Wait or get TRX 1?

Status
Not open for further replies.

melbournefan

Hey,

So i'm waiting to decide if I should wait for May or get the TRX1. Would there be a price drop in the TRX1 once the new one comes out?

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

TailGator911

Silent Key/KF4ANC
Here's my 02 cents...I would get the TRX-1 only because the kinks and quirks are pretty much dealt with and resolved and I find it to be a fantastic radio. Taking into consideration all of the difficulties most scanner manufacturers seem to go thru to get their product 'right' after it is released to the public, I myself am going to wait and watch the forums and the general opinions about the new Uniden before I pull the trigger. I have bought brand new-released radio products impulsively quite a few times only to pack them up a month later to be serviced or upgraded.

Until then, I am very happy with my TRX-1, it is possibly the best handheld scanner I have owned since the BD200XLT came out way back when ... when things were simple. :)

JD
kf4anc

TailGator911

Silent Key/KF4ANC
Brian, I assume the OP is referring to the Uniden SDS-100 digital scanner that is due to be released here in a couple of months.

TailGator911

Silent Key/KF4ANC
Ok I remember that post now. So we wait on the edge of our seats for the summer's festivities. Hamfest is right down the road from me and just a few weeks away, maybe I can bribe some information out of Wendy. Buy her lunch at Wendy's maybe? See what happens! haha

JD
kf4anc

JD21960

Premium Subscriber
WAIT

WAIT. I saw YouTube yesterday underneath one of the SDS-100 videos some sad (new) BCD436HP owner wrote "Great, I just got my BCD436" in response to the new Uniden SDS 100 and it's Simulcast trunked capabilities. Don't be like that guy. WAIT.

Wilrobnson

Rock or Something
FWIW, I was all set to buy 2 more TRX-1s when two things happened:

1- The hint that 'something' may be announced at Dayton; and

2- The AOR DV-10.

The DV-10 doesn't do trunking, but that's not entirely a deal-breaker for me. I figure at this point I'll wait til May and either pick up whatever Whistler has up their sleeve and a DV-10, or go back to my original plan and purchase two more TRX-1s and maybe wait a month to buy the AOR.

Either way, I get what I want and Uniden doesn't see dime of my money...with a nickel later on to unlock what that dime could already do.

melbournefan

I'm not really interested in the new SDS 100. The paid upgrades just sound bland compared to the TRX 1.

Even if I do wait, what more am I going to get? TETRA?, I don't need TETRA decoding because the local Tetra system here is going to go offline in around a years time.

DMR, NXDN, P25 Phase I and Phase II is all I really need as the local Phase I system here is slowly going to Phase II.

Even If Whistler released a new scanner, it's probably going to be way out of my price range but will probably make the TRX 1 cheaper which is what i'm worried about if I get it now.

downsrep

Was I too impulsive on getting the TRX-1 for Christmas? I hadn’t gotten a new scanner since my Radio Shack Pro-96 which still works. After doing research I thought the TRX-1 was the best portable scanner out there. I just want to make sure I made a good buy.

Machria

Premium Subscriber
Was I too impulsive on getting the TRX-1 for Christmas? I hadn’t gotten a new scanner since my Radio Shack Pro-96 which still works. After doing research I thought the TRX-1 was the best portable scanner out there. I just want to make sure I made a good buy.

Nope, you will love the TRX1!

To the OP, get one, you will also love it. And 3 years from now, when something new comes out that actually works better, then get that. You know, like the iPhones, a new one comes out every year, with almost no differences, then 3 or 4 years later a REAL "new model" comes out with some cool stuff! ;)

VA3SOM

Premium Subscriber
I opted for the TRX-1 to replace my outdated 396XT as most stuff here is moving to DMR or NXDN or P25 II (the big Metrolinx/GO Transit P25 system moved to phase 2 that was a big reason for me getting it). Not disappointed at all so far, works well and does what i need.

CQ

Don't Do It

I'd say pass and go with the SDS100, or wait on the desktop/mobile version (I will be). No more excuses about NXDN (if you even need it - nothing worth listening here) when the BCDx36HP series have support now. Glad I got rid of my TRX-2 just before the grace period ran out.:lol:

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
I would say wait. The SDS100 actually decodes simulcast properly, and perhaps Whistler will announce something to compete with it in May.

TailGator911

Silent Key/KF4ANC
Yeah I only suggested to wait on the first run of the SDS-100 in order to hear some feedback and reviews on it. Get the TRX-1 and wait until the hoopla settles on the SDS-100, then get it, too. We can never have too many scanners.

JD
kf4anc

Status
Not open for further replies.