WS1065 Low Volume Conventional Channels

Status
Not open for further replies.

KR7CQ

Premium Subscriber
I got my WS1065 today and have one concern. When monitoring frequencies on conventional systems, the volume is about half of what it is for the trunked P25 systems in the area. On the conventional channels I have selected NFM for modulation, and also I checked audio boost, but that seems to make little or no difference. Has anyone else experienced this or does anyone have and suggestions?

scanner92us

My WS1040 handheld is the same. I don't know why it is. This doesn't bother me too much, because I have a uniden bc 346xt I use for analog. It is strange though. My p25 trunk system is nice and loud.

KR7CQ

Premium Subscriber
My WS1040 handheld is the same. I don't know why it is. This doesn't bother me too much, because I have a uniden bc 346xt I use for analog. It is strange though. My p25 trunk system is nice and loud.

Yup, this radio is almost "commercial radio loud" reproducing P25 trunked stuff, and the conventional stuff is about half as loud no matter what I do.

And it's the same for me in my case, I have dedicated analog scanners, and this scanner was purchased mostly for monitoring two particular P25 trunked systems in my shack, so it won't really matter. Plus it picks up a bit of intermod in UHF, so it won't be doing much conventional work anyway.

I just find it a bit surprising that Whistler would let this happen.

On the positive side not only is the P25 trunked audio loud, like the other GRE designed digital scanners, digital transmissions sound "human", and not "robotic" like some other scanners sound. Funny that a 10-11 year old design still produces the most realistic audio of any digital scanner (newer GRE's / Whistlers have pretty realistic sounding audio also though). Uniden decoders always seemed more robotic sounding to me, especially the 396 / 996 scanners, and to a lesser extent on my X36 scanners. But of course Unidens don't have this audio issue, or the absurd volume knob sensitivity. For what I need it for this unit should serve well though.

Last edited:

scanner92us

Yup, this radio is almost "commercial radio loud" reproducing P25 trunked stuff, and the conventional stuff is about half as loud no matter what I do.

And it's the same for me in my case, I have dedicated analog scanners, and this scanner was purchased mostly for monitoring two particular P25 trunked systems in my shack, so it won't really matter. Plus it picks up a bit of intermod in UHF, so it won't be doing much conventional work anyway.

I just find it a bit surprising that Whistler would let this happen.

On the positive side not only is the P25 trunked audio loud, like the other GRE designed digital scanners, digital transmissions sound "human", and not "robotic" like some other scanners sound. Funny that a 10-11 year old design still produces the most realistic audio of any digital scanner (newer GRE's / Whistlers have pretty realistic sounding audio also though). Uniden decoders always seemed more robotic sounding to me, especially the 396 / 996 scanners, and to a lesser extent on my X36 scanners. But of course Unidens don't have this audio issue, or the absurd volume knob sensitivity. For what I need it for this unit should serve well though.

For me the intermod is on vhf. There is a pocsag pager transmitter near town on 152.180 that just hammers my radios. All GRE made scanners I've encountered, and now my Whistler have been like this. The Unidens aren't near as bad. I don't have any other digital scanners, but I agree it doesn't sound robotic like I expected it to. On the go it would be nice do both digital and analog on one radio but this one just doesn't quite cut it on analog. I got mine from Whistler as a refurbished unit for only 165 dollars. Overall good scanner, great digital sound, and like serves my needs well.

KR7CQ

Premium Subscriber
For me the intermod is on vhf. There is a pocsag pager transmitter near town on 152.180 that just hammers my radios. All GRE made scanners I've encountered, and now my Whistler have been like this....

Same here. My 27 year old PRO-2006 scanners (made by GRE in Japan) have the same intermod on UHF lol. None of my Uniden scanners new or old have that issue.

So far my three LOL's a Whister on this unit are:

*Conventional vs. trunked P25 volume disparity.
*Insanely sensitive volume control.
*Same lousy intermod typical for GRE scanners.
*Stock antenna won't even stand up straight because the antenna's BNC is so loose it just falls over. Luckily it will be cabled to my multicoupler, but still!

The great digital audio is what I got it for though, and it has that for sure, and they are cheap, so....

Wackyracer

Premium Subscriber
Try turning the DAC down ...way down, this should help to more balance out the audio.

Ubbe

Same here. My 27 year old PRO-2006 scanners (made by GRE in Japan) have the same intermod on UHF lol

Probably not intermod. I've never heard of anyone having intermod problems with a Pro-2006. It has low sensitivity but can instead handle strong signals. It is probably a mirror frequency, the reason why some scanners have a +/- ifx option to change where the mirror frequency appears.

/Ubbe

Status
Not open for further replies.