Help with Whistler 1098

Status
Not open for further replies.

WerewolfOne

I received a Whistler 1098 today as a gift. Other then an issue with "Error Code 4.00" which was quickly rectified with advice found on Radio Reference.com I got it out and set up without a great deal of difficulty.

1) However, I can't hear anything with it. The antenna is hooked up securely (it picks up the weather o.k) but nothing else. Set it up using the quick start guide, entered the state, county and agencies I wanted to listen to, set up then selected a scan list, it started to scan. Nothing.
2) I then tried entering my zip code and it loaded EVERYTHING in my area (Grand Traverse County). Still nothing. Any ideas how I get rid of that???

Anyway, I've had analog scanners in the past, so thought I was reasonably savvy with how to set this up. The chances are it's something simple I'm not doing. Can any of you folks help???

Best Regards

Joe D

03msc

RF is RF
Premium Subscriber
Are you utilizing the EZ Scan software at all? Or strictly doing this from the scanner front panel?

Just wondering this and then we'll go from there.

W3DMV

Wonder what system you down loaded. “MPSCS” ?

To delete a system:
select “browse objects” push “select”
push < > to find your system
push menu
scroll to the bottom of the list “delete object”
push “sel button to erase system..

WerewolfOne

Hello!

I'm doing this using the scanner front pane from the "SD" card which is preinstalled in the unit. Nothing else has been downloaded or added to the card (by USB cable from my PC).

Best Regards

Joe D

WerewolfOne

Hello!

Guess what I should have made clear is how do I get rid of the lists of agencies being scanned which are created when "location" is set???

Best Regards

Joe D

03msc

RF is RF
Premium Subscriber
Hello!

Guess what I should have made clear is how do I get rid of the lists of agencies being scanned which are created when "location" is set???

Best Regards

Joe D

That's the database. You don't want to get "rid" of that - that's a feature of those scanners (and the Uniden scanners, too, for that matter) with the ability to use location based scanning.

The database on the SD card likely needs updating (it's updated weekly but you don't necessarily have to update weekly, but every few months at least is advisable, or when you see that things have been updated for your area by looking at the database on this site).

Now, you can turn on and off what categories of channels you want to listen to when utilizing location based scanning and it's in the menu somewhere (again, the EZ Scan software makes this easier to do and that's what I'm familiar with).

It sounds like you need to use the EZ Scan software to customize what you want to hear - import systems or frequencies, put them in scan lists as you desire so you can turn them on/off as you wish, etc.

The software comes with every scanner and is free.

troymail

Silent Key
In addition to updating the database, you;ll want to (at some point) update the CPU and DSP firmware as well. The latest firmware corrected a location-based import issue that could easily be affecting your reception if using older firmware (most likely, you are).

Ultimately, zip code or location based programming is a good start but you'll really want to use the EZ Scan software and tune your programming to what you want to try to monitor.

In EZ Scan, you do more or less the same location based import but the advantage is that, in EZ Scan, you can see both all of the stuff that was added AND how it is programmed. Both help you be better understand how the scanner and systems work.

Happy to assist....

WerewolfOne

Hello!:

Thanks to everyone who replied. I had been monkeying around with it most of the afternoon by that point and starting to get pretty "frazzled".What I was trying to do at that point was undo all the locations which entering my zipcode installed and get back to "zero" or starting point.Eventually managed to discover how to do that after wandering through the "global settings" menu.

All good advice about updating the database library, CPU and DSP firmware, too.Several people mentioned having success with using the method where the "SD" card is inserted directly into the "SD" card reader of the PC, rather then attaching the scanner to the PC by USB cable.They also described how the issue I first described (seeing "Code 4.00") can apparently be rectified by using a new, better quality "SD" card, re-formatting the "SD" card, which has the database library, CPU and DSP firmware updates being written to it for the first time.Installed "EZ Scan" on my PC last night, still no signs of life from the Whistler.Am I correct in saying if this process is not followed correctly the scanner won't turn on and scan???

I'm going to drive into town after fishing my chores today and get a better, higher capacity "SD" card. I'm planning to go through all those steps again-i.e. remove the face plate, "SD" card, then reinstall the "SD" card, hold power button for 30 seconds, then reformat the new "SD" card, with the database library, CPU and DSP firmware updates.

Literally the first thing I tried was double checking the antenna then other antennas being used.I don't think we're out of range because my old analog scanners picked up everything which was broadcast in Traverse City with the same antennas being used now.

Again, I am beginning to get pretty frustrated with this scanner.It cost nearly $400 +. I've tried all the fixes and still no signs of life.I am starting to think this scanner has got another issue which all those steps won't fix.Getting dangerously close to just boxing it up and sending it back to Amazon.

Best Regards
Joe D

Wackyracer

Premium Subscriber
Use ezscan and a card reader for all library and data base transfers, it is 10x faster then the usb cable. For firmware updates and to set the clock via a pc you MUST use the usb cable

First go to the radio reference data base and look up the your area and decide what you want and don't want, Then In ezscan, update the library, then got to library import tab,select the "preferred" method.

Under preferred method look for what you want and only check those off, once done import them into scanlist, put each trunking system in its own list, put al analog in a separate list.

Once you import them into ezscan, you can go and change the name of each scanlist, Makes sur you check each scanlist of or it won't have anything to scan.

When your ready, with the sd card in the reader, copy all the TO the sd card/scanner. when complete, make sure to use windows to eject the sd cards BEFORE you physically remove it from the reader, once widows gives you the ok, put the card in the scanner and power on, press scan when that appears.

BrianG61UK

If the 1098 is like the 1088 then it'll only work reliably with a cheap SD card no faster than about class 4.
I find black class 4 Sandisk ones are okay. Faster Sandisk ones tend to skip when recording and seem more likely to get corrupt too. Kingston class 4 SD cards are hopeless and get corrupt very easily in the 1088.

Also a number of things go slower with cards larger than 4GB. Mainly the scanner starts up a lot slower when you switch it on but also it's slower scrolling through your recordings, for instance if you want to scroll through a the first couple of thousand recordings and choose 'Delete earlier recordings' because the card is full.

AC9BX

You'll want to use EZ Scan software, it's free and will make your life easier.

First let's be sure the radio works. Dial up the weather service or something always on and simple. Then move on to the more complex. You will likely want to set the radio up to suit your own taste anyway. It's a convenient thing having this database available and you can enter your location and have all this stuff available to hear. But you may or may not want to hear all that and you may want it organized to your liking. If it were me I'd just start there. Use this site's database and begin putting things it you want to hear. You can save that configuration on your computer and move on. Then restore the archive if you want to go back. Or use different SD cards, or create virtual scanners. As you go along you'll most likely want to set up scan lists to your preferences.

You may also find this useful, Mark's 'easier to read' guide.
Easier to Read Whistler WS1095/1098 Base/Mobile Scanner and Software Manual

Expensive versus cheap SD card doesn't matter. Some work better than others regardless of brand or size or price. What's more is sometimes the actual chips used in one brand-model-size will change over time and what one person says works well no longer does, or vice-versa. Larger cards will take longer for it to start up. The card that shipped with my radio was defective. These things happen.

Setting these radios up is not at all difficult. It is however extremely tedious when you get into large trunk systems if you try it all from the radio panel and it can be easy to get lost.

wb5nbq

Trying the WX to see if it is receiving is a good suggestion. If that's working, go to Whistler's site and download EZ-Scan for the WS1098 and install. Check for all updates in EZ-Scan, be sure scanner is OFF and connect to PC with the USB cable. Do any updates that are needed. New Configuration clears all current scanlists. I recommend USE PREFERRED in library imports to select your city/county and pick what you want to put into your scanlists. If you use zip code, it uprs info int scanlists starting at 151. Now that you have something to put on an SD card, I suggest in EZ-Scan, "prepare Memory/SD card for use", check all three boxes (copy config, copy library, use quick format) verify that the drive to format IS YOUR SD CARD (use SD card reader to plug into USB slot). Enter to prepare the card, after it's done, eject the SD drive, with scanner off, insert into scanner... you should be good to go. hope this helps you...

WerewolfOne

Hello!:

Sorry about the lateness of my response.(I work shifts). Thanks to all who replied with all the good suggestions, too.Went through all the trouble shooting steps again,tried all the fixes and still no signs of life.I've had analog scanners in the past and thought I was reasonably savvy with how to set up and troubleshoot any minor issues.If itwas an older unit I would have felt differently about buying other "SD" cards, etc.I think this scanner had other issues which all those steps wouldn't fix.Only got it out of the box on Saturday.To me there was something seriously wrong somewhere to have so much trouble so soon.To me it was either a problem with the "SD" card or the radio itself because it diodn't seem to want to save anything correctly.Anyway, enough.It went back to Amazon.

Back to square one and tried a Whistler TRX-2.Great radio,too.Got it up and going fairly easily.Installed all current updates then created scan lists for Grand Traverse, Kalkaska and Wexford Counties,Michigan (They're in the Traverse City area).Scan lists were created for each area of interest,i.e Police,Fire and Airport.The V-Scan folders were copied to the "SD" Card,then loaded into the scanner.I found it will pick up local rural fire departments and the airport but not Police,Sheriff or Fire from Traverse City.(Also weather). This would lead me to think the antenna is hooked up correctly and working.I don't think they're encrypted (the only place I know which uses NXDN is Munson Hospital).

Now what? Any ideas?

Best Regards
Joe D

Wackyracer

Premium Subscriber
Hello!:

Sorry about the lateness of my response.(I work shifts). Thanks to all who replied with all the good suggestions, too.Went through all the trouble shooting steps again,tried all the fixes and still no signs of life.I've had analog scanners in the past and thought I was reasonably savvy with how to set up and troubleshoot any minor issues.If itwas an older unit I would have felt differently about buying other "SD" cards, etc.I think this scanner had other issues which all those steps wouldn't fix.Only got it out of the box on Saturday.To me there was something seriously wrong somewhere to have so much trouble so soon.To me it was either a problem with the "SD" card or the radio itself because it diodn't seem to want to save anything correctly.Anyway, enough.It went back to Amazon.

Back to square one and tried a Whistler TRX-2.Great radio,too.Got it up and going fairly easily.Installed all current updates then created scan lists for Grand Traverse, Kalkaska and Wexford Counties,Michigan (They're in the Traverse City area).Scan lists were created for each area of interest,i.e Police,Fire and Airport.The V-Scan folders were copied to the "SD" Card,then loaded into the scanner.I found it will pick up local rural fire departments and the airport but not Police,Sheriff or Fire from Traverse City.(Also weather). This would lead me to think the antenna is hooked up correctly and working.I don't think they're encrypted (the only place I know which uses NXDN is Munson Hospital).

Now what? Any ideas?

Best Regards
Joe D
Start a new thread and be sure to check out your states forums on RR.

Status
Not open for further replies.