WS1065: SQ WAIT 1 and 2 during deep propogation fades

Status
Not open for further replies.

nanZor

Noticed that I was missing traffic lately - and the squelch is set properly.

I had blindly applied Mark's recommendation to drop SQ WAIT 1 to 7 or 5 for a little speedup in the Easier To Read manual. That worked for awhile.

Sure enough, his warning about possibly missing calls with too fast of a setting came true for me so I dropped back to the defaults of

SQ WAIT 1: 10
SQ WAIT 2: 15

This worked, although I eventually set SQ WAIT 1 to 12 for a little slower scan for now.

Why? In *my environment*, during the day I am suffering from deep/fast fades on conventional channels. Seems that during scan, with anything other than the factory defaults (and with my programming consisting of a dis-orderly random collection of input), anything less than 10 caused traffic to be missed during scan despite having the squelch just barely above the noise floor.

Conjecture: with my 1065 attached to an outdoor triband amateur antenna for general scanning I had to apply attenuation to some of my uhf+ channels. This may or may not have contributed to the deep-fade issue requiring me to drop back to factory defaults. Again, just a guess.

My recommendation may be if you *dont know* if you are missing weak-signal comms (especially if they rapidly fading during scan from either propagation or mobile flutter), then perhaps sacrifice some scan speed and raise your SQ WAIT times just a little and test.

Status
Not open for further replies.