Whistler TRX-1 or Unication G4

Status
Not open for further replies.

boatanchors

I am getting ready to buy a new scanner and have been looking at the Whistler TRX-1. I only listen to the Ohio Marcs here in Adams Co Ohio but thought it would be nice to be able to listen to some of the DMR repeaters on 2m/70cm.. But i have read a few things about the TRX-1 that make me wonder if I should'nt just forget about the DMR listening and go ahead and Get the Unication G4 and jsut stick with listening to the p25 stuff and if I want to listen to DMR i can always get a cheap Hytera something along that lines for DMR listening.. Any and all Thought's would get greatly appreciated before i put out $500 for a TRX-1.. Thanks

jaspence

Premium Subscriber
Which to get

First of all, there is no such thing as a cheap Hytera. My 2 Whistler radios (updated GRE and RS models) do a very good job on DMR and cover a lot more services than the G4 or even the two band G5. If you decide to get a cheap DMR radio, look at the dual band GD-77 for around $98.00.

jaspence

Premium Subscriber
Both of mine were made by GRE, one under their label and the other for RS. Whistler bought the rights to build them when the GRE plant was closed by the Chinese Government. After they got production going, Whistler offered an upgrade for $59.99 than included DMR reception. Many of us who thought we would have to spend big bucks for a new radio were very pleased with the results. While I also have Uniden radios, I give Whistler credit for a good decision to support the previous products. Uniden charges for their upgrade to DMR, whjile Whistler made it available to TRX-1 owners free.

boatanchors

Well My Question is, I can wait on the DMR, I am more interested in the Ohio Marcs p25 and am looking for a good scanner... I own the Uniden BCD996xt and it works fine.. But i am wanting a Handheld scanner that is a good choice and works well with the p25

troymail

Silent Key
For all around reception, you want a scanner.

If you primary monitoring is a simulcast P25 Phase 1 (only right now) system, you'll probably be happier with a Unication.... but keep in mind (again) this is only for simulcast systems.... and comes with severe limitations.

boatanchors

Thanks Troy for your input.. Im wondering now if i should'nt just get a cheaper scanner that handles Phase 1 p25.. The sites I use are the Adams,Co / Brown,Co / Clermont Co & Highland Co Marcs p25.. I can do with out the DMR.. So anyone have a recommendation on anything else besides the TRX-1 that is a good performer??

devicelab

Whacker Extraordinaire
Do not get the Unication. It's a waste of $$$. I had the G5 and the software was super buggy -- with no future updates released in months. Yes it had good audio decode but you can always buy a Motorola XTS 2500/5000 for half the price of the Unication. That being said a scanner is the way to go. Hard to beat the TRX-1 right now. If you don't need DMR then the 396XT is a great compact-size scanner (but only Phase 1.)

K9DAK

Premium Subscriber
All the TRX-1 gets you is NXDN and a reportedly "tighter" front end compared to the RS PRO-668 (updated by Whistler) and the WS-1080/1088 (all do DMR and Phase 2). If all you truly need is Phase 1 (no DMR), then you might consider a RS PRO-106 or the Whistler equivalent WS-1040... you'll save some $$.

Just my $0.02... hope it helps.

Swipesy

Here is my Northern Ohio 2 cents worth. Location, location, location is an important factor. At my home location I run a XTS 2500, Unmodified PSR800 and PSR500 side by side. On rare occasions I get some LSM but seldom. The voice quality of the 500 and 800 is only slightly off that of the XTS. Therefore, the scanner is far better because of their LCD display and their flexibility over the XTS. Now if you are in a LSM location a Unication will sound better than a TRX or GRE but you will pay, ultimately far above the scanner in price..

scruggsy

Premium Subscriber
I am getting ready to buy a new scanner and have been looking at the Whistler TRX-1. I only listen to the Ohio Marcs here in Adams Co Ohio but thought it would be nice to be able to listen to some of the DMR repeaters on 2m/70cm.. But i have read a few things about the TRX-1 that make me wonder if I should'nt just forget about the DMR listening and go ahead and Get the Unication G4 and jsut stick with listening to the p25 stuff and if I want to listen to DMR i can always get a cheap Hytera something along that lines for DMR listening.. Any and all Thought's would get greatly appreciated before i put out $500 for a TRX-1.. Thanks
Amazon $460.00 and prime 2 day shipping 0 tax!
That is all.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

boatanchors

Well I dont worry about location, I have a Ohio Marcs 100 foot tall site only 1 mile from my back yard and it's crystal clear to say the least on the 996xt which i even have the Attenuator turned on.. Just got lucky on the site being only 1 mile away

Swipesy

Well I dont worry about location, I have a Ohio Marcs 100 foot tall site only 1 mile from my back yard and it's crystal clear to say the least on the 996xt which i even have the Attenuator turned on.. Just got lucky on the site being only 1 mile away

Location is far more complicated than your statement. There are two major factors -
1. Closeness to a tower. With Whistler/GRE/RS radios and their sensitive front end these radios can be rendered deaf with overload.

2. LSM. If your scanner happens to be within hearing distance of more than one MARCS tower (assuming you have programmed more than one tower) then you most likely will be subject to LSM distortion. No radio adjustment help that. This is where a Unication would outperform our scanners since it deals with simulcast much better than our scanners.

Since you have a clear reception at your location then I would stick with a scanner and not go the Unication route.

boatanchors

Hey Swipesy
Well I do use the Attenuator on my 996xt for the Winchester Site which is the site that's only a mile for my house which is a 100 watt transmitter.. The BCD996xt does a great job handling that transmitter so close and doesn't overload the frontend on it.. Thanks for taking the time for your advice and input I greatly appreciate it from everyone... Thanks

Soundman

My BCD536HP, BCD436HP has the best and the reception work great with the 800 RS band antenna. Also you can program your BCD536HP, BCD436HP from a data base online .Not like a 996xt 396xt also.

Status
Not open for further replies.