TRX-2: Nxdn help with rail frequency

Status
Not open for further replies.

johnk9deputy

Premium Subscriber
I hope that someone can help me with this problem, i have the trx 2 and where i live in fla i am close to the rail yard in auburndale, i know that csx and fla eastcoast runs on nxdn freq. But when i let the unit auto program the freq
i do not get any trans on the radio.

So how do i load them into the sofeware or get the scanner to take the info
from rr page to the scanner. I have done all the updates since i have had the radio.
It picks up p25 great no problem there and dmr fair.

Any help would be great if someone could email me or private message me to help
me out. Whistler has said there is no problem with the radio.
I hate to ask but i am at the end of my rope with this unit.

jbroome211@gmail.com
thank you
john

johnk9deputy

Premium Subscriber
RAIL FREQ

what is meant by "i know that csx and fla eastcoast runs on nxdn freq" and "i let the unit auto program the freq"?

what is meant by that statement is someone on you tube was playing a video
with train freq on nxdn freq, since i live close by the auburndale yard i ran into
a worker and asked if csx was on a new system and he said that they were. As well as amtrax. There was a site that someone off of this web page built to show
nxdn freq. And it shows a full page of train freq on nxdn.

And the other was meant by i let the radio program its self through the zip code
and then i program it off the software and it does not load the freq or talk groups it shows the freq in the radio but thats all.

troymail

Silent Key
Alrighty....

For what it's worth, in the Whistler EZ Scan software, I did a Zip Code import for 33823.

From that zip code import, I do see some NXDN conventional channels from the import, none are railroad related.

I also see some CSX conventional channels but they are analog channels (I honestly haven't yet figured out where these channels are coming from on the RR database but I'll keep looking). EDIT: Doh! They're from the Florida Railroads link provided above (https://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/?aid=9242)....

On the Polk County RR database page, I see a few more what appears to be CSX frequencies listed under "Mosaic Agrock Train Yard" but the type on these records is "Business" vs. "Railroad"...

So....

Interestingly, in the Railroad section under the Nationwide Frequencies page there is a list of "standard" NXDN channels. However, these do not appear to get picked up on Zip Code (or any location based) imports.

I don't know if there are really any NXDN railroad frequencies active in your area. I've found some in various areas but most railroad activity still seems to be analog.

However, if you want to try and load the standard railroad NXDN frequencies, you can try a "Preferred" import in EZ Scan like this:

Preferred -> (Nationwide) -> Agencies -> Railroads -> Railroad Operations -> AAR 307-487

If none of this helps, you might want to try a limit search of 160-162 with NXDN checked and see if it finds anything.

Final note: I'm working off the latest EZ Scan library - 548.

Last edited:

johnk9deputy

Premium Subscriber
ok I tried the search of the 160-162 to see what happens. the ez scan is this the software off of whistler web site or are you talking about something else.

ai8o

Brachiating Tetrapod
[QUOTE=johnk9deputy;2841893
with train freq on nxdn freq.

What do you mean by a nxdn frequency?
The AAR future plan currently puts nxdn on channels numbered 207 up.

(((((since i live close by the auburndale yard i ran into
a worker and asked if csx was on a new system and he said that they were. )))))

What does the worker you talked to mean by "the new system"?
Does he to know the difference between nxdn and narrow banding?

He may have just been given a new radio that was narrowband compliant with nxdn capability built in.
If he is using channel 007 to 097, or 107 to 197, he is using analog narrow band,not nxdn.

(((((As well as amtrax.)))
Amtrak usually uses the road frequency of whatever RR division they are operating on.
I haven't come across any RRs using nxdn as its road or dispatch frequency.
The road frequencies are all are narrowband now, not NXDN.

((((((There was a site that someone off of this web page built to show
nxdn freq.
And it shows a full page of train freq on nxdn.))))))

Yes there are several webpages that show the AAR future frequency plan including a webpage right here on Radio Reference.
Just because AAR has a plan for the future does not mean it has been implemented completely and immediately.

The AAR future growth plan is just that a plan.
Narrowbanding took ten plus years from conception to full implementation.
NXDN is even more challenging and could take even longer to implement.

Railroads do not just suddenly throw out an installed base of tens of thousands of radios.
As older ones wear out new radios compliant with the growth plan are issued. This takes lots of time, money, and planning.

What I think you will find is that small easily defined work groups , say car inspectors in a yard or hostlers in a certain yard or division will be switched over piecemeal, bit by bit, until a certain threshold is reached, then a whole division or RR will be switched over.
An example of this is how the NS did this.

troymail

Silent Key
Check out www.digitalfrequencysearch.com use the quick import feature.

No need - there is nothing listed there for railroads that isn't already in the Nationwide Railroad listings (mentioned above) that are already in the RRDB database/Whistler library (yes, I checked).

If (a) the user is close enough, (b) a limit search doesn't find anything and (c) the nationwide railroad listings don't result in hearing some rail-related NXDN, then there probably isn't any at that location.

Last edited:

RRR

Premium Subscriber
You aren't at the right place at the right time. NXDN is out there on class 1's, and not just the police, and not just in the yards.

Status
Not open for further replies.