EZ Scan software under Linux

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aspidistra

Hi,

I'm trying to use EZ Scan version 3.7 on Ubuntu 17.04 Desktop.

I have been able to install the software with wine.

I'm able to run the software with this command :

wine ~/.wine/drive_c/Ham/Whistler/TRX-1/TRX-1.exe

But the software can't communicate with the TRX-1.

This is the message I get from the software :

"No Scanner Found - Your scanner was not detected. Please check to ensure that the USB Cable is connected to your computer and your scanner and try again"

This is the message I get from the Terminal:

"fixme:mountmgr:harddisk_ioctl Unsupported ioctl 2d1400 (device=2d access=0 func=500 method=0)"

Any ideas to fix this ?

Missing driver ?

Thank you

JD21960

Premium Subscriber
EZScan using linux

---------

Last edited by a moderator:

JD21960

Premium Subscriber
EZScan using linux

Forget it. All these Scanner programs are designed for Windows only. As someone who has used Linux since 2008? I gave up and just did the dual boot thing. I only use Windows for Scanner stuff and Unication. Things just work better that way. These WINE and Virtual Box things running Windows IN Linux are too slow and hinky. You're better off just dual booting and using Linux 99% of the time and Windows for EZSCAN.

Last edited by a moderator:

g6fgy

Premium Subscriber
I agree, it's not possible unfortunately.. The scanner basically uses what is known as a Winmodem for data transfer. The hardware chip provides the basic electrical interface, whilst Windows specific software does the rest and is not accessible outside the Windows environment.

For basic interface with Windows only applications I run W10 in VMWare virtual system on a Linux Mint machine, which I find to be perfectly adequate for this task as no heavy data processing is required. If anything more heavyweight is needed than I can dual-boot into W10 if required.

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
Hi,

I'm trying to use EZ Scan version 3.7 on Ubuntu 17.04 Desktop.

I have been able to install the software with wine.

I'm able to run the software with this command :

wine ~/.wine/drive_c/Ham/Whistler/TRX-1/TRX-1.exe

But the software can't communicate with the TRX-1.

This is the message I get from the software :

"No Scanner Found - Your scanner was not detected. Please check to ensure that the USB Cable is connected to your computer and your scanner and try again"

This is the message I get from the Terminal:

"fixme:mountmgr:harddisk_ioctl Unsupported ioctl 2d1400 (device=2d access=0 func=500 method=0)"

Any ideas to fix this ?

Missing driver ?

Thank you

Yes, the required driver is missing. Although the scanner appears to be using a USB interface, due to having a USB port and a standard USB cable. But the scanner is still using an RS232 serial port internally. There is internal circuity in the scanner that converts the USB-RS232 protocol. That's why the newer scanners just use a standard USB cable. Earlier generation scanners had a special USB cable, with the small in-line module that contained the USB-RS232 conversion circuity.

The newer Whistler and Uniden scanners are both doing this.

Someone just needs to write a driver for the internal adapter and it would probably work just fine.

Below are some examples of GRE and Radio Shack USB-RS232 adapter cables.

Attachments

• 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    13.2 KB · Views: 292
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    14.9 KB · Views: 314
  • 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    23.5 KB · Views: 290

jaspence

Premium Subscriber
Linux USB problems

I have heard that putting the SD card in a USB adapter is a possible solution. It is also much faster than using a cable to the radio, although not as convenient.

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
I use EZ-Scan under Win 7 in VirtualBox, works perfectly fine.

Yes that makes sense, as Oracle does support the required driver(s) for USB-RS232 Serial Adapters.

[source] http://docs.oracle.com/cd/E19253-01/817-5093/fpkbw/index.html

ORACLE
System Administration Guide: Devices and File Systems

• USB serial driver support
    • Digi Edgeport USB support – The Edgeport USB driver only works with Edgeport devices and not with other USB serial devices.
      • New devices are accessed as /dev/term/[0-9]* and /dev/cua/[0-9]*.
      • USB serial ports are usable as any other serial port would be, except that they cannot serve as a local serial console. The fact that their data is run through a USB port is transparent to the user.
      For more information, see usbser_edge(7D), or go to the following sites:
    • Keyspan – The Keyspan USB serial driver only works with Keyspan devices, which currently supports the USA-19HS and USA-49WLC models.
      For more information, see usbsksp(7D).
    • Prolific – The Prolific USB serial driver only works with devices based on the PL2303 chipset.
      For more information, see usbsprl(7D).
    For more information about the USB to serial devices support, go to the following site:
    http://www.sun.com/io_technologies/usb/USB-Faq.html

Status
Not open for further replies.