premium Subscriber
......or better put using an aftermarket antenna that works better for all around reception?

Just got my TRX and will not have a chance to fire it up until this weekend and curious from actual users how good or bad the stock antenna really is.

The stock is trash.

I like the ExpertPower over the Radio Shack, and it's a lot cheaper.

But, what antenna works best depends on your scanning goal.

Assuming you are listening to 800MHz trunked systems, you want an antenna tuned to that range. But if you have reception issues at home, a directional yagi could help. If you are listening to air band or VHF state police, you're going to want a longer antenna.

These are my picks: Digital Radio Product Recommendations

I didn't minds seeing your question on here, but the forum police could do without.

Ubbe

I looked at Remtronix home page. Which antenna have you ordered?

They say "Minimum +6dB Gain over standard antenna."
They have an antenna they say cover "2M/440MHz VHF/UHF Band"

That would be fantastic if they have managed to make an antenna that has 6dB more gain in the whole VHF/UHF range.

/Ubbe

AggieCon

Premium Subscriber
I wouldn't get carried away with expensive antennas with impressive advertising, unless it fits for a very specific scanning goal.

Be prudent with your equipment purchases or it can get out of control.

AggieCon

Premium Subscriber

I think, especially based on price, the ExpertPower 7.75" BNC Antenna is the way to go.

And, the solid black is nice for cosmetic purposes.

cal50

I looked at Remtronix home page. Which antenna have you ordered?

They say "Minimum +6dB Gain over standard antenna."
They have an antenna they say cover "2M/440MHz VHF/UHF Band"

That would be fantastic if they have managed to make an antenna that has 6dB more gain in the whole VHF/UHF range.

/Ubbe

I am trying one of these...

REMTRONIX 800 MHz Portable BNC Antenna | Scanner Master

AggieCon

Premium Subscriber
Of course, Greg, you can lead a horse to water all day, but folks are going to do what they want.

If you spend more money on something, it just has to work better.

Status
Not open for further replies.