Strange issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

RClary11

I have a Grecom PSR-500 scanner, which is the same as a Whistler WS-1040, and suddenly I get a low power battery warning, even though the scanner is plugged in. I thought it might be a power supply issue, but I did get a new power supply and it still has the same problem.

lou9155

I have a Grecom PSR-500 scanner, which is the same as a Whistler WS-1040, and suddenly I get a low power battery warning, even though the scanner is plugged in. I thought it might be a power supply issue, but I did get a new power supply and it still has the same problem.

my pro651 > psr500 always shows a low battery icon when powered via 9vdc in car or at home via 120v adapter...i thinks its normal

RClary11

What it does exactly, it gives a warning tone that is has a low battery charge and that I need to change the batteries. Then it turns off. All this while it's plugged in.

budevans

Here are two things to check.

1. Is the AC adapter 9V and 500 mA. Note newer versions use a 300 mA power supply. The original version requires a 500 mA.

2. Remove the battery pack, then plug in the AC adapter and power up. If this works, then you may have a battery or the battery pack issue.

Question? Does it work OK when running on just batteries?

RClary11

Here are two things to check.

1. Is the AC adapter 9V and 500 mA. Note newer versions use a 300 mA power supply. The original version requires a 500 mA.

2. Remove the battery pack, then plug in the AC adapter and power up. If this works, then you may have a battery or the battery pack issue.

Question? Does it work OK when running on just batteries?

I just tried it on batteries, and I heard some sound coming from the speakers, but nothing on the display. There was no battery pack in the scanner while it was plugged in. The AC Adapter doesn't say if it's 500 mA. As for the batteries I put in, they were laying around in a pack for a while,so they might have been too old to power the scanner. I'd have to get some new ones to see if the scanner works okay on batteries.

RClary11

It seems to work a little while when it's plugged in, but then I get a warning tone, and the screen says that I have low voltage, and need to recharge or replace batteries. Very odd.

DJ11DLN

Do you have a multitester? Check the voltage from the power supply. If it's less than 9V it may have malfunctioned. If it was working before it should be fine on rated amperage but these things do sometimes go haywire. If you don't have one, maybe you can borrow one from someone...or places like Harbor Freight sell them for a few bucks. Or you can just replace the power supply with a new one capable of 9V/500 mA. I use one from Menard's on my Pro-651 (same scanner), works great, cost less than $10. Just make sure you have the tip polarity correct (+) and the voltage set right if it's a variable one. A piece of electrical tape over the sliding switch for this will insure it doesn't get bumped up or down.

Let us know what you found or did, and about how the new or known-good batteries performed.

RClary11

I tried some fresh batteries in the scanner, and I am still getting a low voltage indicator and that I need to replace the batteries. Not sure what I can do now. I think the scanner is shot.

Wackyracer

Premium Subscriber
I tried some fresh batteries in the scanner, and I am still getting a low voltage indicator and that I need to replace the batteries. Not sure what I can do now. I think the scanner is shot.

Call G&G communications in Leroy NY.They repair scanners.

budevans

I'm in Ontario Canada, so that would be a bit out of the way for me.

If you can find someone qualified to do the repair locally, that would be good. Otherwise, you should consider at least contacting G&G and also Whistler to get a repair estimate.

Bottom line, repair at G&G or Whistler including shipping costs, would most likely be cheaper than buying a new scanner.

KB7MIB

If you can, go into the menu system and make sure the battery settings are where they're supposed to be.
It's an outside chance that something there got changed, and that's what is causing your issues, but it's worth a shot.

John
Peoria, AZ

RClary11

If you can, go into the menu system and make sure the battery settings are where they're supposed to be.
It's an outside chance that something there got changed, and that's what is causing your issues, but it's worth a shot.

John
Peoria, AZ

How do I get to the battery settings? I got to where you can change the battery type, but not sure where I can see if the battery voltages are right.

Status
Not open for further replies.