New whistler scanner ws1040 owner

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dale67

QUESTION DOES ANYONE KNOW HOW TO GET THE PROGRAMMING FOR THE 1040 Scanner? DO I NEED A SD CARD LOL...HELLLLPP ME

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Please don't cap like that - it's considered poor form (shouting). Really, it's not necessary...

This article from our wiki (links are always blue) contains links to just about everything you need to begin to understand how your radio works. Note that the 1040 is really a GRE PSR-500 in another box, so anything written for that scanner applies to you as well...

Getting Started with your GRE/RS Object Oriented Scanner - The RadioReference Wiki

There is an Easier to Read manual linked at the bottom of the above article.

While you can do it manually (and we have a link for that, too), most folks use software to program their radios. See the Object Oriented Scanner Software article. You should have a cable to connect the PC and scanner; if you don't, you can go to the Whistler website to order it. Our Connecting Scanners via USB article has the link.

Once you settle on some software, let folks know which you chose so they can help set up a file for you to get started. This is often the best way to begin

GL...Mike

Dale67

Didn't Mean To Yell

Sorry about the caps i had NO Idea they were on Anyways is there a FREE Program i Can Use To Enter All The Info Into My New Scanner?

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
Sorry about the caps i had NO Idea they were on Anyways is there a FREE Program i Can Use To Enter All The Info Into My New Scanner?
There are no free programs to use on the WS1040.

The three software packages that work with your model do have a thirty day free trial period, but after that expires, you'd need to purchase a license for the software for it to continue to work.

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
What's The Best ONE YOU Would Recomend ?
All three programs have their fans here on the forums.

Personally, I prefer Win500, then PSREdit500. While a number of people like the third option, Butel's ARC500, I don't care for it's user interface. Having said that, any of the three can program your scanner. Try all three if you like, and see which one you like best. You may find that one of them is easier to work with, because it's screens may be similar to other software you've used.

Win500, at a $30 registration fee, includes programming, as well as logging and remote control through your PC. PSREdit500 has programming, and another program in the download package that allows remote control. ARC500 Basic is programming only. If you want logging and remote control options, you'd need to choose the higher cost ARC500 Pro. All three programs support direct web import of systems and frequencies from the RadioReference database if you have the premium subscription. Without the Premium option, you can still use these to manually enter your programming information, as well as back it up to that you have a copy after you write the file to the scanner.

DJ11DLN

I like WIN500 but any of the three will do the job. Take advantage of the free trial period to see which of them you like the best before purchasing.

Ensnared

Premium Subscriber
Win500 for me. I threw Butel in the trash. With Win500, you can view many different programming fields on one screen. I think it is much easier to use than Butel.

Ensnared

Premium Subscriber
I have a few questions. Did you buy that radio new? Have you ever dropped the unit? Does the BNC housing appear to be lose? Can you hear the weather channel?

Status
Not open for further replies.