EZ Scan software

Status
Not open for further replies.

dorslv

after pc crashed and rebuild the software win 7 then upgrade back to win 10, I tried installing the ez scan software version 2.25.0.453 from the whistler site and got multiple errors, the first was (error opening file for writing. C:/users/dorian/documents/ws1080 digital/Config_.bin). using a ws-1080, tried installing the pc driver also but same thing error... Help, anybody have a older version they can send me?
THX Dorian. ac0sl

Wackyracer

Premium Subscriber
Uninstall ezscan first, then the driver from device manager, check off delete the file. reboot the computer then try reinstalling ezscan.then the driver.

dorslv

ez scan

thx guys for the help, I did disable the firewall/anti virus, got it to install then the software will not pick up the scanner and started to get more errors, the driver won't install at all, same error msg.

Wackyracer

Premium Subscriber
Try another USB cable, also in windows 10 you need to use the Unsigned driver process.google is your friend.

dorslv

ez scan software

THX Mike, got the driver installed per your help in the wiki, worked like a charm. I finally got the EZ Scan software ( not so easy ) I would turn off windows defender and tried to no avail but when I turned off windows defender virus and threat protection it installed EASY PEASY! thx everyone
Dorian AC0SL

sbhnutts570

Premium Subscriber
Whistler Ez Scan Software is junk

This software is terrible for programming.I had Whistler program my scanner for one county. The channels are not what I want to listen too, it's what they want us to listen too. So I have played around and programmed my own scan lists. It took almost a week, I had no idea what I was listening to so I renamed these stupid abbreviations. But now when I want to update or add new channels it takes my scan list back to their original names not mine when I copy to sd card that's if I can get my scanner to connect to the pc.A lot of the channels Whistler programmed are depreciated.Why doesn't this software just update your new stuff instead of recouping everything? I set lights for different cities and they all show up green, can't seem to fix that either. The copy current config i would assume is what I am seeing on the pc but it's not, it resets everything.You think they would fix this software.

troymail

Silent Key
This software is terrible for programming.I had Whistler program my scanner for one county. The channels are not what I want to listen too, it's what they want us to listen too. So I have played around and programmed my own scan lists. It took almost a week, I had no idea what I was listening to so I renamed these stupid abbreviations. But now when I want to update or add new channels it takes my scan list back to their original names not mine when I copy to sd card that's if I can get my scanner to connect to the pc.A lot of the channels Whistler programmed are depreciated.Why doesn't this software just update your new stuff instead of recouping everything? I set lights for different cities and they all show up green, can't seem to fix that either. The copy current config i would assume is what I am seeing on the pc but it's not, it resets everything.You think they would fix this software.

The issues you are having with how someone else programmed your scanner have nothing to do with the software. They are two completely different issues.

Any software (for anything) takes time to learn and understand.

The fact that you had someone else program your radio and then made changes to that programming before understanding how the radio and software work are a major part of why you are having issues.

The software isn't broken but it does have limitations (all software does). As a user, it is important to understand those limitations.

Anytime you are going to make changes to data and/or configurations (this applies to anything that can be edited), you should be sure to make a backup of the current good configuration before trying to make changes. That way, you can always get back to where you started when/if things go wrong.

For best results, anyone here will tell you that it is important to take the time to play and experiment with the software to become comfortable with it. This should be done with data and/or configurations that at least initially are free of manual edits and customization - at least, until you have built confidence in the software and how it works.

Swipesy

Once again the axiom of 90% of the problem is between the keyboard and chair proves to be true. EZScan is not "junk". It is very powerful if the user is smart enough and patient enough to learn how to use it. The Naming function in RadioReference is not "stupid". The limitation of the Whistler scanners for Alpha character limits you to 16 characters. You need to get creative and rename the database alpha tags in Ezscan to a shorthand that you understand. I use Excel to rename all Alpha Tags and then import into Ezscan. Try it, you may find it works better for you.

03msc

RF is RF
Premium Subscriber

As troy said, you need to understand the software and not blame it for your lack of understanding. Take the SD card out of your scanner and insert it into your PC...open EZScan...read the card...make changes/edits...write to the card...put the card back in the scanner. I'm not sure what you mean by "it resets everything".

The software doesn't need fixed. Perhaps explain a little bit more what you are doing and we can better understand your issues and provide better guidance. I know it's easy to get frustrated but blaming the software (that hundreds of us are using just fine) tells us you want to point fingers and not figure out the problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.