WS 1095

Status
Not open for further replies.

Diane77

Thinking of purchasing a new WS 1095. They mention something about an SD card. Does it normally come with one? If not, how easy are they to find? What is the purpose of it? Is this scanner fairly easy to use?

troymail

Silent Key
Thinking of purchasing a new WS 1095. They mention something about an SD card. Does it normally come with one?
Yes
If not, how easy are they to find?
Very easy.
What is the purpose of it?
Modern scanners carry both the full RRDB library and your specific programming on the SD card. More advanced/new scanners also record received signals to the SD card (if desired). These scanners also at least partially boot up and/or "run" using the SD card. These cards are a cheap way to allow you the user to have many, many, many different configurations loaded on your radio for easy access (i.e. when you move from location to location, etc.) without the need to continually reprogram the radio.
Is this scanner fairly easy to use?
All scanners can be "difficult" when you first get them (both using them via the keypads and menus as well as the programming software) but get easier the more you use it and learn from experimenting. Over the years, I found myself wanting to smash a brand new scanner against the wall but that was mostly with early Uniden digital scanners like the BCD296D and even to some degree my early days of the PSR-500.

There are TWO big keys to making things easier (beyond just patience at first):

- learning to operate the radio via the keypad
- having good programming software (FWIW - there are things I both like and hate about ANY software - Uniden, Whistler - and even non-scanner software)

I find that I can do most everything I need with Whistler's EZ Scan software and Uniden's Sentinel software. But keep in mind, it takes time to learn these programs - and you'll always learn more as you go (months and sometimes even years later). These programs are being improved over time with bug fixes and new features (Whistler adds fixes and new features several times a year, but not so much with Uniden - they'd rather you spend more money on third party programming software - which I do not buy or use).

Understanding some aspects of modern public safety (trunk) radio systems is a big plus as well.

And finally - learn to program and reprogram the radio for yourself. Some folks pay to have their radio programmed and it only serves to frustrate them later (unless they plan to constantly go back and pay to have the programming updated or fixed).

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.