TRX-2: NO NXDN Audio

Status
Not open for further replies.

anelson5004

I am trying to monitor frequency 155.535 NXDN, which is Bluefield VA PD but I am receiving an S with full signal bars but no audio behind it. Their are times at night and at night only that they transmit, and it is a 24/7 department. All my global settings and NXDN settings are set to default. I have the frequency programmed as Conventional, and I am connected by an outdoor antenna pointing directly at Bluefield VA I contacted Whistler and they are trying to tell me that I am too far away to reach the signal. I have even sent them files and I am getting the same result. I have completed all updates for my TRX2 and they are current. Any help that you can provide will be greatly appreciated. All other audio is working perfectly.

anelson5004

W2GLD

Premium Subscriber
I'll be watching this, I updated both my TRX-1 and TRX-2 last night and am having no issues decoding conventional NXDN 6.25 kHz radio traffic; I even have an ICOM IC-FR3161 railroad firmware radio here and it's decoding without issues, searches for the RAN, Radio ID, and Talkgroup with no issues; perhaps try reloading the firmware and your configuration.

Wackyracer

Premium Subscriber
Because you say you have full bars on the meter, Try turning on the attenuator in the conventional frequency list, try the ATT button in both G and GA mode.

Also Make sure in the conventional frequency list, dmode is set to digital and mode is set to NXDN for that frequency.

troymail

Silent Key
Bluefield stuck out in my mind -- this has been going on for quite some time now, eh? I remembered that threads you started previously....

Anyway -- it's pretty odd that Bluefield is showing NXDN for their dispatch frequency and normal FM for their TAC channel....

Aside from that, the FCC license is pretty weird too.... Like lots of other licenses I've looked at, they have a bunch of different emission types authorized on 155.53500 and on 155.67 as well.

A couple of the emission types suggest different forms of NXDN while others listed look like P25 and analog of multiple types. Also - the emission types include not only voice but data as well.... could it be there is no voice?

Curious who submitted this a NXDN to the RRDB and if anyone else can confirm they can receive the frequency in question (in any form/emission type). I wonder if the DB admin(s) could help answer that question.

Couple of questions/things to try:

- have you tried to program the frequency as analog?
- did you try P25?
- your account says you are in Cedar Bluff which is 35 miles from Bluefield -- have you tried going to/towards Bluefield to receive the signal?

Can you capture a recording (in analog mode) of the signal and post it?

anelson5004

I have tried programming the frequency as analog, used P25, and I am unable to capture a recording in analog mode on my TRX2 so far. However, I can get the "noise" on my RadioShack pro 197 but it doesn't have the option for me to record it. I also tried what W2GLD said, and so far that has not worked for me.

anelson5004

Attached is what I just received for 1 second on frequency 155.535. Any help you can provide will be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• BVPD.zip
    4.8 KB · Views: 40

Wackyracer

Premium Subscriber
Your on cpu firmware 4.7 that came out this week?

Have you changed from NXDN c to d or vice versa? Do you have the correct RAN? Have you changed the dwell time?

If you drive closer can you pick it up? if yes then....

Have you checked your coax and connectors? if yes then......

Put up a High gain, directional Yagi style antenna.

Last edited:

troymail

Silent Key
Yes I am really 35 miles from Bluefield VA trying to receive this. I had this department back in June 2017 and now I don't. Please help!!!!

Hmmm.... I am now with Whistler on this one.... 35 miles from a small town police department. You're really asking for alot. You might receive the signal when atmospherics support it from time to time but I wouldn't expect you to receive it most of the time. There is also the possibility that even if you were receiving it in June (as NXDN), changes could have been made which negatively impact it. It's likely not designed to be heard that far away (why should it?). If there is an exercise in futility, this would be an example.

troymail

Silent Key
The ~1 second recording posted last night does seem to be a tiny hit of NXDN but given all factors, it certainly seems to me that he is just too far from the transmitter to consistently receive a signal intended for a small town that is 35 miles away.

Another clue is that he said he was hearing nothing during the day but it seemed to come alive at night -- to me says atmospherics - which tend to be better at night - is probably the only reason he was receiving it at all. However, we know that these types of things change as do the seasons...

Trust me - I've been there trying to make something like this work... particularly when a system/frequency switches from analog (which historically "blasts" a signal for miles and miles). Newer systems and transmitters are much more "confined". it will drive you absolutely crazy...

Last edited:

anelson5004

Wackyracer: I am on cpu 4.7, I have the frequency programmed as conventional NXDN, I do not drive, and all connections have been checked and are tight.

anelson5004

BVPD Analog mode

Someone on here asked me to post an audio sample in analog mode so here it is. Hope this helps and someone is able to help me solve my problem.

Attachments

• BVPD Analog.zip
    67.7 KB · Views: 21

Experiment626

I can confirm that Bluefield PD is indeed using NXDN 6.25. BUT, the audio file you posted here indicates that your scanner just isn't receiving a strong enough signal to decode voice traffic. I would try using a directional antenna to see if that fixes things.

Last edited:

anelson5004

I am connected by an outdoor directional antenna and it is pointing directly at Bluefield PD. I am receiving WV SIRN with no problem and I know they are using P25 Phase 1.

Experiment626

Gotcha, maybe you could try rotating the antenna in small increments to see if that helps? I know for a fact that these ridges and mountains around here can reflect signals and do funky things to VHF and UHF propagation.

Wackyracer

Premium Subscriber
Try programming it under Trunking tab, set NXDN mode to auto in the trunking setting.

Status
Not open for further replies.