Program wanted

Status
Not open for further replies.

cmccarter

Premium Subscriber
is there an app that can monitor and tell me what talkgrps or frequiencies are being used snf the ones that are just blank?

cmjonesinc

Premium Subscriber
Assuming it's a p25 control channel you can use pro69com with your scanner to see what talkgroups are currently active on a specific tower but that's about it. I don't think a program exist that can tell you what talkgroups are actually assigned to someone and which aren't. You know... Aside from a system admin.

troymail

Silent Key
Assuming it's a p25 control channel you can use pro69com with your scanner to see what talkgroups are currently active on a specific tower but that's about it. I don't think a program exist that can tell you what talkgroups are actually assigned to someone and which aren't. You know... Aside from a system admin.

Pro96Com - Control channel decoder for P25 Trunked Radio Systems

If the question was "how do I know who is on a talkgroup that comes up as 'wildcard' or 'unknown'?" - if it isn't in the database (it might be under certain situations), the identification usually comes from us users monitoring and making that determination - unless as was stated above - someone "in the know" about the system is willing to provide that information.

buddrousa

Premium Subscriber
Troy I think OP is asking is there a program that will decode the CC and tell you what talkgroups are assigned to the system if they are active or not. That info is not transmitted by the CC to answer the OP question as I understand it.

troymail

Silent Key
Troy I think OP is asking is there a program that will decode the CC and tell you what talkgroups are assigned to the system if they are active or not. That info is not transmitted by the CC to answer the OP question as I understand it.

Agree - I was just providing more info (and a correction) for the post prior....

I honestly still don't know for sure what the real original question is....

cmccarter

Premium Subscriber
i apparently do not know enough to ask the correct question, I Thought a saw mention of some type program (not sure which scanner) that is capable of monitoring your scanner somehow then giving you a list of all tlkgrps/channels that did not have any traffic during the monitoring period.
This could be used to remove dead channels groups so you can cut the scan time. Maybe I dreamed it but i thought is was called Pro something.

troymail

Silent Key
i apparently do not know enough to ask the correct question, I Thought a saw mention of some type program (not sure which scanner) that is capable of monitoring your scanner somehow then giving you a list of all tlkgrps/channels that did not have any traffic during the monitoring period.
This could be used to remove dead channels groups so you can cut the scan time. Maybe I dreamed it but i thought is was called Pro something.

Ok - thanks for the clarification.

First and most importantly, the scan rate isn't adversely affected by the number of talkgroups - unless of course those talkgroups are active and your radio is stopping on them.

Conventional frequencies -- completely different situation. They will slow things down.

I don't know of anything that will directly identify things that are not active - to my knowledge, you'd have to determine what is NOT active but comparing your programming to what was determined to be active...

On the other hand, maybe something does exist.... but I'm not aware of it.

Some programming software does have "hit counters" so I guess you could use one of those and then look for the items with hit counts of zero...

However - just because a channel/talkgroup isn't active in the last 24 hours doesn't mean it won't become active tomorrow when the right situation(s) arise.....

gmclam

Premium Subscriber
One way is to program in a wild card, and manually save each new TG that you see. Certainly not automatic.

If you program all the TGs, then you'll get hit counts for each. Over time you'll see what's not active.

You could use a program on your PC such as UniTrunker which will monitor the system and show you what's going on.

None of these options is a "sit back and let it do all the work". That's why a lot of us enjoy this hobby. :)

bharvey2

is there an app that can monitor and tell me what talkgrps or frequiencies are being used snf the ones that are just blank?

I'm not sure if this is exactly what you're looking for but in addition to my Radio Shack 668 scanner, I also use Universal Trunker with DSD+ to scan my local public service radio system (It's a P25 Ph1 system) There is a tab in the Universal Trunker program that shows all of the talkgroups that have been received and how may hits they've received. I use the two programs with SDR dongles. However, you might be able to get by just monitoring the system (not decode the audio) and still get the information you're looking for.

cmccarter

Premium Subscriber
I think the Pro95com was the original program I read about but will investigate both now. Being retired gives me plenty of time to tinker

troymail

Silent Key
I think the Pro95com was the original program I read about but will investigate both now. Being retired gives me plenty of time to tinker

It's always good to play and experiment - but as I mentioned earlier, there really isn't alot of value in finding lightly or non-used talkgroups and removing them.... it won't speed anything up.

I find watching for activity on those talkgroups which seem not to be used more valuable than the "routine" ones.... For wildcards (looking for new stuff), I'll assign an audible and visual alert so I know when they are active. Sometimes I'll do the same for others that I've never seen active ...

Ubbe

I agree. Keep those normally non used TGs and always have a wildcard for TG and RadioID in each system to monitor the TGs that only get activated in an emergency and critical situations and also for the possibility to catch and report to RR any new TGs that haven't yet been logged and reported.

Lock out any TGs you feel only carry non interesting calls but keep the rest as it doesn't slow down scanning.

/Ubbe

Ed6698

I always have a wildcard setup with a audio and led alert along with having recording on for the wildcard. I have some TGs that have had no activity for months, then for some reason they become active. Once I set the TG after a wildcard hit, I keep recording set on for the said TG until I can identify it.

Status
Not open for further replies.