WS1088: Whistler WS1088

Status
Not open for further replies.

cdmahnke

I recently bought my scanner and I am finally getting around to programming it. However, when I try to install the updates it says it doesn't recognize the USB cable. This cable is the one that came with the scanner and had never been used prior to this week. What am I doing wrong or what could the problem be? Pleaser help.

Sent from my LG-H918 using Tapatalk

bob550

Premium Subscriber
Welcome to the forum! Does your computer recognize and load the drivers for the cable upon connecting to it? What exactly is telling you the cable isn't recognized, the computer, scanner, or Whistler software?

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
I recently bought my scanner and I am finally getting around to programming it. However, when I try to install the updates it says it doesn't recognize the USB cable. This cable is the one that came with the scanner and had never been used prior to this week. What am I doing wrong or what could the problem be? Pleaser help.

Welcome to Radio Reference!

Did you install the proper driver software for the USB cable/scanner? If not your computer probably is seeing the scanner only as a microSD card reader, and not the scanner.

Wackyracer

Premium Subscriber

You have to install the COMPORT driver AND if using windows 8-10 you must use the unsigned driver procedure.

cdmahnke

You have to install the COMPORT driver AND if using windows 8-10 you must use the unsigned driver procedure.
Wackyracer, thanks for that info...yes, I have Windows 8, how do I do it then? And what is the unsigned driver procedure? Can you please explain? Can you PLEASE explain how I would do what I need to do?.THANK YOU.

cdmahnke

Welcome to the forum! Does your computer recognize and load the drivers for the cable upon connecting to it? What exactly is telling you the cable isn't recognized, the computer, scanner, or Whistler software?
Wackyracer, thanks for that info...yes, I have Windows 8, how do I do it then? And what is the unsigned driver procedure? Can you please explain? Can you PLEASE explain how I would do what I need to do?.THANK YOU.

Bob550, I would assume it's the scanner software or it would be the scanner, that I am not sure. It loads the library from RadioReference to my hard drive or so it says. When I plug in the USB cable, the scanner screen days initializing the SD card, then a box pops up that says the computer does not recognize the USB cable. I am not totally computer savy, usually just know enough to get by, But all this had me stumped. Can someone help me please.

cdmahnke

Welcome to Radio Reference!

Did you install the proper driver software for the USB cable/scanner? If not your computer probably is seeing the scanner only as a microSD card reader, and not the scanner.
I think you are correct on this RadioReference, can you specifically explain what I need to do PLEASE?!!

Wackyracer

Premium Subscriber

In this whistler forum, there is a whole thread on it that is stuck in the top 10 list of posts under the Whislter forum.

cdmahnke

In this whistler forum, there is a whole thread on it that is stuck in the top 10 list of posts under the Whislter forum.
I found it, thank you so much Wackyracer. You were very helpful. I haven't used these forums before. I guess it shows, thanks again for leading me in right direction.

cdmahnke

Wackyracer, again, thanks for the info on the thread and your info. I tried the thread info and yours multi times, still couldn't get it to recognize the USB cable. It would recognize the SD card, but wouldn't let me record info to it and even if I took the SD card out and put it directly into a card reader then it wouldn't recognize the card at all. I tried and tried for over 2 hrs, still a no-go. Totally frustrating!!

cdmahnke

I think you are correct on this RadioReference, can you specifically explain what I need to do PLEASE?!!

You're right exactly it is only seeing it as a SD drive only. How do I get the USB to be recognized and where would I get the USB driver?

Wackyracer

Premium Subscriber
You're right exactly it is only seeing it as a SD drive only. How do I get the USB to be recognized and where would I get the USB driver?

The scanner has to be turned off for firmware updates then you test the comport by trying to set the clock via ezscan. You could also have a bad usb cable. but most times it's windows not playing nice.

the usb cable is only needed to update DSP, CPU firmware and the clock via usb, other then that you program the scanner by putting the micro sd card in a card reader and it is 10x faster then the usb cable.

Also try deleting the comport driver, then power down the computer, wait 30 secs then power on and with the scanner turned off, reinstall the driver, use the direct download for the pc driver here: https://whistlergroup.com/pages/ws1088-downloads

Be sure to do the "allow unsigned driver" procedure, if it still doesn't work reboot the pc and try to set the clock on the scanner, if that work then you should be able to update the firmwares.

Status
Not open for further replies.