WS1080: VERY Disappointed in 668 to WS1080 Upgrade

Status
Not open for further replies.

CycleSycho

:( Sent my 99.8% pristine faced PRO-668 scanner to be upgraded and just received it back with a scuffed/rubbed/minor scratched face (display and where buttons are located). You would think they would take better care of a customers scanner, than what they did with mine. I didn't, but I highly recommend whoever sends their scanner in (onwards), to take a few close-up picture of the scanner condition before sending it in. VERY DISAPPOINTED! :(

:( Lets hope the scanner works better than it now looks... :(

DJ11DLN

Mine came back in the same condition as it was sent, i.e. with normal wear and some minor display scratches. But it performed a lot better. I had been thinking that I had a defective one and was out of luck until I tried Eric's conversion, which really brought it to life. The official one worked just as well and continues to do so. I guess the factory 668 FW was either pretty lousy or just did not agree with what I had programmed.

Sorry for your bad experience. I'd file a complaint with Whistler. No excuse for beating up a scanner sent in for upgrade or repair.

CycleSycho

Mine came back in the same condition as it was sent, i.e. with normal wear and some minor display scratches. But it performed a lot better. I had been thinking that I had a defective one and was out of luck until I tried Eric's conversion, which really brought it to life. The official one worked just as well and continues to do so. I guess the factory 668 FW was either pretty lousy or just did not agree with what I had programmed.

Sorry for your bad experience. I'd file a complaint with Whistler. No excuse for beating up a scanner sent in for upgrade or repair.

:) Thank you Sir, If anyone has a good email/phone number for a Whistler complaint, please list it here? Also, thought the scanner would come back with all the 'Whistler' info on the boot-up screen. Does anyone have the info that should be in a WS1080 during boot, I think I can edit it to come up as one (the first screen says init SD file system, then whistler, then verifying data, then all the RS Pro668 info screen). Appreciate some help/info so I can have it list itself as upgraded? Plus, should I go ahead and 'prepare the card' and just start the SD card from scratch? Thanks all! :)

Wackyracer

Premium Subscriber
:) Thank you Sir, If anyone has a good email/phone number for a Whistler complaint, please list it here? Also, thought the scanner would come back with all the 'Whistler' info on the boot-up screen. Does anyone have the info that should be in a WS1080 during boot, I think I can edit it to come up as one (the first screen says init SD file system, then whistler, then verifying data, then all the RS Pro668 info screen). Appreciate some help/info so I can have it list itself as upgraded? Plus, should I go ahead and 'prepare the card' and just start the SD card from scratch? Thanks all! :)

Follow the instruction that they sent back with the scanner.

Fasteddy2

Premium Subscriber
Pro668

This might seem Dumb ..but I want to go back to 4.5 firmware.. I have the new 4.8 firmware 3.1 DSP Which I did with whistler ...and I have Eric's tool 0.2.0.3 and the 4.5 firmware on my computer.The question is if I go back will it mess up my radio in the stuck mod...Is this a good Idea?I liked the 4.5 firmware better.when it was working on ERIC's .

Wackyracer

Premium Subscriber
This might seem Dumb ..but I want to go back to 4.5 firmware.. I have the new 4.8 firmware 3.1 DSP Which I did with whistler ...and I have Eric's tool 0.2.0.3 and the 4.5 firmware on my computer.The question is if I go back will it mess up my radio in the stuck mod...Is this a good Idea?I liked the 4.5 firmware better.when it was working on ERIC's .

It would only be a good Idea if you want to lock it and loose DMR and pay $89.99 to get it fixed.. without a specific reason as to why you think it was better on hacked 4.5 firmware I can only say this....In some cases you need to tweak your settings because it's on newer firmware.

You may be able roll it back to OFFICIAL ws1080 ver 4,5 if you find someone who has it, You will need to be positive that it really is official...so give it a try and let us all know the out come....we are patiently waiting the results!

DJ11DLN

I'd go to the Whistler website for contact info. As far as making it say something different when booting up, you can change that to make it say anything you want, either directly (which would be a PITA) or very easily using E-Z Scan. Just edit the box in the upper left titled, "Welcome Text."

DJ11DLN

:wink: I did all that, it boots up as a PRO668. I need the 5 lines on the boot-up screen to indicate a whistler WS1080. I can do it in ezscan but need the text to enter. :wink:
See my post above. Having it still say it's a 668 on boot doesn't mean a thing. You can make it say it's a blue-green Martian or a Model T. Or even a WS-1080. Just edit the welcome text. So long as you are seeing the Whistler logo before the welcome text shows then it's running as a 1080 and that bit of text won't affect the way the scanner runs at all.

Wackyracer

Premium Subscriber
the words pro-668 and everything else with it is just a custom text that can be edited via ezscan.

CycleSycho

What does the OEM WS1080 have in the first 5 lines?

:confused: Asked at least 2 times, what does the WS1080 have in the 5 lines of text during the bootup. Can someone please just list it without telling me I can put anything I want there? Just the 5 lines, PLEASE... :confused:

JD21960

Premium Subscriber
WS1080 -lines

WHISTLER
Handheld
EZ Scan-DG
Digital
Trunking Scanner

Last edited by a moderator:

CycleSycho

WHISTLER
Handheld
EZ Scan-DG
Digital
Trunking Scanner

:wink: Thanks JD2, much appreciated! I have just sent in a complaint about how they treated my scanner. Will keep you all updated on their reply as I receive them. I wish they hadn't treated my scanner this way, as it doesn't reflect on the company very well. :wink:

jaspence

Premium Subscriber
Sorry for your bad luck. I sent two (PSR 108 and PRO 18) to Whistler, and both came back in great shape and work very well. Did you record the serial number on your original to be sure you got the same one back? If not, you might have gotten a refurb because previous hacks made your's refuse to upgrade properly. I would not go back to older firmware unless I had some solid knowledge that none of the Whistler posts have revealed in the past.

CycleSycho

Sorry for your bad luck. I sent two (PSR 108 and PRO 18) to Whistler, and both came back in great shape and work very well. Did you record the serial number on your original to be sure you got the same one back? If not, you might have gotten a refurb because previous hacks made your's refuse to upgrade properly. I would not go back to older firmware unless I had some solid knowledge that none of the Whistler posts have revealed in the past.

:wink: Yes my Serial # was recorded and returned. Also had a name/address sticker inside unit. Was a PRO668 complete, not a hacked unit. Only note on returned package was that I also kept the rear battery cover (just sent the radio, I misread the removal of parts instructions). Hope to hear from Whistler soon. :wink:

DJ11DLN

I hope you get some satisfaction from Whistler. Sorry if my earlier replies sounded flippant, I didn't understand what you were asking.

CycleSycho

I hope you get some satisfaction from Whistler. Sorry if my earlier replies sounded flippant, I didn't understand what you were asking.

:wink: Its OK DJ, it all works out. I just now logged in/on the net and will check my email for a Whistler response. Scanner is working nominally now. Good luck to everyone else who sends theirs in. I would suggest taking close-up pictures of your scanners condition before sending it in, forward. :wink:

:confused: Any chance someone has an archived copy of the SD card files (without their own folder additions) that they can pass along? :confused:

WhistlerWendy

Premium Subscriber
:wink: Its OK DJ, it all works out. I just now logged in/on the net and will check my email for a Whistler response. Scanner is working nominally now. Good luck to everyone else who sends theirs in. I would suggest taking close-up pictures of your scanners condition before sending it in, forward. :wink:

:confused: Any chance someone has an archived copy of the SD card files (without their own folder additions) that they can pass along? :confused:

Hi CycleSycho -
Can you PM or email me directly so that I can look into this for you?

Thanks,
WW

Status
Not open for further replies.