WS1040: What do I set the charge time to?

Status
Not open for further replies.

K2RNI

I just got some Eneloop Pros with my WS1040. I already switched the setting to NIMH and put them in the yellow holder but notice there is also a charge time setting below. What is this for and do I need to change it?

Does the scanner stop charging when it detects certain voltage or is it a timer based charging circuit? Because I notice it is capable of reading the voltage precisely when you go to the battery info section of the menu.

TES

Do yourself a favor and dump the yellow battery holder. Your scanner has timer-based charging circuitry—only while the scanner is turned on. If the scanner is:
  • turned off
  • attached to an external power source
  • using the yellow battery holder
the batteries will charge ENDLESSLY, an accident waiting to happen.

w1bp

Premium Subscriber
Get the Panasonic charger and another set of Eneloops from Amazon and charge them externally. I have two sets of NiMH batteries and just swap and charge.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

K2RNI

Do yourself a favor and dump the yellow battery holder. Your scanner has timer-based charging circuitry—only while the scanner is turned on. If the scanner is:
  • turned off
  • attached to an external power source
  • using the yellow battery holder
the batteries will charge ENDLESSLY, an accident waiting to happen.

Oh wow I was afraid of overcharging based on the timer eventually damaging the cells, didn't know it was that bad. Thankfully I have a Nitecore i4 smart charger from my flashlight hobby so I guess I'll just have to use that like I do for my Pro-91.

If I use them in the black holder with the battery type still set for NiMH it won't charge the batteries just power the scanner right? I like to use the AC adapter while at home to save the batteries.

jaspence

Premium Subscriber
I had a Pro 96 (predecessor to your radio) almost destroyed when a battery shorted while charging in the radio. Get a good charger and protect your investment. Remember to set the battery type in the radio settings to NiMH for best battery life.

DJ11DLN

Another vote for get a quality external charger and don't even try to use your scanner to charge batteries. Your battery duration and overall life will be much better, and you won't be putting your scanner at risk for a battery malfunction that could destroy it.

Status
Not open for further replies.