TRX-1: Encryption

Status
Not open for further replies.

Watchman1

My manual says the TRX 1 display will show " E " on the display when receiving encrypted transmissions . My local PD is supposedly using P25 but the display says DMR and it sounds like an encrypted signal. Is it an issue with the settings or a normal indication ? So far I have never seen the "E" icon show up.

troymail

Silent Key
Yup... lots of DMR on that page.... I'm trying to remember if DMR displays the E for encryption. I'm thinking that feature doesn't work correctly for TDMA (DMR and P25 Phase 2) but I could be wrong.

Watchman1

Yes...it sounds like it is encrypted......It is for Waynesboro PD. I get transmissions on 4 different frequencies.....453.1750, 453.3375, 453.3875, 453.5375. I can hear similar traffic in surrounding counties and they don't show up as encrypted either. Just wondered if anyone knew why it didn't show up.....Thanks.

troymail

Silent Key
Yes...it sounds like it is encrypted......It is for Waynesboro PD. I get transmissions on 4 different frequencies.....453.1750, 453.3375, 453.3875, 453.5375. I can hear similar traffic in surrounding counties and they don't show up as encrypted either. Just wondered if anyone knew why it didn't show up.....Thanks.

Yup - all listed as DMR in the database.

I'm pretty sure neither Whistler or Uniden properly detect encryption on TDMA (two-slot) signals (P25 Phase 2 and DMR). Both also allow these signals to pass through as "noise" on your scanner.

That is in contrast to P25 conventional and P25 Phase 1 -- Whistler will detect it, display the "E", and give you options of what you hear when detected. Uniden usually suppresses these and tries to make it non-existent (with no user configurable options).

Ed6698

My WS1095 appears to detect encrypted signals and does not allow them to pass through. it shows the E, this is on a 700mhz P25 Phase II system.

troymail

Silent Key

Ok - that is the system I thought you were talking about --

Some Phase 2 systems are really mostly Phase 1 - others are Phase 2 and some talkgroups can revert to Phase 1 (temporarily) when necessary.

Perhaps something has changed in the scanner firmware (I don't have any Phase 2 around me at this point). I'll have to look closely on my travels next week.

Ed6698

Ok - that is the system I thought you were talking about --

Some Phase 2 systems are really mostly Phase 1 - others are Phase 2 and some talkgroups can revert to Phase 1 (temporarily) when necessary.

Perhaps something has changed in the scanner firmware (I don't have any Phase 2 around me at this point). I'll have to look closely on my travels next week.

I just press skip when a encrypted signal comes through, I have it set for busy signal. however I restore the skipped TGs every so often, I do that just in case a unencrypted signal comes through, which has happened a couple times.

Status
Not open for further replies.