TRX-1 on a P25 Phase 1 Simulcast

Status
Not open for further replies.

clsmith29

Hello All,
I recently purchased and have setup and configured a TRX-1. My local county uses a P25 Phase 1 Simlucast and I sit amongst several repeater locations, so I have the same issues everyone else does with a simulcast system. I am going to get a external Yagi to resolve that issue, however, I had a thought. Theoretically speaking, could I not setup a cell phone repeater that runs in the 800 mhz range and connect it to a Yagi on the outside and then put an Omni or panel style antenna inside the house to keep me from having to have the scanner hard wired in? I could then put a stubby antenna on the scanner so it would essentially pickup what it was receiving from the repeated signal coming into the house. Has anyone tried this?

clsmith29

Hello All,
I recently purchased and have setup and configured a TRX-1. My local county uses a P25 Phase 1 Simlucast and I sit amongst several repeater locations, so I have the same issues everyone else does with a simulcast system. I am going to get a external Yagi to resolve that issue, however, I had a thought. Theoretically speaking, could I not setup a cell phone repeater that runs in the 800 mhz range and connect it to a Yagi on the outside and then put an Omni or panel style antenna inside the house to keep me from having to have the scanner hard wired in? I could then put a stubby antenna on the scanner so it would essentially pickup what it was receiving from the repeated signal coming into the house. Has anyone tried this?
update: after further researcher I have been unable to find a repeater that has a downlink in the 850 kHz range. so no this will not work.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

radio3353

Generally, the only thing that works regarding simulcast distortion is buying a real radio not Uniden and Whistler over-priced toys. This has been discussed ad nauseum on the forums.

sbhnutts570

Premium Subscriber
Hello
They make a indoor Yagi looks just the same. Priced higher than the outdoor one. Don'y know why? Scan Master has them on back order. I too am looking for a yagi, This P25 is all choppy on my TRX-1. I've asked questions but everyone just tells me to read this has already been posted.Let me know if you find out anything. I will do the same.

Ubbe

I have used all passive antenna repeaters that worked ok for coverage in a small area in an underground garage and at my workplace. You couldn't move very far from the antenna but it still served it's purpose.

As you only need one way direction to receive you could use an antenna amplifier with 20-30dB gain at the outside antenna and then add a distribution amplifier that handles larger signals without overloading and feed to the inside antenna.

But if you now receive a direct signal and an amplifiied at the same time it probably wont improve the total receive experience.

/Ubbe

Status
Not open for further replies.