TRX-1: VHF P25 system issues?

Status
Not open for further replies.

N9JIG

Sheriff
I had a client call today that is having issues with P25 VHF trunking systems not working at all on his TRX-1. He had contacted Whistler and they said they were working on a solution but they didn't provide details.

I have not heard of this issue before, it appeared as though he had it programmed properly (both using the RRDB and by rolling his own) with the proper control channels etc. but the radio would not hear anything on it. He could program discrete channels and listen to the traffic that way, but not as a trunked system.

Has this already been documented and is there a way around it that would be a fairly simple task to provide him?

VicradioZone

Premium Subscriber
I'm monitoring both a UHF P25 Trunk System as well as a VHF P25 Trunk System beautifully via a TRX-1 in Melbourne, Victoria. Australia.

Perhaps you need to get his file so it can be checked a bit more thoroughly. (If not already done).

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

troymail

Silent Key
The only issue I am aware of right now - not specific to VHF - is that some systems do not send their trunking tables/band plan in the control channel. Switching the system/site from "Auto" to "Standard" has made the radio come alive on a couple of systems I've monitored.

budevans

Check the squelch setting

Might be a squelch setting issue. For what ever reason, a squelch setting greater than the 9 O'clock position blocks P25 audio on my TRX-1 scanner. Note: It does not affect DMR, NXDN systems or analog. Just P25.

It's not just an issue with my TRX-1 scanner. When I first posted this issue over a year ago, I received more than a few replies from others with the same issue.

FYI: There are three simulcast P25 800/700 systems in use in my county. The squelch issue affects all of them. The closest system tower (Cleveland GCRCN) is less than a quarter of a mile from my house. The next closest (MARCS-IP) is two miles and the farthest of the three systems towers (Parma P25) is barely three miles distant. All three towers are line of site.

TAbirdman

I had a client call today that is having issues with P25 VHF trunking systems not working at all on his TRX-1. He had contacted Whistler and they said they were working on a solution but they didn't provide details.

I have not heard of this issue before, it appeared as though he had it programmed properly (both using the RRDB and by rolling his own) with the proper control channels etc. but the radio would not hear anything on it. He could program discrete channels and listen to the traffic that way, but not as a trunked system.

Has this already been documented and is there a way around it that would be a fairly simple task to provide him?

What is the state/county/system he's having issues with?

studgeman

Premium Subscriber
Rich, we have two TRX-1 out here in Oneida Co. NY on the same system with the same problems. The Uniden's are working fine. I actually talked to the same individual you did this morning. Same issues directly under a tower as away from a tower. They work just fine on UHF CNYICC Phase1 sites.

FWIW for everyone else its a Motorola P25 Phase 2 VHF LSM system. Brand spakin new. I assure everyone this is not a signal issue.

N9JIG

Sheriff
According to our client Whistler Support came thru for him!

He needed Firmware v5.6 and to set the Trunking Tables to Autofill on the Site Options tab. It now seems to be working fine.

scan18

Premium Subscriber
https://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/?sid=5298, The Oneida County site. He said there were issues in the Hawaii County system according to Whistler.

I worked with Whistler regarding the Hawaii County VHF system. Thread is here:

https://forums.radioreference.com/w...able-track-new-vhf-p2-system.html#post2749533

The fix was included in the 5/22/2017 CPU update. According to the release notes, I believe it was related to this:

"Added handling for certain multi-block PDUs (for some VHF systems)"

Not quite sure what that means exactly, so I could be wrong on that.

N9JIG

Sheriff
So the problem was he wasn't using the latest firmware all along?

Not sure, he thinks he had the latest firmware since he had run the updates via EZ-Scan. The tech at WG sent him a program file and that was what he said he had done and it worked.

nacsr

Premium Subscriber
My TRX 1 is still not hearing the new P25 system. I've been in contact with Mike from Whistler., sent him my configuration. I've taken his suggestions but still not having any luck. Not sure what's next. May have to sell THE TRX 1 as I only bought it for the new system.

Status
Not open for further replies.