Whistler 1098 & 1088 refurb 275.00 4-2-2018

Status
Not open for further replies.

Papa-Bill

They have the refurbs up as of today 1098 and a 1088, both 275.00
Is this a good opportunity to get one or should I hold for a TRX-2 still.

On second thought, theres alot of people in my area using NDXN so will wait for a TRX.

bubbaearle

Premium Subscriber
Caveat Emptor

I ordered a 1098 last week and just got it Monday.

I initially powered it on and loaded local frequencies by zip code just to hear how well it sounded. So far so good.....no issues, clear sound, reception great on distant AWIN (AR statewide TRS) towers. All is well.

I then download software, install it (disabling WinDefender as it saw it as trojanware) and upgrade firmware & DSP. Writing to scanner from PC was very slow. Loaded a CDAT file onto SD card from PC to scanner via software / cable, took forever.

Unhooked it from PC and powered back on and get nothing but a string of errors code 04-00, 04-01, 04-02, code 03-00, failure to power on, blinking backlight, etc. :evil:

After searching for same issues from other members I find some fixes to try:

Buying a new SD card​

Changing USB cable for firmware only​

Copy/paste data from PC to SD card via card writer - not via USB cable.
I try again yesterday afternoon setting up the 1098......

Formatted new 16GB SD card on PC - insert into scanner​

Upgraded firmware & DSP via new USB cable - wrote to scanner quickly - no long pauses this time.​

Took SD card out of scanner and copied set up from 668/1088 to card via card reader in PC​

Installed SD card into scanner & booted up...worked fine - same set up in 668/1088​

I'm glad I searched RR for a solution before sending it back.

After all that mess to get it running, I put the original SanDisk 4GB SD card (generic looking - not what ya find in the store) that shipped with the radio in the PC card reader and it immediately came up with "Windows found errors on...blah, blah, blah" dialog box and wanted to do a scan & fix. New 16 GB card for $10 fixed me right up. So far so good.

Status
Not open for further replies.