RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > Scanners, Receivers and Related Equipment Forums > Whistler Scanners

Whistler Scanners - For discussion of Whistler branded scanners.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 02-10-2018, 11:57 PM

Default Battery drain

My TRX-1 batteries drain when it's turned off, I was suspicious at first and thought I might have been leaving it on occasionally before going to bed, so last night experimented . I listened for about a half hour before bed and the batteries read full when I turned it off. I just turned it on and the thing was dead again and no, it still won't save the time and date when I change batteries.
Sponsored links
Old 02-11-2018, 12:07 AM

I'm using eneloop pros and they all read over 2600 mAh before I put them in. The batteries last longer with the stupid thing turned on and using it than they do with it turned off! Really tired of this, hadn't bought a scanner in a long time because my uniden battery lasted five minutes!
Old 02-11-2018, 6:01 AM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos

Did you send it in to get looked at like some people suggested the last time you posted about this issue?
Old 02-11-2018, 6:15 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed6698 View Post
Did you send it in to get looked at like some people suggested the last time you posted about this issue?
+1, it shouldn't be doing that. If it's under warranty I'd suggest you send it in. If it was doing that and you let the warranty run out, well...

Old 02-11-2018, 6:56 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

I have two TRX scanners and neither one exhibits that problem. Use your energy to send it in rather than repost the same problem.
Sponsored links
Old 02-11-2018, 2:53 PM

Sorry, just whining, every time I spend $500 on something it has to be sent back, I could have lived with the date/time issue but now this comes up, really disappointing.
Old 02-11-2018, 3:07 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

I never seen that problem - as others have said, it may not make you happy, but if it's under warranty, send it in and have it checked. You'll end up even more unhappy if you wait until the warranty runs out....
Old 02-11-2018, 3:09 PM

I know, just time and money, another chore to do.
Old 02-11-2018, 5:13 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Default 2600

how did you test the capacity ?
Old 02-11-2018, 6:07 PM

I'm just going off what my chargers are telling me, Xstar VC4 and Maja 9000.
Old 02-11-2018, 6:14 PM

Yep, send it in assuming your batteries are not the problem. It's not going to fix itself.
Old 02-11-2018, 6:16 PM

Eneloop pro brand new, unlikely all eight are bad out of the package though.
Old 02-12-2018, 12:44 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by picscan View Post
Eneloop pro brand new, unlikely all eight are bad out of the package though.
Unlikely but not impossible. Do you have some other device you could try them in as a control? I still say send the scanner in but I've gotten dud new batteries, usually alkaline, but some rechargeable too, a few times over the years. Even a flashlight would work.

But I think there's a flaw in your scanner and it's got a drain going on when there shouldn't be any. By comparison I have to keep batteries in the Pro-668/WS-1080 I use as a mobile in my car. None of the power ports stay on with the key off so it loses the clock if it sits for a few days without batteries in it. I most recently charged them last July and the scanner is set to never charge, both software and physically switched to ALK...just checked and they're still at 70-ish percent. And no, it's not a TRX, but it's fairly closely related to one.
Old 02-12-2018, 5:43 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Default Battery management of the TRX-1

Quote:
Originally Posted by picscan View Post
My TRX-1 batteries drain when it's turned off, I was suspicious at first and thought I might have been leaving it on occasionally before going to bed, so last night experimented . I listened for about a half hour before bed and the batteries read full when I turned it off. I just turned it on and the thing was dead again and no, it still won't save the time and date when I change batteries.
I measured the charge current of my TRX1 and its 50mA. At that rate it would take 40 hours to top off some AA cells with 2AH capacity. For every hour you run it on battery that needs about 5 hours of charging.
So, if I have it plugged in whenever I'm not mobile then it will have a full 8 hours run time. I set the charge timer to 50 hours.

I have not popped the cover to look at the charge circuit and have not seen a schematic. Have not received any responses to queries to Whistler about this.

So pull the batteries out and charge them in a quick charger with a thermal cutoff,
or keep it plugged in, 5 hours for every hour you use it. Too bad it does not have timer off features. Too bad the charge current is so low.
It does have timer on features, but I have not used that.