TRX-1: EzScan v3.23 Scanner Not Found

Status
Not open for further replies.

racingfan360

Is anyone else now having issues with EzScan v3.23 connecting to your scanner? I've never had any problems up until now...the scanner appears as if it isn't connected (via USB), so I can't undertake any firmware updates. However I can still complete config updates to and from the scanner after a few (usually 3) attempts.

Just to confirm:
- I have tried both the signed Windows driver and the Whistler driver (as discussed here: https://forums.radioreference.com/whistler-scanners/317662-whistler-scanners-windows-10-a.html)
- I've tried the same scanner and usb cable on a separate laptop. This is running the default signed Windows driver, and it works ok.
- both devices running Windows 10 Home on the latest updates
- I've even tried different SD cards but with the same results
- I've tried re-installing EzScan several times

Any ideas?

TIA,

Jim

Wackyracer

Premium Subscriber
Firmware updates require a separate driver then the one used to transfer programming, What is the Exact error?

SCPD

QRT
Nope,Mine still connects.
Check your firewall on your router and windows may have blocked it.
The safety on MS Windows is a little too much at times and not enough other times.
A program called "Smart Screen" is where you have to allow it.

Wackyracer

Premium Subscriber
VPN's, Antivirus, are just a few things that will block the download...We need to figure out if that is what is happening or if ezscan will not connect directly to the scanner, Can you set the clock via ezscan? if not then it is a driver issue, Uninstall and delete the comport driver via device manger under ports, then reinstall using the unsigned driver process and this link https://whistlergroup.com/products/trx-1-pc-driver

racingfan360

Thanks. To confirm, I've tried running with Defender and AV switched off, but with the same results. I've also added the Whistler app to the Smart Screen list of enabled (whitelisted) apps.

The problem isn't connecting to the website, its to the scanner. I can't even do RTC time syncs to the PC. Oddly if I try the copy config to/from scanner, on the third attempt it works, but only for file copies.

Device Manager shows the TRX1 Serial Device ok. This is the one downloaded (and re-installed several times) from the Whistler site. Windows Explorer shows the TRX1 connected ok.

EDIT: to confirm, I have followed the unsigned install driver advice too.

The precise error is:
Scanner Not Found
Your scanner does not appear to be connected to your computer. Please connect the scanner to your computer and try again.

Wackyracer

Premium Subscriber
Thanks. To confirm, I've tried running with Defender and AV switched off, but with the same results. I've also added the Whistler app to the Smart Screen list of enabled (whitelisted) apps.

The problem isn't connecting to the website, its to the scanner. I can't even do RTC time syncs to the PC. Oddly if I try the copy config to/from scanner, on the third attempt it works, but only for file copies.

Device Manager shows the TRX1 Serial Device ok. This is the one downloaded (and re-installed several times) from the Whistler site. Windows Explorer shows the TRX1 connected ok.

EDIT: to confirm, I have followed the unsigned install driver advice too.

The precise error is:
Scanner Not Found
Your scanner does not appear to be connected to your computer. Please connect the scanner to your computer and try again.

Do you have the scanner off when updating the firmware?
Try the stand alone installer https://whistlergroup.com/products/trx-1-cpu-firmware-installer

Or precede with this...

Get a new USB cable, uninstall the driver and delete again, this time REBOOT the computer before you reinstall, Also do a power reset on the scanner ...pull the usb and batteries, hold down the power button for at least 30 sec while pressing other buttons, plug back in to power, power on, install batteries. Power off and try to install firmware via ezscan

racingfan360

Thanks Wackyracer.....been through all those steps now and still getting nowhere. Very odd that EzScan works in some circumstances (ie copy config) but not for Clock/Firmware updates. Maybe I'll try again later but I guess life would be much easier if Whistler just got their drivers digitally signed (?)

Wackyracer

Premium Subscriber
Thanks Wackyracer.....been through all those steps now and still getting nowhere. Very odd that EzScan works in some circumstances (ie copy config) but not for Clock/Firmware updates. Maybe I'll try again later but I guess life would be much easier if Whistler just got their drivers digitally signed (?)

No it is not odd, There are 2 different drivers needed, The comport driver is the one giving you a problem and after trying all that, use a computer with a different USB chipset...some don't play well with the scanner. I am told it is a windows problem.

SCPD

QRT
If everything works but firmware or DSP update the driver is balled up in windows
Reinstall the Driver for your scanner.

It will read/write to and from scanner without a driver.

I had no previous problems communicating with the scanner, but after EZ SCAN update it acts like it's not there and can't find it. Played hopscotch with all 3 USB ports, and it says 'try a 2.0 instead of a 3.0'.

Is it possible a Windows update has messed-up the scanner comm port or both Windows 8.1 and EZ SCAN don't want to play nice with communication anymore? Tried it 6 different ways over a 2-hour period of time.

Re-install the unsigned drivers all-over again??

Wackyracer

Premium Subscriber
I had no previous problems communicating with the scanner, but after EZ SCAN update it acts like it's not there and can't find it. Played hopscotch with all 3 USB ports, and it says 'try a 2.0 instead of a 3.0'.

Is it possible a Windows update has messed-up the scanner comm port or both Windows 8.1 and EZ SCAN don't want to play nice with communication anymore? Tried it 6 different ways over a 2-hour period of time.

Re-install the unsigned drivers all-over again??

Windows update have been known to mess with unsigned drivers aka: the whistler scanners comport driver, so reinstall the comport driver using the unsigned driver procedure

Status
Not open for further replies.