RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog
 

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > Scanners, Receivers and Related Equipment Forums > Whistler Scanners


Whistler Scanners - For discussion of Whistler branded scanners.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #21 (permalink)  
Old 04-14-2018, 5:31 PM
Member
   
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Pequannock, NJ
Posts: 863
Default

You mention a "heartbeat" on the frequency. Is this an IP connect system? What I am listening to is a conventional DMR repeater. No IP Site Connect.

I have set up the TRX-2 scanner locked on the frequency, a PC running DSD+ fed with discriminator audio from a different receiver, and the XPR7550e. DSD+ and the XPR decode 100%. The TRX-2 misses short transmission (10-4, etc) and is slow to unmute on some transmissions.

The CRC issue is Motorola RAS changes the header of the voice packet by injecting an encoded stream of bits for RAS transmissions. That makes the header different from RAS to non-RAS transmissions. This changes the CRC check for the packet.

I've had a Uniden 436. 536, TRX-1, and two TRX-2 scanners and all of those were not 100% in decoding RAS.

Getting back to my original thought on this reply. If you are monitoring an IP Site Connect system then maybe that is handled different than a straight conventional DMR repeater.
Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
  #22 (permalink)  
Old 04-14-2018, 8:46 PM
Member
   
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Posts: 4,659
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketNJ View Post
The CRC issue is Motorola RAS changes the header of the voice packet by injecting an encoded stream of bits for RAS transmissions. That makes the header different from RAS to non-RAS transmissions. This changes the CRC check for the packet.
Which is no reason for scanners to fail to deliver audio. It doesn't stop DSD+, so all of the required information is obviously present, despite the mangled CRCs.
Reply With Quote
  #23 (permalink)  
Old 04-14-2018, 8:57 PM
jtech48's Avatar
Member
   
Join Date: May 2009
Location: OVB
Posts: 243
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketNJ View Post
You mention a "heartbeat" on the frequency.
I believe what he means is that short data burst that the repeaters send out every couple of seconds, conventional systems do this also.
__________________
In Flying, Carelessness And Overconfidence Are Usually Far More Dangerous Than Deliberately Accepted Risks
WQOE503
Reply With Quote
  #24 (permalink)  
Old 04-15-2018, 7:59 AM
Member
   
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Pequannock, NJ
Posts: 863
Default

The system I monitor does not send out short data bursts. The adjacent town which is an IP Site Connect system does.

Not sure why the scanners are slow to decode RAS but one of the primary reasons I bought a new XPR7550e.
Reply With Quote
  #25 (permalink)  
Old 04-15-2018, 8:59 AM
MikeOxlong's Avatar
Forums Manager/Global DB Admin/Commie
  RadioReference Database Admininstrator
Database Admin
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Central Ontario
Posts: 10,192
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketNJ View Post
Not sure why the scanners are slow to decode RAS but one of the primary reasons I bought a new XPR7550e.

I'm hoping you didn't buy that radio to monitor RAS equipped systems?

If so, hopefully you've got the RAS key otherwise you won't hear anything.
__________________
Mike.

Sorry but I don't accept PM's. Please use email instead.
Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
  #26 (permalink)  
Old 04-15-2018, 12:30 PM
Member
   
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Object-oriented
Posts: 657
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketNJ View Post
Comparing it to an XPR7550e with proper RAS code and you can really hear how slow the TRX-2 is to decode.
So a professional grade radio with authorized system access and programming is better at decoding than a hobbyist scanner?

Apples and oranges.

My XL-200 with weekly OTAR'd encryption keys receives our P25 system WAY better than any of my TRX-1 radios...
__________________
President-In-Exile, Seattle Area Radio Communications And Scanner Traffic Intercept Crew (SARCASTIC)
Reply With Quote
  #27 (permalink)  
Old 04-15-2018, 5:34 PM
Member
   
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Pequannock, NJ
Posts: 863
Default

Yes I am, I do have the RAS key loaded on a RX only channel. My point is the TRX-2 is not as good as either the paid version of DSD+ or a XPR7550e.

And again, this is with all receiving radios listening to the frequency and not scanning. I do not know how Whistler is validating an unencrypted voice call over other traffic on the frequency. If we knew how Whistler validates a DMR packet and decodes we could probably explain the differences.

I find the Whistler TRX-2 decoding our P25 phase 1 system does very well, even when stacked up against my APX 8000 or 8500. It just has slight issues with RAS enabled channels.
Reply With Quote
  #28 (permalink)  
Old 04-15-2018, 7:22 PM
Member
   
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Object-oriented
Posts: 657
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketNJ View Post
Yes I am, I do have the RAS key loaded on a RX only channel. My point is the TRX-2 is not as good as either the paid version of DSD+ or a XPR7550e.
That was my sole point, it's not honest to compare the XPR with the RAS key to the scanner.
__________________
President-In-Exile, Seattle Area Radio Communications And Scanner Traffic Intercept Crew (SARCASTIC)
Reply With Quote
  #29 (permalink)  
Old 04-15-2018, 7:38 PM
Member
   
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Pequannock, NJ
Posts: 863
Default

my point is the TRX-2 does not decode RAS DMR 100%.
Reply With Quote
  #30 (permalink)  
Old 04-15-2018, 8:39 PM
Member
   
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: England
Posts: 342
Default

Whistler probably assume, rightly or wrongly, that it would be illegal to crack the RAS key if that part of RAS is in use. The other part of RAS just restricts the Radio IDs that can transmit through a repeater and is irrelevant to scanner users.
Reply With Quote
  #31 (permalink)  
Old 04-16-2018, 7:13 AM
Member
   
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Pequannock, NJ
Posts: 863
Default

The RAS key is never transmitted over the air. It is programmed in all radios and the repeater.

You cannot crack it by monitoring over the air.
Reply With Quote
  #32 (permalink)  
Old 04-16-2018, 8:54 AM
Member
   
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 23
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketNJ View Post
my point is the TRX-2 does not decode RAS DMR 100%.
And it's even worse on DMR trunked systems.
Reply With Quote
  #33 (permalink)  
Old 04-18-2018, 4:56 AM
Melv7956's Avatar
Member
   
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 84
Default

I have had the following response I’m away from home so not been able to do so yet.

In order to help sort out your DMR issues we need your help.


Thanks for contacting us about your reception issues.
Follow the steps below that will help us determine what the issues are with your system that your monitoring.

1) Turn off and unplug the scanner.
2) Remove SD card and place in card reader
3) Access the SD card in Windows explorer and open the SD card. Open the LOG and REC folders and delete any files inside
4) Replace SD card in scanner
5) Turn on scanner and go to the Main Menu/program menu/Global settings
6) Go down to “Enable Record” option. Check the box
7) Continue to go down the menu list to the “PC/IF CCDump” option . Check it as well as the “to file” option. Save the changes.
8) Exit menu and go to Browse Objects and select the DMR frequencies you are having issues with and check off the “Record” option in each one.
8) IMPORTANT!! Double check that the clock is set to the correct time.
9) Exit menu and start monitoring the system you are having issues with.

After a few good receptions go back into the SD card and send us the files in the LOG and REC folders. You may have to zip
them if too big to email.

If using a DSP+ or other comparison scanning receiver make sure that its system clock is the same setting as the Whistler
Scanner so logs can be compared via time stamps. It will make it much faster for the Software engineer to review.

Plus, any notes on the reception ( also include a time stamp) - did it come in ok, garbled or dead air or didn't unsquelch as
compared to the other receiver. Again; Details and timestamps along with corresponding audio recordings are important.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Reply With Quote
  #34 (permalink)  
Old 04-18-2018, 5:05 AM
Member
   
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 11
Default DMR with RAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melv7956 View Post
I have had the following response I’m away from home so not been able to do so yet.

In order to help sort out your DMR issues we need your help.


Thanks for contacting us about your reception issues.
Follow the steps below that will help us determine what the issues are with your system that your monitoring.

1) Turn off and unplug the scanner.
2) Remove SD card and place in card reader
3) Access the SD card in Windows explorer and open the SD card. Open the LOG and REC folders and delete any files inside
4) Replace SD card in scanner
5) Turn on scanner and go to the Main Menu/program menu/Global settings
6) Go down to “Enable Record” option. Check the box
7) Continue to go down the menu list to the “PC/IF CCDump” option . Check it as well as the “to file” option. Save the changes.
8) Exit menu and go to Browse Objects and select the DMR frequencies you are having issues with and check off the “Record” option in each one.
8) IMPORTANT!! Double check that the clock is set to the correct time.
9) Exit menu and start monitoring the system you are having issues with.

After a few good receptions go back into the SD card and send us the files in the LOG and REC folders. You may have to zip
them if too big to email.

If using a DSP+ or other comparison scanning receiver make sure that its system clock is the same setting as the Whistler
Scanner so logs can be compared via time stamps. It will make it much faster for the Software engineer to review.

Plus, any notes on the reception ( also include a time stamp) - did it come in ok, garbled or dead air or didn't unsquelch as
compared to the other receiver. Again; Details and timestamps along with corresponding audio recordings are important.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


I had that same response end of last week, and sent the files in this past weekend.
Reply With Quote
  #35 (permalink)  
Old 04-18-2018, 7:09 AM
Member
   
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Pequannock, NJ
Posts: 863
Default

I will plug the TRX-2 back in a monitor the system.
Reply With Quote
  #36 (permalink)  
Old 04-18-2018, 10:22 AM
Member
   
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 23
Default

I had the same response from Whistler and sent the stuff a month ago.....no followup for now.
Reply With Quote
  #37 (permalink)  
Old 04-18-2018, 10:34 AM
Member
   
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Stockholm, Sweden
Posts: 1,941
Default

I reported but didn't receive any response. But I don't expect one either as my problem is that scanning doesn't stop so there's nothing to log.

/Ubbe
__________________
TRX-2 BCD536 HP1 BCT15 BC246 BC346 BR330 UBC3500 Pro2006 Pro2042 Optocom OS545 Scout PCR1000 ICR2500 IC75 DX394 AR8200 IC-R2 IC-R10 UBC780 MD380 CS580 CS750 Pro96 Perseus ADCR25 AcecoSC1plus RTL-SDR
Reply With Quote
  #38 (permalink)  
Old 05-14-2018, 11:26 AM
Member
   
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 23
Default

I have a friend that updated his Uniden for NXDN and saw in the release notes something about RAS improvements.

The problems he had with RAS (same as Whistler) seem to be gone now.

Whistler : Any update coming to correct problems with RAS?
Reply With Quote
  #39 (permalink)  
Old 05-14-2018, 11:31 AM
jonwienke's Avatar
Member
   
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: PA
Posts: 8,884
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmc-dsm View Post
I have a friend that updated his Uniden for NXDN and saw in the release notes something about RAS improvements.

The problems he had with RAS (same as Whistler) seem to be gone now.
I can confirm that monitoring DMR systems with RAS works correctly now on the x36 series.
__________________
Gone camping.
Reply With Quote
  #40 (permalink)  
Old 05-14-2018, 5:08 PM
Member
   
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Pequannock, NJ
Posts: 863
Default

Yes, updated my friend's 536 and RAS decode of conventional DMR repeater is 100% accurate now when compared to a Motorola portable with proper RAS key installed.

Whistler still misses parts or all (short) transmissions. The TRX-2 is sitting here collecting dust. Reason I originally bought it was for DMR RAS receiving.

DO NOT LIKE the fact the scanner memory card gets corrupted if you remove power before the scanner is turned off by power button. Makes install into mobile completely useless if you want the scanner to turn on & off with key.

I will say P25 phase 1 decode is excellent.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
dmr, ras, trx-2

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 2:00 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
All information here is Copyright 2012 by RadioReference.com LLC and Lindsay C. Blanton III.Ad Management by RedTyger
Copyright 2015 by RadioReference.com LLC Privacy Policy  |  Terms and Conditions