TRX-1New Owner

Status
Not open for further replies.

rcillig

Ok have had this for 3 days now and cant get it to scan anything unless I do an everything and that isn't what I want. Oh damn wait, Sorry Hi, everyone Im Rob from the Midwest Omaha Ne.. just bought me a trx-1 for Christmas and i'm upgrading from a Pro 106 that I love but parts of my area has gone full 25 part II and Im sick of the encoded stuff I cant hear. =)

ok back to the TRX, I tired programming through the scanner and can get a semi setup but only if I include everything or a wildcard and I dont want to hear buses and trash trucks and junk. Ok tried the Whistler software but the only videos I cant find had a dif version that the one now so can fallow step by step and cant get it to work. I dunno... maybe I just need a few days away. Pretty confused right now.

Even if I enter just one thing say Omaha Police, I still get nothing or miss a ton when I got the pro 106 sitting right next to in non stop and the trx spits out something every 3 mins or so.

Iv read a ton of post on the site and honestly I got my self more confused trying to learn stuff before I know the basics.

So let me start I read a few times the preferred or easier way it to program via the software so ill start there. Is there a guide somewhere I haven't found ?

Thanks in advance for hearing me out and any help you might provide for this frustrated guy.

rcillig

omg.... I find this scanner very hard to read how can I get the light to stay on I think it turning off ever 2 secs is half my issue.... i'm sry i know i need to walk away but i so want to play with it... grown man with a new toy =(

I seen the setting but just can find it again and forgot the booklet in the car and its not here right now.

brian943

Whistler user guides

omg.... I find this scanner very hard to read how can I get the light to stay on I think it turning off ever 2 secs is half my issue.... i'm sry i know i need to walk away but i so want to play with it... grown man with a new toy =(

I seen the setting but just can find it again and forgot the booklet in the car and its not here right now.

https://whistlergroup.com/pages/scanner-user-guides

LEH

Premium Subscriber
Ok have had this for 3 days now and cant get it to scan anything unless I do an everything and that isn't what I want. Oh damn wait, Sorry Hi, everyone Im Rob from the Midwest Omaha Ne.. just bought me a trx-1 for Christmas and i'm upgrading from a Pro 106 that I love but parts of my area has gone full 25 part II and Im sick of the encoded stuff I cant hear. =)

ok back to the TRX, I tired programming through the scanner and can get a semi setup but only if I include everything or a wildcard and I dont want to hear buses and trash trucks and junk. Ok tried the Whistler software but the only videos I cant find had a dif version that the one now so can fallow step by step and cant get it to work. I dunno... maybe I just need a few days away. Pretty confused right now.

Even if I enter just one thing say Omaha Police, I still get nothing or miss a ton when I got the pro 106 sitting right next to in non stop and the trx spits out something every 3 mins or so.

Iv read a ton of post on the site and honestly I got my self more confused trying to learn stuff before I know the basics.

So let me start I read a few times the preferred or easier way it to program via the software so ill start there. Is there a guide somewhere I haven't found ?

Thanks in advance for hearing me out and any help you might provide for this frustrated guy.

The TRX-1 is a bit tricky to program the first few times. When you import a system from the DB, it brings everything to a default channel. In the Whistler software, you go to that default and pick the talk groups you want and save them to a new 'channel' (you can remove them from the default channel at that time as well).

You should also turn off the scanning of the 'default' channel and all the 'types'. Scan only those systems you want to hear and not everything the TRX-1 has copied from the DB during the import(s).

There are times I think the TRX-1 isn't as receptive as other scanners I've had, but I think once you get past it scanning through the everything in the 'default' system and the 'type' (e.g., law dispatch or fire tac) it is a decent scanner. Especially for DMR or NXDN.

budevans

Ok have had this for 3 days now and cant get it to scan anything unless I do an everything and that isn't what I want.

just bought me a trx-1 for Christmas and i'm upgrading from a Pro 106 that I love but parts of my area has gone full 25 part II and Im sick of the encoded stuff I cant hear. =)

rcillig,

Here's something you might try. You can import the settings from your Pro 106 into the TRX-1 EzScan program. Then you can download it to your TRX-1. That will give you a working example of how things are setup.

1. Open the TRX-1 EzScan program
2. Connect your Pro 106, you should have a USB cable that came with the Pro 106.
3. From the EzScan program, you should be on the first tab "General Settings"
4. Click on: File. A drop down should open with options.
5. Click on: Import from WS-1040/WS-1065 "the Pro 106 uses the same settings as the WS-1040/WS-1065".
6. Last but not least, you can now connect your TRX-1.
7. Click on "Scanner/SD Card" tab.
8. Select "Copy Configuration To Scanner Memory/SD Card".

Everything that you had programmed into your Pro-106 will now be in your TRX-1.

One last item. Be careful with the Squelch setting for P25 systems. If you set the squelch too high the screen will show reception, but you won't hear any audio. Try a squelch setting at the 9 O'clock position.

I hope this helps.

Last edited:

rcillig

Ok guys still not having any luck with this

rcillig,

Here's something you might try. You can import the settings from your Pro 106 into the TRX-1 EzScan program. Then you can download it to your TRX-1. That will give you a working example of how things are setup.

1. Open the TRX-1 EzScan program
2. Connect your Pro 106, you should have a USB cable that came with the Pro 106.
3. From the EzScan program, you should be on the first tab "General Settings"
4. Click on: File. A drop down should open with options.
5. Click on: Import from WS-1040/WS-1065 "the Pro 106 uses the same settings as the WS-1040/WS-1065".
6. Last but not least, you can now connect your TRX-1.
7. Click on "Scanner/SD Card" tab.
8. Select "Copy Configuration To Scanner Memory/SD Card".

Everything that you had programmed into your Pro-106 will now be in your TRX-1.

One last item. Be careful with the Squelch setting for P25 systems. If you set the squelch too high the screen will show reception, but you won't hear any audio. Try a squelch setting at the 9 O'clock position.

I hope this helps.

even after getting my 106 imported i'm getting no reception. My 106 sits here popping off non stop tonight, a few od's and drive bys and noting from the whistler. I'm actually starting to think about returning it....

Off my make sure it copied over correct and hope I messed up.

rcillig

Ok on the 2nd try I got my 106 list rolling on the TRX1, but man it seems to scan slow. Much slower than the 106. Now I need to learn this software so I can make a proper list for the TRX1 with no wildcats....

cal50

omg.... I find this scanner very hard to read how can I get the light to stay on I think it turning off ever 2 secs is half my issue.....

Run it on external power and the channel light stays on when it receives a call.

Make sure to switch your battery switch in your battery compartment to "nicad" or "rechargeable".
The internal charger runs on a fixed time amount and NOT charging by voltage level .

If you use an external battery charger set your internal charge time to zero so its not charging.

rcillig

ok, so life got in the way the last few months... got me a 4 day weekend and going to try and get this thing programmed.... hopefully I wont get so frustrated this time. Thanks for the info guys.. will do my best.

wbswetnam

ok, so life got in the way the last few months... got me a 4 day weekend and going to try and get this thing programmed.... hopefully I wont get so frustrated this time. Thanks for the info guys.. will do my best.

I have a TRX-1 and I think that I have mastered how to program it. If you have questions, I (and others) will try to assist as best we can. The EZScan software is actually not hard once you figure it out.

As far as the backlight settings, I keep mine permanently 'on', whether connected to a charger or on battery power only. In EZScan, under the 'General settings" tab, midway down the left-hand column you see "Backlight Settings". I have mine set for Mode (batt): on and Mode (pwr): on.

Last edited:

TailGator911

Silent Key/KF4ANC
Hey it took me several pots of coffee and numerous buggy emails to troymail before I got the hang of the TRX-1 lol As previous poster stated, there are more than a few people around here willing to help newbs with programming their scanners/

JD
kf4anc

rcillig

I found this video helpful. https://youtu.be/SmbyWSoxbRA I know its for a WS1080 but should be close.

Ok watch this video and got it working for just my local police but it seems like it would be very slow to program this way if you separate each different list, local police, state police, county & feds......... not to mention all the other stuff fire and rescue jails courts.....yada yada yada

Gowning to try the software net...... =)

rcillig

ok here with my first ezscan question.... this is also where I got stuck the first time and instead of asking I freaked out, haha I can laugh now but back then id a broke it if I continued I was so frustrated.

Ok I name my scan list and in this example its List #1 - Omaha Police, then I check the scan list page it has my list named but with no info yet... ok ok good so far now I go to Library import and put in the info and it imports everything but into default locations.. aka law talk, fire talk, multi talk... and ect ect ect, not my list and I cant seem to figure out how to get the info to my list #1. Please help me or direct me in the right direction

TY in advance......

lehigh4me

Premium Subscriber
on the EZ Scan software you can go to the Conventional Tab and you will see the last column is Scanlist number. If you highlight the rows so they are dark blue and click on the numbers in the Scanlist column. A box will come up and you can set the number of the scanlists to whatever like and then click set at the bottom.
Good Luck

rcillig

So no judging just laugh with me, the other day I got minorly frustrated, and though ill order a preprogrammed memory card for my area.... ordered my county from Zip Scanners, biggest misstate ever... waisted $60! It arrived today with only half the county police and it scans for mins with out picking up anything...... I knew better but was hoping for the best.

On the positive side I reprogrammed my RS 106pro and imported its into my TRX1 and its running very good now, when I try and program it I have issues but when I Import from the 106 it scans great... so I guess i'm still learning the whistler software.

wbswetnam

So no judging just laugh with me, the other day I got minorly frustrated, and though ill order a preprogrammed memory card for my area.... ordered my county from Zip Scanners, biggest misstate ever... waisted $60! It arrived today with only half the county police and it scans for mins with out picking up anything...... I knew better but was hoping for the best.

Yes, please don't waste your money. People here will help you for free.

wa4dou

Premium Subscriber
Yes, please don't waste your money. People here will help you for free.
Zipscanners is an "out of the garage", homebased business. I ordered a WS-1098 from them on Jan 4th and it took until Feb 3rd to actually receive one that would turn on. Both had been opened! Never again!

Status
Not open for further replies.