shutting off talk groups

Status
Not open for further replies.

daggit

I was told best way to program your scanner is download everything and stead of breaking sites up into different scan lists then toggle the different talk groups on and off depending on what you want to listen to. What is the easiest way to shut off and urn on talk groups? I planed on shutting and turning on different scan lists.

Swipesy

I was told best way to program your scanner is download everything and stead of breaking sites up into different scan lists then toggle the different talk groups on and off depending on what you want to listen to. What is the easiest way to shut off and urn on talk groups? I planed on shutting and turning on different scan lists.

Who ever told you that has no clue what they are talking about!

First off the WS-1065 has a memory limitation of 1852 objects. By downloading "everything" you will max out the scanner's memory. Not knowing what area you are from I can't advise you on what system(s) you are referring too but if they are large you will fill up the scanner with worthless objects. Refer to your manual to read up on Objects and what comprises objects for your scanner

Also, your scanner is limited to 20 Scanlists. you need to pre-think what you want and wisely assign scanlists. There are numerous methods you can use depending again on where you are listening. Some people set up Scanlists by County, some by type, i.e. police, fire, ems, etc.

Trying to enable/disable Talkgroups is not a very efficient or quick way to control your scanner.

Best way is -

1. Setup Scanlist in such a way to just have to toggle on/off by pressing keypad numbers.
2. Use the "Favorites" option to carve out those Talkgroups you would like to listen to in certain situations. Then with one keypad button push you can switch to Favorites and not hear all other Scanlists.

daggit

Thank you that is what I was doing. I was setting up police and fire in different scan lists by county. Here is my problem. I'm using wild cards and the ID's that come up are correct with the transition but sometimes it will say its a site from another county and sometimes will say police instead of fire and vice versa. Just want the Id's to correspond with the sites and the names of the system in each bank. Also I have used win500 and made two lists one with wild cards and one without wild cards I get very little traffic when I don't use wild cards even though both lists in win500 are exactly the same but no wildcards on on.

Swipesy

As I told you in another thread I would stay away from wildcards. Unless you think that Talkgroups exist that are not listed in the RadioReference library or you think new Talkgroups are being created that have not yet been reported I would not use Wildcards.

You seem to be on the right track with your configuration but then you throw in the wildcard as the only way you are hearing police and fire. Should not be the case. Setup Scanlist labeled Police and another Scanlist labeled Fire. Tnen look at RR database and only put police TG's in the police Scanlist and only fire TG's in the Fire Scanlist. Don't use any wildcards. If you hear nothing then your programming is messed up.

If you want to post you configuration here or PM me I would be glad to look at your config for you.

daggit

thank you I may just do that and pm you Im trying tons of combinations on my scanning lists. there are three main control sites and and messing with putting them all in my different scan lists. Dont know if that is nessary. Now Im using private wild cards dont know how this will turn out also switched over to the fsredit program which seems a bit better then win500. If you don't mind maybe I could send you my two scan lists one with wild cards and one with out, the original ones. Im very pleased with this scanner have no issues besides simply wanting to assign names to different agencies on different scan lists. One of my active police ids using wild cards is not listed in the RR data base. Seems like its coming from another county. Its very active. I tried looking it up using the ID search feature on the RR database. Thanks again. This issue is really nawing at me and spending wayyyy to much time on fixing it..

daggit

I'm finding that as I tweek my scan lists sometimes I pick up much more traffic a distance away and nearby very little and the opposite happens as I tweek my lists. Is it possible that the radio is locking onto a specific site/system? I started reading about the p25 options such as stat and roam, and off. When I put it on roam on one of my scan lists started picking stuff up again.

Swipesy

I use both PSREdit and Win500. I prefer PSREdit for programming and Win500 for monitoring with PC.Either format is okay with me.

You can assign a Talkgroup to more than one Scanlist. I use Excel to edit my Talkgroups and then import into PSREdit/WIN500.

daggit

Swipesy I live between two cities one I have never really been able to pick up but I dont know what I did but was getting tons of traffic from that city while the city I live in wasnt getting anything or very little. I have no idea what I did but screwed with my scan lists again and lost that traffic. I know I'm missing something. Basically I'm uploading from RR database with the transmission sites and talk groups that go with that site. You would think it would be easy. I have got alot of conflicting advice.

Status
Not open for further replies.