WS 1065 static just being on

Status
Not open for further replies.

rdenhardt

Recently bought a 1065 to listen to my local FD and Police as I am a volunteer fire fighter. I mounted it in my center console and programmed in the channels and the radio is working well. The only issue that im having is that there is a constant static noise being given off. It does this even if its not scanning and does it either through the units speaker or the cobra speaker I have it hooked up to. It is very annoying to say the least. When a transmission comes through the static stops and it is crystal clear. Any ideas? I have inputed the correct NAC codes and they are P25, I just cant figure out why this static noise is occurring. Ive cleared out every channel to see if that was making the noise and it is not. It also doesnt matter if its in my vehicles or sitting on my table in the house, the noise is always there. Im at a loss of what to do next.

Another thing to add is a friend has an identical unit(which is why I bought this one) and his is silent compared to mine.

Ed6698

Yes and it had no impact on it

Also to add I tried using headphones and the noise is present in those as well

Try using the programming from the other unit the friend has or Clone it, that will make the programming exactly the same. If it still does the static noise it might be a defective unit and needs to be exchanged.

looks like a friend just got his WS1065 guess who has to program it ME lol now i find i use to have the software for it now will cost me $30 to have it i had KEY numbers now don;t work

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
Recently bought a 1065 to listen to my local FD and Police as I am a volunteer fire fighter. I mounted it in my center console and programmed in the channels and the radio is working well. The only issue that im having is that there is a constant static noise being given off. It does this even if its not scanning and does it either through the units speaker or the cobra speaker I have it hooked up to. It is very annoying to say the least. When a transmission comes through the static stops and it is crystal clear. Any ideas? I have inputed the correct NAC codes and they are P25, I just cant figure out why this static noise is occurring. Ive cleared out every channel to see if that was making the noise and it is not. It also doesnt matter if its in my vehicles or sitting on my table in the house, the noise is always there. Im at a loss of what to do next.

Another thing to add is a friend has an identical unit(which is why I bought this one) and his is silent compared to mine.

Have you tried increasing the squelch setting?

Yes and it had no impact on it

Also to add I tried using headphones and the noise is present in those as well
That's exactly the same behavior that one of my PSR-500's exhibits. Constant static (like squelch is set to zero), yet the scanner is actively scanning and when it lands on an active channel, it is received normally and clearly. I've taken it apart a couple of times to make sure that all cables, connectors, items in a socket are in place & fully seated, but that made no difference at all. I have not sent it in for a possible repair (likely to G&G), because, frankly, I don't need another Phase I capable scanner at this time. A number of the systems in my area either have, or will be, converted to Phase II. For now, it's it's relegated to the surplus file.

rdenhardt

Try using the programming from the other unit the friend has or Clone it, that will make the programming exactly the same. If it still does the static noise it might be a defective unit and needs to be exchanged.
I just did as you suggested and still static. I am heading over to set up another friends radio who purchased the same exact one and will see if his has the static. Im hoping its not a defective unit but I will be calling Whistler tomorrow to pick their brain

nanZor

Did you try a factory reset?

I've had to do this with other gear that got the brains scrambled during shipping from static. Also just from pulling it hastily out of protective plastic bags too.

Ed6698

I just did as you suggested and still static. I am heading over to set up another friends radio who purchased the same exact one and will see if his has the static. Im hoping its not a defective unit but I will be calling Whistler tomorrow to pick their brain

Did you come to any solution to the static issue? Someone else has posted about the same problem and needs a solution.

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
Did you find out the problem with the static? I am having the same problem & ready to send it back to the seller from E Bay.
I can't speak for the OP. However, as I noted previously, I was never able to remedy the static issue on my PSR-500. Besides disassembling the scanner to check components, cables, and connections, I had also tried the 'factory reset'. Nothing made a difference. O am no longer using that scanner. It's only usage for me would be if I needed a part from it for my other PSR-500. Other than that, its just gathering dust.

cherubim

Premium Subscriber
All GRE/Whistler scanners have poor front-end selectivity which manifests itself as desense, intermod and noise.

It's the primary reason I will never buy one of their scanners.

Status
Not open for further replies.