TRX-1: Battery drain

Status
Not open for further replies.

picscan

Premium Subscriber
My TRX-1 batteries drain when it's turned off, I was suspicious at first and thought I might have been leaving it on occasionally before going to bed, so last night experimented . I listened for about a half hour before bed and the batteries read full when I turned it off. I just turned it on and the thing was dead again and no, it still won't save the time and date when I change batteries.

picscan

Premium Subscriber
I'm using eneloop pros and they all read over 2600 mAh before I put them in. The batteries last longer with the stupid thing turned on and using it than they do with it turned off! Really tired of this, hadn't bought a scanner in a long time because my uniden battery lasted five minutes!

DJ11DLN

Did you send it in to get looked at like some people suggested the last time you posted about this issue?
+1, it shouldn't be doing that. If it's under warranty I'd suggest you send it in. If it was doing that and you let the warranty run out, well...

:roll::confused::(:mad:

jaspence

Premium Subscriber
I have two TRX scanners and neither one exhibits that problem. Use your energy to send it in rather than repost the same problem.

picscan

Premium Subscriber
Sorry, just whining, every time I spend $500 on something it has to be sent back, I could have lived with the date/time issue but now this comes up, really disappointing.

troymail

Silent Key
I never seen that problem - as others have said, it may not make you happy, but if it's under warranty, send it in and have it checked. You'll end up even more unhappy if you wait until the warranty runs out....

picscan

Premium Subscriber
I'm just going off what my chargers are telling me, Xstar VC4 and Maja 9000.

Wackyracer

Premium Subscriber
Yep, send it in assuming your batteries are not the problem. It's not going to fix itself.

picscan

Premium Subscriber
Eneloop pro brand new, unlikely all eight are bad out of the package though.

DJ11DLN

Eneloop pro brand new, unlikely all eight are bad out of the package though.
Unlikely but not impossible. Do you have some other device you could try them in as a control? I still say send the scanner in but I've gotten dud new batteries, usually alkaline, but some rechargeable too, a few times over the years. Even a flashlight would work.

But I think there's a flaw in your scanner and it's got a drain going on when there shouldn't be any. By comparison I have to keep batteries in the Pro-668/WS-1080 I use as a mobile in my car. None of the power ports stay on with the key off so it loses the clock if it sits for a few days without batteries in it. I most recently charged them last July and the scanner is set to never charge, both software and physically switched to ALK...just checked and they're still at 70-ish percent. And no, it's not a TRX, but it's fairly closely related to one.

chris451rr

Battery management of the TRX-1

My TRX-1 batteries drain when it's turned off, I was suspicious at first and thought I might have been leaving it on occasionally before going to bed, so last night experimented . I listened for about a half hour before bed and the batteries read full when I turned it off. I just turned it on and the thing was dead again and no, it still won't save the time and date when I change batteries.

I measured the charge current of my TRX1 and its 50mA. At that rate it would take 40 hours to top off some AA cells with 2AH capacity. For every hour you run it on battery that needs about 5 hours of charging.
So, if I have it plugged in whenever I'm not mobile then it will have a full 8 hours run time. I set the charge timer to 50 hours.

I have not popped the cover to look at the charge circuit and have not seen a schematic. Have not received any responses to queries to Whistler about this.

So pull the batteries out and charge them in a quick charger with a thermal cutoff,
or keep it plugged in, 5 hours for every hour you use it. Too bad it does not have timer off features. Too bad the charge current is so low.
It does have timer on features, but I have not used that.

Status
Not open for further replies.