TRX-2: Where To Start

Status
Not open for further replies.

devolic

I am really thinking about getting this scanner. I've only had cheap scanners so I'm unfamiliar where to start. I pretty much read the manual yesterday. Should the first thing that I do is update EZ Scan then the other two things. Is the EZ Scan software easy to use for a novice? Any tips would be appreciated.

Thank-You,
Doug

tbharper

Premium Subscriber
I would do all the updates first. Yes, EZ scan is easy to use. Just like everything that is new, it takes time to get used to it, but you will have no problem at all.

troymail

Silent Key
After the updates - something you might want to do just to see how things work is to perform a zip code import into EZ Scan and then click on the conventional and trunked systems tabs and see how things look in the software. You might also then click on some trunked system rows in the trunked systems tab and see the site and talkgroup information that is displayed on the bottom section of that tab for each system.

Sort columns - click and Control-A to select rows... get a feel for things.

I strongly recommend that you NOT try to make any customizations of programming in EZ Scan at first. Treat every configuration as "throw away" for a while.

Update the library and use the library import function liberally for a while. That way, you can just keep wiping out (or starting new) configurations. Changes to configurations are immediate - that is, they overwrite and are saved right away (there is no "File->Save"). Therefore, if you do make a config that you want to keep, File->Archive it or simply start a new V-Scanner folder (File->New Configuration).

The more you play and experiment, the more comfortable you will get with the software.

devolic

Thanks guys i remember it said to update the CPU and stuff with the power off. Should I do that before I even turn the radio on for the first time?

troymail

Silent Key
Thanks guys i remember it said to update the CPU and stuff with the power off. Should I do that before I even turn the radio on for the first time?

Your choice -- you'll want to do it sooner or later.... You'll definitely want to update the database/library - it changes every week.

It's all about getting familiar and comfortable with your new radio.

lou9155

i used to own a trx2 it and was a horrible experience...did you research the bcd536? its much more user friendly easier to program and navigate..keep your options open

troymail

Silent Key
i used to own a trx2 it and was a horrible experience...did you research the bcd536? its much more user friendly easier to program and navigate..keep your options open

Everyone has different experiences for different reasons - just because something works or doesn't work for you doesn't mean the same holds true for others. There is no one size fits all.

lou9155

Everyone has different experiences for different reasons - just because something works or doesn't work for you doesn't mean the same holds true for others. There is no one size fits all.

that is my point ,to keep his options open..it was just my opinion from experience..no need to harsh on my post

Wackyracer

Premium Subscriber
I would skip CPU and DSP updates for now, get familiar with the scanner, play and have some fun for a bit. Start by checking the RR data base for your zipcode, see what you want, then after installing ezscan update the library, then go to library import tab, select the "preferred" method (not zip code as that puts a lot of stuff you may not want to listen to on your scanner and slows down the scanning speed causing you to miss stuff.) , now pick and chose what you want to monitor. Import them, I recommend analog and trunking be separated into different scan list, And different trunking systems also separated into different scanlist or you can do all that later.

Use a memory card reader for the next step as it is 10 times faster then the USB cable, Now select prepare sd card from upper left drop down, check off import data and library, when done EJECT the card via windows Before you physically remove from the card reader,

Put the card back in the scanner and power it on. Select "scan" when it appears on the display.

Let it scan and enjoy it, now you can work on tweaking what you imported into ezscan and getting the comport driver working so you can update the DSP and CPU firmware and clock, this must be done via usb cable.

DJ11DLN

Keeping one's options open is always a good idea. Some will find Sentinel easier than E-Z Scan, some the converse.

Personally, Sentinel gives me a headache, where I find E-Z Scan at least as intuitive as several of the Land Mobile CPS I use -- more than some -- but that's just my experience.

Read, read, read, make use of the search function, utilize the many Youtube how-to videos, ask questions about what you don't understand or don't find answers for, and make your decision on what to get from a more informed standpoint. Both scanners mentioned here are good units and will get the job done...it's a Ford vs Chevy/Miller vs Bud thing. Make at least fairly sure you're not buying a Chevy if you are at heart a Ford guy.

troymail

Silent Key
How do you add Lake State Railway? The page I got from RR says it's DMR & NXDN. However when I go here it's just listed as DMR. Am I missing something here - https://digitalfrequencysearch.com/index.php

Iosco County, MI

The digitalfrequencysearch search tool provides FCC license data that indicates the licensee is authorized for various emission types (i.e. DMR, NXDN, P25, etc.). However, it does not mean that the licensee is actually using those emissions - it just means they are authorized.

There are many licensees that are updating their licences for digital modes but haven't changes yet. In other cases, there are some who are getting approval for one emsision type (like DMR) but are actually using NXDN....

I see Lake State Railway listing in the digitalfrequencysearch as DMR. You can get a file from that tool that is able to be copied and pasted into EZ Scan.

Where (else) are you seeing the Lake State Railway DMR/NXDN?

devolic

Ok I want to think everyone that helped me but I noticed something and I don't know if this is normal. I noticed it today but not yesterday. When it's on a P25 Phase 1 system I notice that briefly the squelch is open for DMR. When I receive a signal it briefly cuts out when it does and also shows FM as being active. Is that normal for the system? It doesn't happen all the time. Like I said I never noticed it yesterday.

devolic

Ya, The icon with the black box with a capital "S". It just appears briefly not all the time and more off than on.

troymail

Silent Key
The S isn't specific to DMR.... it just means that something is breaking squelch. If you see it on a P25 system, it usually means there is a signal present (possibly a control channel) but the radio isn't decoding it as such.

devolic

The manual shows two squelch icons. The one that I'm talking about says "Squelch circuit (or "gate") is open DMR". Is that what you're talking about?

troymail

Silent Key
The manual shows two squelch icons. The one that I'm talking about says "Squelch circuit (or "gate") is open DMR". Is that what you're talking about?

Yeah - I see that in the manual now... not sure really why that is there other than that symbol was added to firmware around the time DMR and/or NXDN was added to the firmware.

All I can tell you is that I see the inverted S (same location as the inverted T trunking symbol) at various times including when monitoring a NXDN system control channel and even when getting signal from one or more P25 trunk system frequencies if/when the signal isn't of sufficient quality to decode the control channel. In fact, looking at it closely this morning, I briefly see the S (just a split second flicker) before the "T" appears for my local trunk system/site.

Status
Not open for further replies.